Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar to leave OneWorld?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Loss of face? No need to worry about such things. You know that Al Baker would pull QR out of oneworld in a flash if he wanted to. And if he wants to, then it would be a loss of face to keep QR in.

He certainly comes across as impetuous and hot-headed - but I am not sure that, in this instance, this is anything other than bluster. I don't see that pulling QR out of oneworld would hurt AA in any way, but rather would affect Qatar. But if, instead, alliance membership hasn't delivered the boon that Qatar expected - perhaps they are not getting as many transfer pax as they had projected - and if it looks like QR's continuation in oneworld is more onerous and costly than the benefits it provides - then such a cover would be an ideal way to flounce out of the alliance again.

(He's probably more annoyed at AA deepening their relationship with Etihad, than anything else stated so far in this thread. AA quietly removed all restrictions on their FFP members as regards earning miles on Etihad services last month, and AA has recently been deepening their codeshare relationship with EY too. Al Baker could - rightly, perhaps - expect such deals to be with Qatar rather than with Etihad).

All that said - I can't imagine this will come to anything. He probably said it just to cause a stir - though I am surprised at how much mileage this particular utterance has received.
I was referring more to the airline being the face of Qatar, and probably the best known 'brand' they have. There are people higher up than AAB who will snap him into line if he says anything they don't like.

I do side with him on AA cosying up to EY though rather than QR.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I think Qatar, as a nation, has much bigger potential loss-of-face scenarios* in its immediate future than something as (relatively) trivial as what its flag carrier does or doesn't do in some industry "club" that most people have no interest in.

*the World Cup 2022 allocation process; and the spotlight that has been thrown on Qatar's preparations, being the foremost at the moment
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Why would they?

Etihad doesn't want or need to join an alliance. They have built their own virtual alliance - Etihad Airways Partners; and they partner with others as and when it makes sense (the Codeshare partners page on their website shows 37 codesharing partners; and it's not complete, because Aer Lingus (for one) is not listed on that page).

Etihad owns 29% of airberlin (oneworld) and 49% of Alitalia (Skyteam). They will continue to work with airlines from all alliances, and airlines that are unaligned, when it makes sense for Etihad to do so. They don't need to join any alliance to do this (in fact, joining an alliance may hamper their ability to work with partners outside of it). They won't be teaming up with any of these existing clubs...this strict "alliance" model is becoming outdated.
I believe that Etihad is doing exactly the same mistake as Swissair in the early 1990's, when they created that "Qualiflyer" group of mish-mash different airlines which had nothing in common, a pure ego trip which did not increase revenue but was a prelude to disaster. One really wonders what Darwin Airlines, Alitalia, Air Serbia and Air Berlin have in common, different products, unintegrated networks, computers which hardly speak to one another and uneasy connections. Today, you cannot always check-in only once for a trip involving several airlines in the group.

That mistake did not only set Swissair back, it killed it.
The only difference is that EY has deeper (bottomless?) pockets, and that it may constitute a clever investment very much down the road if Etihad ever grows enough to connect all the dots. That is both unlikely and far away.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
That mistake did not only set Swissair back, it killed it.
The only difference is that EY has deeper (bottomless?) pockets, and that it may constitute a clever investment very much down the road if Etihad ever grows enough to connect all the dots. That is both unlikely and far away.
It's a different topic than this thread, but it's all about buying access to markets. There's a good deal written about it if you Google around.

-A
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
a pure ego trip which did not increase revenue but was a prelude to disaster.
Etihad's partnerships, however, do apparently add substantial revenues - and feed a lot of customers into their longhaul network.

This is from a year ago, but I have not found any updates from the latest financial updates:

Originally Posted by CAPA
]Partner revenues are likely to surpass USD1 billion in 2014, but the more significant figure is 1H2014 partner revenue accounting for 23% of total passenger revenue. This too will grow as new partnerships – including major ones with Jet Airways and Alitalia – bed down. Putting planes into the sky is relatively easy; selling their seats is the challenge.
EDIT: Q3 2014 update

Originally Posted by Etihad
Organic growth was supported by codeshare and equity partnerships in the third quarter of 2014, delivering an estimated 1.1 million passengers onto Etihad Airways flights (+41 per cent year-on-year) and contributing revenue of US$352 million, which represented 27 per cent of the airline’s passenger revenue.
EDIT: Full year update
Originally Posted by Etihad
Partnership strategy delivers strong performance, with partnership revenues up 37.7 per cent to US$ 1.1 billion, representing 24 per cent of passenger revenues
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Yes... That's how it started with Swissair too...

This being said, EY seems to have the most adaptable corporate culture of the ME Big Three, possibly a reflection of its CEO's personality.

Wait and see...
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by HB7
I would tend to agree with this.

Further, if you look at this holistically, the ME3 are increasing the amount of destinations they fly to virtually weekly. I think it is only a matter of time when they will virtually be able to fly anywhere - thus reducing the need for their partner airlines to continue the journey for passengers.
Yes, but is there room for 3 large carriers all operating the same model and un-allied? If not being part of an alliance may help the smaller/weaker carrier to gain traffic.

There are many frequent flyers who are not on the Europe/S.E. Asia/ANZ route who use ME3 routes occasionally but for whom existing alliances are more practical.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

I think Qatar, as a nation, has much bigger potential loss-of-face scenarios* in its immediate future than something as (relatively) trivial as what its flag carrier does or doesn't do in some industry "club" that most people have no interest in.

*the World Cup 2022 allocation process; and the spotlight that has been thrown on Qatar's preparations, being the foremost at the moment
Thanks for pointing that out. I have been quite disturbed for some time by the number of dead Indian and Nepalese workers in Qatar as a direct result of the construction projects for Qatar 2022. More than that, the generally unacceptable working and living condition of those foreign workers that is equivalent to modern slavery -- I find it unconscionable to fly QR as a result because one can't help but wonder if many of the ground based workers are also subject to similar treatment. Say my enjoyment of the nice newly opened DOH QR lounges comes at the cost of continuous mistreatment of workers - then I want no part of it, period. Of course, there is no report that QR is being accused of similar practice but knowing that such act is apparently legal if not tolerated in Qatar is very disturbing.

If they want to quit Oneworld, I'd say they should go right ahead. The brand of Qatar is badly damaged at the moment, being cited for outrageous and widespread human rights abuse is a major no no. OW will do just fine without QR, even just to avoid the appearance of association with Qatar is a plus.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:24 pm

Programs: QR Gold

Originally Posted by Guava
Thanks for pointing that out. I have been quite disturbed for some time by the number of dead Indian and Nepalese workers in Qatar as a direct result of the construction projects for Qatar 2022. More than that, the generally unacceptable working and living condition of those foreign workers that is equivalent to modern slavery -- I find it unconscionable to fly QR as a result because one can't help but wonder if many of the ground based workers are also subject to similar treatment. Say my enjoyment of the nice newly opened DOH QR lounges comes at the cost of continuous mistreatment of workers - then I want no part of it, period. Of course, there is no report that QR is being accused of similar practice but knowing that such act is apparently legal if not tolerated in Qatar is very disturbing.

If they want to quit Oneworld, I'd say they should go right ahead. The brand of Qatar is badly damaged at the moment, being cited for outrageous and widespread human rights abuse is a major no no. OW will do just fine without QR, even just to avoid the appearance of association with Qatar is a plus.
The numbers you hear on the dead 2022 workers are false! They are made up by the Washington Post in their viral graphic, in which is totally false and inaccurate. To date, there has not been any death in the venues for 2022. They just started building the staidums, and have not even finished the foundations yet!

They compared the deaths of ALL migrants (which are 80%) of the population from ALL reasons (old age, cancer, disease, sickness, accidents, road fatalities, ect...) to the number of deaths building stadiums.

This graphic has put a negative view of Qatar; which will take months to disbelieve.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by QatarA340
The numbers you hear on the dead 2022 workers are false! They are made up by the Washington Post in their viral graphic, in which is totally false and inaccurate. To date, there has not been any death in the venues for 2022. They just started building the staidums, and have not even finished the foundations yet!

They compared the deaths of ALL migrants (which are 80%) of the population from ALL reasons (old age, cancer, disease, sickness, accidents, road fatalities, ect...) to the number of deaths building stadiums.

This graphic has put a negative view of Qatar; which will take months to disbelieve.
That's because there is a lot more infrastructure required as part of the bid than just stadiums, and almost all Qatar's infrastructure construction at the moment is geared towards that.

As to the negative connotations for Qatar - who do you think is on the front of Barcelona's shirt? And who do you think will be the prominent sponsor if the 2022 World Cup goes ahead? The country needs no further bad PR at the moment, warranted or otherwise.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:22 am

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by phol
That's because there is a lot more infrastructure required as part of the bid than just stadiums, and almost all Qatar's infrastructure construction at the moment is geared towards that.

As to the negative connotations for Qatar - who do you think is on the front of Barcelona's shirt? And who do you think will be the prominent sponsor if the 2022 World Cup goes ahead? The country needs no further bad PR at the moment, warranted or otherwise.
Regarding the infrastructure, not everything is linked to the WC. As I mentioned these numbers are not even construction deaths. No one died building the Metro (which is being built bu Dutch Bahn). There are already massive highways linking Doha with the sites of the World Cup stadiums.

People are building this image of an evil Qatar based on false numbers. I hope intellegent people like yourself and others in this forum actually realize that overly exhaggerating numbers will not lead to a better condition for workers. Not everything is linked to the WC.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:58 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
To discuss the politics of Qatar, please go to the OMNI forum.

Let's try and keep on thread.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by QatarA340
The numbers you hear on the dead 2022 workers are false! They are made up by the Washington Post in their viral graphic, in which is totally false and inaccurate.
They were first published 2 years ago in a report by the International Trades Union Confederation.

However, to agree in part with your post, they have been sensationalised somewhat.

On the other hand however, they only include nationals of Nepal and India. If you took in Bangladeshi, Egyptian, Philippino etc workers it may look even worse.

Just goes to show, you can make the statistics show anything you want.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33019838
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:54 am

Programs: EBS, EY Gold Eite, EK Gold, QR Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ft101
They were first published 2 years ago in a report by the International Trades Union Confederation.

However, to agree in part with your post, they have been sensationalised somewhat.

On the other hand however, they only include nationals of Nepal and India. If you took in Bangladeshi, Egyptian, Philippino etc workers it may look even worse.

Just goes to show, you can make the statistics show anything you want.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33019838
Good find ft101! Does realy add some more balanced perspective to the issue.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Just to get back to the original topic, AAB has reiterated his threat to leave oneworld at the Paris air show. He also alleged that AA is blocking inventory on the booking systems, and preventing gate access at JFK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.