Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar to leave OneWorld?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: LH HON
I'd hate to see them leave. I got so used connecting at DOH when flying from SEA to Europe.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
Just to get back to the original topic
Thanks!

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
He also alleged that AA is blocking inventory on the booking systems
Ah, that's new. I wonder if it's for QR/AA* codeshares, and I wonder if it's intentional or just the (backward) way Sabre handles codesharing (not real-time with underlying availability).

There's more about the gates in this Bloomberg article: it looks like QR wants to add another JFK frequency but AA doesn't want to make space for partners at the time QR wants access.

Last edited by hillrider; Jun 16, 2015 at 3:17 am
Old Jun 16, 2015, 4:50 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
If they decide to leave how much advance notice they need to give? I hope at least 6 months as my flight to AU is booked for November and I need the miles
Old Jun 16, 2015, 6:20 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by TPJ
If they decide to leave how much advance notice they need to give? I hope at least 6 months as my flight to AU is booked for November and I need the miles
Same here, i was thinking about buying a J ticket something for the end of the year... i'd be a bit sad if it resulted in the miles being "lost" for oneworld !
Old Jun 16, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Normally when airlines leave alliances (other than through bankruptcy) there is a reasonable notice period. Also, with the 10% of Qatar in IAG you might find that QR continues to be part of the Avios scheme.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Raffles Ambassador
Originally Posted by ckx2
I'd hate to see them leave. I got so used connecting at DOH when flying from SEA to Europe.
Agreed. Before actually trying it, I was vehemently opposed to transiting in the gulf on my way to the far east, now, I cant imagine not! It breaks the journey perfectly in my opinion.

Really hoping they don't go.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by ckx2
Do you mean South East Asia or Seattle ?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 11:38 am

I just filled in a customer feedback survey form stating that I chose QR to fly to Thailand (in J), because they are a member of OW.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:08 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by hillrider
Thanks!

Ah, that's new. I wonder if it's for QR/AA* codeshares, and I wonder if it's intentional or just the (backward) way Sabre handles codesharing (not real-time with underlying availability).

There's more about the gates in this Bloomberg article: it looks like QR wants to add another JFK frequency but AA doesn't want to make space for partners at the time QR wants access.
I don't understand why QR doesn't move to T7 at JFK if AA is unwilling to give QR the space. There will be plenty of space once UA vacates. Also, you have BA, CX, and IB that operate out of T7. A perfect arrangement since QR actually cooperates with IAG and CX.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by gemini573
I don't understand why QR doesn't move to T7 at JFK if AA is unwilling to give QR the space. There will be plenty of space once UA vacates. Also, you have BA, CX, and IB that operate out of T7. A perfect arrangement since QR actually cooperates with IAG and CX.
T8 is a much nicer terminal than T7. Not to mention that for connections QR using T8 is better for fliers. I don't think many people are going to connect from QR to BA, CX, or IB in JFK.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:48 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by skunker
T8 is a much nicer terminal than T7. Not to mention that for connections QR using T8 is better for fliers. I don't think many people are going to connect from QR to BA, CX, or IB in JFK.
I know T8 is a better space and is easier for connections, but if QR wants the 2nd daily, a move to T7 would solve that problem and would say to AA, stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

BA, CX, and IB passengers have to walk to T8 anyways to connect to AA flights. Same can be said at ORD where CX and BA use T5 but need to take a train to T3 to connect with AA.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gemini573
I don't understand why QR doesn't move to T7 at JFK if AA is unwilling to give QR the space.
Maybe because at the time those statements were made UA had not announced the move yet?

Yes, with these new developments T7 becomes an option. And I wonder if JL will move out of T1 to consolidate there and take advantage of alliance volume purchasing. Plus some other airline may leave T8 for T7 as well: AA mentioned that they had turned down another partner's request for gates in addition to QR's.

Last edited by hillrider; Jun 17, 2015 at 4:20 pm
Old Jun 17, 2015, 6:34 pm
formerly gemini573

Originally Posted by hillrider
Maybe because at the time those statements were made UA had not announced the move yet?
Even if the UA announcement wasn't made public, I'm sure there would be a lot of chatter/gossip, whatever you want to call it about the move.

Anyways, I think QR should stay in oneworld. They don't have to get along with AA. QR can just as well partner up with B6 or AS.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:55 am

http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2015/...astrophic.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.