Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR connecting to BA -- QR won't through check me or give me boarding pass

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am on my very first QR flight (business class), which connects in JNB to a domestic BA flight on the same ticket (and QR through fare).

QR has denied me through check-in of the baggage telling me that they can't check bag to the final destination in South Africa (which this guide to connecting in JNB on FT shows it's a lie).

Further, I asked for the connecting boarding pass, and was denied that one too. After talking to the supervisor, he told me that although he couldn't print it, I was checked in for that segment, which is an utter lie: the travel agent pulled up the e-ticket (which he had issued) and the BA coupon still shows as OPEN as opposed to CKIN.

Of course, if there's a delay I am now screwed, as I can't simply drop off my bags after doing customs in JNB and walk to the gate: I now have to go find the check-in desks and risk being left behind for failure to meet BA's local check-in timeline. It's as if instead of arriving at JNB on QR I arrived on the equivalent of RyanAir.

This seems to be a disaster on the making. Is this typical QR disservice? Any advice?

Obviously, I am very pissed at the treatment I received by QR and the personnel's lying -- and these are both oneworld airlines. Nice first impression--not!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hillrider
I am on my very first QR flight (business class), which connects in JNB to a domestic BA flight on the same ticket (and QR through fare).

QR has denied me through check-in of the baggage telling me that they can't check bag to the final destination in South Africa (which this guide to connecting in JNB on FT shows it's a lie).

Further, I asked for the connecting boarding pass, and was denied that one too. After talking to the supervisor, he told me that although he couldn't print it, I was checked in for that segment, which is an utter lie: the travel agent pulled up the e-ticket (which he had issued) and the BA coupon still shows as OPEN as opposed to CKIN.

Of course, if there's a delay I am now screwed, as I can't simply drop off my bags after doing customs in JNB and walk to the gate: I now have to go find the check-in desks and risk being left behind for failure to meet BA's local check-in timeline. It's as if instead of arriving at JNB on QR I arrived on the equivalent of RyanAir.

This seems to be a disaster on the making. Is this typical QR disservice? Any advice?

Obviously, I am very pissed at the treatment I received by QR and the personnel's lying -- and these are both oneworld airlines. Nice first impression--not!
But you were always going to have to collect your bags in JNB and check them back in, the only advantage to having your BP is that you could use the fast bag drop (that's going by the connecting in JNB guide you posted).

It's quite possible they simply couldn't provide you with your connecting BP which seems odd since QR and BA both use the same reservations system but some airlines just won't do it.

Why not try and do a mobile or online check in with BA for the JNB-CPT segment and have either of those handy?
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jozdemir
But you were always going to have to collect your bags in JNB and check them back in, the only advantage to having your BP is that you could use the fast bag drop (that's going by the connecting in JNB guide you posted).
I was unable to drop off my bags right after customs because they were not checked in to the final destination. They had to be dragged up two floors and across the terminal to BA's domestic check-in for new bag tags. Fortunately there were no delays so a disaster was avoided.

On a positive note, and probably as a result of asking to and speaking with a manager after checking-in (who muttered something about their inability to print connecting BA boarding passes) at the gate what I believe was the station manager produced such a boarding pass, to my relief.

And on an even more positive note, after following up with QR, they wrote:
We do agree that baggage must have been tagged up to your final destination in Cape Town and only to be cleared at first point of entry for customs clearance at Johannesburg.
They also stated that the Singapore staff has been retrained.

Absolutely excellent follow-up on their part. ^ 5-stars indeed; will definitely choose QR again.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:04 am

The staff at Singapore is not QR own employees. After they dropped the SIN-DPs shuttle, it has been taken over by SaTS.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tboons
The staff at Singapore is not QR own employees. After they dropped the SIN-DPs shuttle, it has been taken over by SaTS.
I do have to say that I did notice this, as they were in full QR uniforms (name tag included).

But I am sure you didn't mean to post this as an excuse for QR: since they represent QR, and it's QR's sole decision how to staff an airport, QR is the only party responsible for their actions.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:28 am

You would be surprised at how much the standard has dropped when they switched to a third party. I met someone at a lounge at how some check in staff are so ignorant of the procedures and even claimed to have 5 years of experience. He went crazy and talked to the duty manager who apologized. The agent refused to tag the bag to ADE as the passenger was flying via Melbourne.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.