Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
If you have a long overnight layover at DOH, please note that QR does not follow industry standards and you might not be able to get your bags returned for your hotel stay in Doha. Most (all?) QR fares, including the most expensive First class ones, contain the following buried deep in the "08.STOPOVERS" fare rule [note: you should check the rule of your own fare]:

IF THE STOPOVER IN DOHA BETWEEN CONNECTING
FLIGHTS IS LESS THAN 24 HOURS PLEASE NOTE THAT
THE BAGS WILL ALWAYS BE CHECKED THROUGH TO THE
FINAL DESTINATION.THE PASSENGERS SHOULD CARRY
EVERYTHING THEY NEED IN DOHA IN A HAND BAG.
-----------------------------------------------
IN CASE THE PASSENGER NEEDS THE BAGS IN DOHA THE
HIP RULE MUST BE APPLIED OR TWO SEPARATE TICKETS
NEED TO BE BOUGHT.
Print Wikipost

No short-checking luggage in DOH layover

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
No short-checking luggage in DOH layover

I don't know if this is QR policy or just the c/i agent in KWI - I have an overnight stopover in DOH and she specifically said that as I only transit in Doha, she must check my luggage to the final destination. (with a revenue F ticket!)

Not a biggie, as I have enough stuff in my hand luggage for an overnight, but for some it might come as an unpleasant surprise, so beware.

Last edited by Zol; Apr 13, 2015 at 1:55 pm
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I guess they do this to avoid people buying a cheaper transit ticket when their end destination is Doha maybe...? Although you'd think anyone flying paid F would be exempted!

When I had a 24-hour unplanned stopover (due to a missed connection) they actually pulled my luggage out of the system at my request and delivered it to the hotel a few hours later - very impressive service ^ - so maybe if you ask when you get to Doha they might be more flexible (but please don't take my word for it!!).
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
CAI-DOH-BKK in F/J on Sunday with a 20 hour stay in Doha, at CAI told bag had to be checked to final destination at BKK.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:32 am

Programs: *G, OWE
Another data point

I visited the QR office in Singapore this afternoon to alter an upcoming DWC-DOH-SIN reservation (in Y). I changed from a 90 minute layover in DOH to a 22 hour stay.

The QR agent confirmed our immigration eligibility to leave the airport ‘whilst in transit’ and then made a point of saying that at DWC our bags would be tagged all the way to SIN and we would not be able to retrieve them in DOH. I asked if we could just short check them at DWC and re-check them at DOH the following day. She said if we wanted to do that it would trigger a re-price as it would then be considered a stopover rather than transit. She said the re-price would make the ticket a great deal more expensive.

I’ve never encountered this policy before for long sub-24 hour ‘transits’ in any class of travel but needless to say we will be making do with cabin baggage only for our night in Doha.

Last edited by NZZO; Mar 5, 2014 at 2:54 am Reason: Clarity
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:10 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Ahh, when I missed my connection in Doha they added a 'stopover' to my itinerary, so I guess the change in ticket/terminology meant I was allowed my checked luggage.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:37 pm

Had a 20-layover in Doha once with a stopover program paid for by QR. Called reservations beforehand and again re-confirmed at check in that the bags would be tagged to the final destination. Was told to pack all I needed for the stopover into the carry on. Not a big deal but yes should spread the word as many other airlines DO allow short checking luggage.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Retrieving Luggage Mid-Trip in DOH

Hello--looking to fly EBB-DOH-DXB next month and wondering what the minimum cnxn time is to request bags be tagged only to DOH and then I can recheck them upon continuation of the journey. Anyone know what this might be? Big thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Typically it requires a long (>12 hour) layover, or an overnight stay, to request short-checking of bags.

I have no direct experience with QR, but many European and US airlines are quite strict about this. KLM charges a very high fee for bags to be returned in AMS on stopovers of less than 12 hours, for instance.

Depending on your class of travel, your status, and your reason for wanting to do this, you may find that QR is far more flexible. However, if you are on a relatively short stopover, then the logistics of getting your bag back during the stopover can become more problematic.

However, we had a report earlier this year from someone travelling in First Class, staying overnight in Doha, and being refused access to their checked luggage in DOH: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...g-luggage.html. In fact, there are multiple reports in that thread of overnight stays not being allowed access to checked luggage.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Thumbs down QR does not short check bags

I can confirm from experience that QR does not short check bags.

Flew MLE-DOH(overnight)-LHR(overnight)-ABZ with three bags to check-in. One bag had the stuff we needed in DOH and LHR so I wanted one bag in DOH. The agent in MLE refused- insisting all bags should go to ABZ.

Connection in DOH 20 hours, connection in LHR 12 hours. Neither the agent nor the supervisor in MLE showed any flexibility. I asked them if they can check all three bags to DOH if they can't check in one bag to DOH and two to ABZ. No luck- all the bags need to go to the final destination.

Since there were four of us (including two kids), I had to buy an extra bag in MLE and take it as hand luggage as we were travelling with just two backpacks as hand baggage.

Even the stroller of my two year old was tagged all the way to ABZ, confiscated at the gate in MLE and I was told that it will be delivered in ABZ on the belt. No concept of gate checking. I managed to get it out in LHR thanks to a helpful gate agent.

On the outbound we flew BA/UL- the stroller was delivered promptly at the gate in LHR and CMB, my one short checked bag for CMB overnight retrieved without any problem.

If I had known QR will not short check the bag beforehand I would have made plans to take more hand luggage. However I had taken this as a given as it is a very reasonable request and I never faced this problem in my life. EK and EY never had such problem- forget BA, LH, CX, SQ et al.

And for the record we were in paid D/A on QR flights.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:12 pm

Programs: QR Platinum (Oneworld Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (Skyteam Gold), Shangri-La GC (Jade)
This is really silly, but I am glad I am now informed. I will also have an overnight in DOH and i was counting on short checking. Not very helpful.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LonLH
I can confirm from experience that QR does not short check bags.

Flew MLE-DOH(overnight)-LHR(overnight)-ABZ with three bags to check-in. One bag had the stuff we needed in DOH and LHR so I wanted one bag in DOH. The agent in MLE refused- insisting all bags should go to ABZ.

Connection in DOH 20 hours, connection in LHR 12 hours. Neither the agent nor the supervisor in MLE showed any flexibility. I asked them if they can check all three bags to DOH if they can't check in one bag to DOH and two to ABZ. No luck- all the bags need to go to the final destination.

Since there were four of us (including two kids), I had to buy an extra bag in MLE and take it as hand luggage as we were travelling with just two backpacks as hand baggage.

Even the stroller of my two year old was tagged all the way to ABZ, confiscated at the gate in MLE and I was told that it will be delivered in ABZ on the belt. No concept of gate checking. I managed to get it out in LHR thanks to a helpful gate agent.

On the outbound we flew BA/UL- the stroller was delivered promptly at the gate in LHR and CMB, my one short checked bag for CMB overnight retrieved without any problem.

If I had known QR will not short check the bag beforehand I would have made plans to take more hand luggage. However I had taken this as a given as it is a very reasonable request and I never faced this problem in my life. EK and EY never had such problem- forget BA, LH, CX, SQ et al.

And for the record we were in paid D/A on QR flights.
I'd appreciate greater clarity on two aspects of the above -----

Doesn't all U.K.-bound luggage need to pass customs/immigration at LHR? If this is the case, wouldn't all luggage be offloaded there, and then need to be rechecked for the domestic segment (thereby allowing you access to the stroller and checked bags during your 12 hour connection)? If this is not the case, how is checked baggage on the "domestic" leg segregated so that customs officials at arrival domestic airports are aware that duties et al might need to be collected?

It's absolutely inconceivable to me that a baby stroller could not be made available for a 20 hour DOH connection. Is it possible that something else was going on ---- I.e. an industrial action by MLE check-in clerks --- that might have been motivating non-sensical actions/decision-making?

Finally, out of sheer curiosity, was QR paying for your hotel in DOH, and did they provide you with a stroller while there?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
I'd appreciate greater clarity on two aspects of the above -----

Doesn't all U.K.-bound luggage need to pass customs/immigration at LHR? If this is the case, wouldn't all luggage be offloaded there, and then need to be rechecked for the domestic segment (thereby allowing you access to the stroller and checked bags during your 12 hour connection)? If this is not the case, how is checked baggage on the "domestic" leg segregated so that customs officials at arrival domestic airports are aware that duties et al might need to be collected?

It's absolutely inconceivable to me that a baby stroller could not be made available for a 20 hour DOH connection. Is it possible that something else was going on ---- I.e. an industrial action by MLE check-in clerks --- that might have been motivating non-sensical actions/decision-making?

Finally, out of sheer curiosity, was QR paying for your hotel in DOH, and did they provide you with a stroller while there?
In the UK, customs check occurs at the last airport- so only immigration happens in LHR and the bags are collected in ABZ. The MLE check-in wanted to check in the bags only to LHR saying there is a customs check in LHR as it is my port of entry- but I made them read the rules and they agreed to check it all the way to ABZ. No point in lugging three bags at 10 pm in LHR without a stroller, again to bring them back the next morning to check in with BA.
The customs at the arriving UK airport is supposed to check the bag, never happened to me. In Spain too the bags are collected at the final airport, but non-EU bags arrive on a different belt inside customs zone from where you have to collect so the customs can check the bags there if needed.
DOH airport, like DXB, provides baby strollers for pax within the airport. But I needed the stroller outside the airport too
There is no industrial action or anything- just stupid QR policy.
I booked the hotel myself.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by wandering_persian
This is really silly, but I am glad I am now informed. I will also have an overnight in DOH and i was counting on short checking. Not very helpful.
Yes- we have to spread the word so that people are not blindsided like me. If I had known they will not short check I would have made plans to have more hand baggage.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:37 am

This certainly helps with a 20 hours transit coming up!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
We are traveling on QR in F soon. Have an overnight in CDG before swtiching over to BA. Will QR agree to short check the lugage to CDG so we can empty out our suitcases with our summer clothes and put in our winter gear before leaving again the next day?

I just saw this thread and it has me worried now since this was never an issue with either TG, LH, or LX...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.