Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:34 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by ft101
It's only a couple of years since they refurbished it to the current style. Are they being "persuaded" to move?
Nope - no persuasion. They simply need a larger space due to the increase in capacity the A380 offers for the number of F and J passengers.

Their new lounge space has been allocated, but I am not at liberty to state where they are moving to.

M
Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
2) QF are potentially disappearing
3) SQ are potentially moving
4) One of the TG spaces is going
Thanks for the update

2. I thought the QF lounge was long gone?

3. SQ is fairly widely known to be moving to D somewhere - the dragons have mentioned it

4. Which TG is going? The double lounge situation on C and E seem superfluous, but no idea how busy it would be with only one in each place
Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by kt74
Thanks for the update

2. I thought the QF lounge was long gone? The space is still vacant, so it is still referred to as the QF Lounge internally.

3. SQ is fairly widely known to be moving to D somewhere - the dragons have mentioned it

4. Which TG is going? The double lounge situation on C and E seem superfluous, but no idea how busy it would be with only one in each place. More will be revealed in the near future.
See my bolding
M
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD
The flagship TG Lounges on the D Concourse, are the ones to head to for showers - although QR will try and direct you to the ones on C.

M
Understand QR will send us to the lounge in E, Will we be able to access the better lounges in Concourse D? Am in J to DOH, OWE
Old Nov 24, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Hey!

I'm going to be flying the DOH-BKK route in business class.

With regards to the 777 vs A380, would you say that one is better than the other?

The problem is that the a380 leaves at the ungodly hour of 3 in the morning... where as the 777 seems to fly at a more decent time of day

Last edited by Jonathan Ppang; Nov 24, 2016 at 8:18 pm
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Jonathan Ppang
Hey!

With regards to the 777 vs A380, would you say that one is better than the other?

The problem is that the a380 leaves at the ungodly hour of 3 in the morning... where as the 777 seems to fly at a more decent time of day
The straight-forward answer, is that J on the A380 is better than J on the 777.

However, there is an important caveat - especially when a longer wait is required.

Would I wait an extra hour over a 777 service just to be on the A380? Yes, I think I would. However, any longer than that, and I wouldn't say it's worth it.

If it was my first trip on QR, then I'd allow 2 hours over the 777 service - as the Al Mourjan is a fun place to visit for the first time.

M
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:34 am

Jonathan Ppang welcome to the QR forum.

The last of the four A380s scheduled for longer maintenance checks has entered
Doha Maintenance and a new A380 is expected shortly as well as one next year. This will most likely result in an increased A380 frequency DOH-BKK-DOH. QRCargo.com can give you an idea of when it will happen.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 3:17 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ppang
Hey!

As above the answer is yes but I would take into account the scheduling and think again and not go out of my way unless you are hoping to be able to upgrade to First.

Also remember that Qatar may still change the plane rostered!
Old Nov 25, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Thanks folks. Ended up getting one on the 777 and the other on the A380. Can't wait! Also as I'm flying First from CAI to DOH and then business to BKK, I'm looking forward to the extended layover in the Al Safwa lounge!
Old Nov 25, 2016, 6:43 am

Jonathan Ppang sorry to disappoint you but you will not have access to Al Safwa on your outward journey but you will have access to Al Mourjan.
The rules for Al Safwa are simple: you must be departing DOH in First class or arriving in longhaul F (over five hours flighttime.). Op-ups to first do not qualify.
However on your return you will have access.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Would I wait an extra hour over a 777 service just to be on the A380? Yes, I think I would. However, any longer than that, and I wouldn't say it's worth it.
I find Al Mourjan a very comfortable lounge in which to wait for my flight. I much prefer the newer J cabin over the one in 777; and therefore would be willing to wait up to several hours (ex-DOH) for the 380.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
BKK Which is the best lounge

Hi,

I'll be flying the 380 BKK to DOH 08th Jan in J. As a BA Gold card holder (Oneworld Emerald?) the below narrative taken from the Wiki indicated to me I have two lounge options at BKK. Where this is the case, which, in your opinion, is better please?

"OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!"

Thanks
ML
Old Nov 25, 2016, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Mountlodge
Hi,

I'll be flying the 380 BKK to DOH 08th Jan in J. As a BA Gold card holder (Oneworld Emerald?) the below narrative taken from the Wiki indicated to me I have two lounge options at BKK. Where this is the case, which, in your opinion, is better please?

"OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!"

Thanks
ML
The CX Lounge at BKK is the best of the bunch, but double check the opening hours as they will have changed due to the winter timetable. The CX website will have the info you need.

M
Old Nov 26, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
JL lounge closed for renovation

I can't understand Japanese but I guess that sign means closed until somewhen in Feb 2017.
With the CX lounge closing earlier, there isn't anyway to escape the poor TG lounges for QR passengers who have a late flight
Attached Images  
Old Nov 27, 2016, 9:52 pm
HAT

Programs: BA, IHG, Hyatt
Any update on the bag drop off timing at BKK? Is it still 3h before departure? Flying out at 7:30 today. Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.