Search

Rumor : QR + oneworld decided ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Rumor : QR + oneworld decided ?

Rumors on a.net indicate QR joining oneworld has been decided and will be announced within a week ... anyone else have info on this ?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
questionable with the QF and EK tie up - more likely EK with join OW
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
It would make sense for QR to join, but that would mean second blow for BA, who just lost QF from the alliance now, and with QR joining OW they will have even more people opting to fly QR instead of BA.

Time will tell...
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by adampenrith
more likely EK with join OW
I disagree.

EK have shown no recent interest in joining any alliance, and don't need to join oneworld now anyway, as they have their deals in place with QF and AA.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I disagree.

EK have shown no recent interest in joining any alliance, and don't need to join oneworld now anyway, as they have their deals in place with QF and AA.
They have AB and this is a OW member.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fan2502
They have AB and this is a OW member.
Etihad, not Emirates, holds a stake in Air Berlin.

Emirates does not hold any stake in any other passenger airline, to the best of my knowledge. Since their holding in Sri Lankan went sour, they have shown no interest in investing in other airlines.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by CAlex
It would make sense for QR to join, but that would mean second blow for BA, who just lost QF from the alliance now, and with QR joining OW they will have even more people opting to fly QR instead of BA.
The BA and QR heads are supposedly getting along well. Not sure what you mean that the BA lost QF from the alliance? QF is still oneworld member. Only thing they did was to terminate the JVA they had with BA regarding some Australia traffic.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
all 3 gulf carriers are getting involved in oneworld one way or another, but my guess is that instead of everyone being happy with their bespoke partners (BA+QR, EK+QF/AA, EY+AB) as some naively predict, it may end badly - only 1 gulf carrier survive inside oneworld, while at least 1 oneworld key member may be driven to leave the alliance altogether
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:49 pm

Etihad, not Emirates, holds a stake in Air Berlin.

Sorry
Old Sep 28, 2012, 1:38 am

Since their holding in Sri Lankan went sour, they have shown no interest in investing in other airlines.
Not quite true:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...stake-buy.html
Old Sep 28, 2012, 4:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100K 1MM
Considering QR just announced ORD as a new destination and canceled their agreement with UA, it makes a lot of sense. They will now have access to one of the largest AA gateway cities.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ft101
I'll believe that when I see it.

Dubai's Emirates says it has no plans to buy stake in Indian carriers
Old Sep 28, 2012, 6:21 am
Suspended

exactly. Nowadays nothing surprises me but I will only believe in it once it happens...
Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by JO_YUL
Considering QR just announced ORD as a new destination and canceled their agreement with UA, it makes a lot of sense. They will now have access to one of the largest AA gateway cities.
EK already has access to three of them (most notably the larger DFW). I'm in DFW frequently during the time of the EK departure, and there are enough connections from AA that the EK gate agents announce for connecting passengers to come and get a new boarding pass for EK. Of course, EK continues to show no interest in joining an alliance. I'd welcome QR in, partly because they've shown the most interest in a BOS flight from what I've seen.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by ft101
Why would they want to buy/invest piece of crap? EK already has access to so many Indian airports that whatever connections IT might be able to provide, is most likely not worth the headache.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.