Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Per-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by VLJ
Thanks for your input - we are both Silver FF and yes it is CX170.

I was thinking in this instance if via Hong Kong I would prefer a hotel room than a tour - just because we still have another 12 hour flight ahead and I don't seem to sleep on planes. Sorry I don't know what is required regarding staying in a hotel room - assume we don't need to go thru customs and immigration or do we? How do we disembark the CX flight and then head to hotel - any advice'/directions?
If CX - CX flights you will get transit boarding passes etc in Perth. Also ask for / accept an arrivals form on the plane. If you don't, they are available before the immigration queue. You will need to go through immigration on arrival where you will get a HKG access visa placed in your passport. Clear immigration and head straight into the arrivals hall and then start walking to the left.

There are signs eventually from memory, but basically walk as far left as you can and turn right, then turn left again and keep walking until you are in the Regal lobby.

There is no way I would spend 7 hours in the airport coming of CX170, particularly if you don't sleep much on planes. The reality is 170 is not a long enough flight to get meaningful sleep anyway. A room at the Regal would be an exceptional investment, just don't sleep through your connecting flight!!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Seven hours in HKG is OK if you are willing to get out and tour a bit, but arriving at 0745 makes that a bit of a pain.

Call up QF reservations and check for the availability on MH (exPER OR SIN) and UL (exSIN). MH still flies the A380 to LHR and (at least for purchased tickets which are relatively inexpensive) UL service to Europe get acceptable reviews. Both also fly to FRA (and a few others) Alas my experience on both are narrow bodies on regional routes but acceptable.

And getting from PER to SIN - try Scoot biz - also good reviews.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: QF, SQ
Your dates may just miss the relaunch of British Airways flights to KL which was announced this morning. BA33/34 will operate daily and should connect with MH127/126 for Perth.

With the flights just being bookable since today - there is plenty of availability for redemption seats (on BA33/34) so worth checking if your dates are flexible.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
With the additional info, I'd say that if you can't sleep on planes then the airport hotel is a good option, particularly as if you can get a good sleep at the hotel then stay awake all the way to LHR, you will arrive tired and late at LHR so you will have less issues with jetlag.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
With the additional info, I'd say that if you can't sleep on planes then the airport hotel is a good option, particularly as if you can get a good sleep at the hotel then stay awake all the way to LHR, you will arrive tired and late at LHR so you will have less issues with jetlag.
Trouble is , both BA flights from SIN - LHR are overnight. Ideally an airline like MH would be good from KUL since it offers a nice daytime service
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What about QR?
http://www.qatarairways.com/au/en/homepage.page
http://www.qatarairways.com/au/en/route-map.page
You may need to phone QF to check for availability
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What about QR?
http://www.qatarairways.com/au/en/homepage.page
http://www.qatarairways.com/au/en/route-map.page
You may need to phone QF to check for availability
Can be checked on the BA site if just sign up for a BAEC account
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I'm usually a fan of a 6-7 hour layover in HKG but I take the mid-morning flight and go into town for dinner then head back for the overnight to Europe. Arriving at 745am is a real PITA and I'd probably go the hotel option for a few hours sleep which will help you adjust somewhat to GMT.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:18 pm

On the 5th May there seems to be availability KUL-DOH-LHR departing KUL on QR845 at 0945 , arriving into DOH at 11:50 and then departing on the QR15 at 1450 A319 service to London in business

There is also 1 seat in business and 1 seat in economy on MH124 at 1625 on the 4th May from PER-KUL arriving at 22:05

There is an airside and landside hotel at KUL for the overnight stop
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: LifeQP LTS, Avis
If you're concerned about the BA seat then go CX - I believe that their J seats are still the world's best, and they were very comfortable last time I flew in them. From what I've heard about the narrow sloping Emirates J seats ex PER, I don't think that you are missing out that much.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by grov
If you're concerned about the BA seat then go CX - I believe that their J seats are still the world's best, and they were very comfortable last time I flew in them. From what I've heard about the narrow sloping Emirates J seats ex PER, I don't think that you are missing out that much.
I wouldnt call the Emirates seat narrow; on the 777 they do indeed not go horizontal but for a daytime flight ( as can be done from Perth ) , not having a 90 degree recline is not so important during the day imo
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:36 pm
VLJ
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments. My main intention is to get to Europe - but the options all the way in J from Perth for 2 people were little - other than the CX option into LHR as mentioned and then there was the option of SIN-LHR on BA in J.
We would then have to purchase seats (2) to get to SIN - it's cheaper and less flying time to be in Y than perhaps to KUL or Hong Kong to find connections in J with awards.
I did find - thanks to a suggestion here - a lot more options out of Singapore and in to Europe. So I did a search SIN-Zurich or Paris or Budapest (sorry don't know the shorthand lingo) and there were options.
These options were going to take us from SIN-DXB-LHR all in business or combination of business and first and then on to other countries. However it would take three flights to get to a destination.
Then I found a flight SIN-DXB- Budapest which is two flights only - departing on the date we want from Singapore - two hours transit at Dubai Airport and straight on to Budapest where we will start our rail journey.
All seats in J - A380 to Dubai with EK and then on to Budapest I think A320 have to check again.
Anyway the other options were good to - SIN-DXB-LHR - in J and first and then choice of countries to head on to.
For us the issue was always getting award seats (2) in J or higher from our origin of Perth - that being said, it is doable to pay to fly economy and get to Singapore then we have a lot of choice. Hong Kong and KL too far in Y when you have many FF points.
So - in saying that - how is EK in J? We have only ever flown EK in Y many years ago and two of my family got severe food poisoning. They were too ill to travel on connecting flights and QF saved the day - whereas customer support with EK was non existent.
Someone has mentioned the seats aren't so good - although it's only 7 hours to DXB and then about 6 hours on to Budapest.
CX in J all the way would have been first choice but it's a very long haul from Perth thru to LHR - some 28 hours in total.
Qatar was also an option for some return flights - how is J on Qatar?
Thanks so much for your input, it always helps
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:44 pm

A380 business class on EK is very nice. nice individual seats with direct aisle access from all seats; 90 degree recline and decent IFE

On the A330 it would be an older business class seat so not the same level of recline

If Budapest is where you want to get to, seems like a great route to avoid pointless backtracking over Europe from London in the laughably named business class cabin on a shorthaul service
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:07 am
VLJ
Original Poster

Just double checked and it's SIN-DXB on A380 in J for 7.5 hrs and then DXB-Budapest in J on A330 for 6 hours - all with EK.
The other choice for alternate arrival ports of Paris or Zurich or Rome - are SIN-DXB as above followed by first class on QF metal for 7.5 hrs and the BA in J to the European cities.
The two flight option to Budapest is 168,000 points and the other options are all 306,000 points.
As we have enough to spare - it would be nice to travel in first with QF and then on to J with BA - a triple treat
Having spent the night in Singapore and most of the day there relaxing - it would be fairly doable to have two x 7.5 hr journeys in J and First - followed by a short trip to final destination.
Paris only has a 1.5 hr transit at DXB and 5 hrs in LHR
Zurich has same transit times
Rome has same but only 1.5 hr transit at LHR.
There are many flight options returning home from any European city.
Choice is now whether we want to start in Budapest or one of the other cities, they are all doable.
Rome is probably the least transit overall - would not like to have any flight interruptions though with three sectors.
I have gone from zero or little choice to too much choice!!
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:17 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
QR has a very nice J product on the long haul fleet and a new airport and lounges in DOH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.