Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas award on EK

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Shanye2233
15 min connection time in Auckland I don't think I would have made it with wife and two small kids.
You are only protected IF you misconnect, not just if you think you will misconnect

Looking at the AKL arrivals information, the EK flight arrived in at 13:20 ( rather than scheduled time of 13:00) leaving plenty of time to connect to the FJ service at 14:15

Last edited by Dave Noble; Aug 22, 2014 at 8:42 pm
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
So the OP didn't get on his first flight because he thought he'd miss his second flight?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd
So the OP didn't get on his first flight because he thought he'd miss his second flight?
That is what it finally seemed that was the case; seems to me to just be a voluntary cancel and rebook and no responsibility of any airline involved especially since there would have been no issue making the connection
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That is what it finally seemed that was the case; seems to me to just be a voluntary cancel and rebook and no responsibility of any airline involved especially since there would have been no issue making the connection
I see. It seems like the motivation of possibly spending the night in AKL was what made the OP decide not to board.

I'm in Sydney now re booking the flights. I booked that flight because I wanted to experience the emirates A380 and my wife's pregnant and didnt want to fly for long period so I thought I would break up the travel.
(my bold)

It takes three hours to fly to AKL and then another three hours to fly to Nadi. Alternatively it takes four hours to fly direct from Sydney to Nadi. Is it really worth breaking up such a journey and adding an extra 2 hours flight time + the hassle of having to transit with two (I'm guessing small) children? If I was flying with two kids and a pregnant wife, I'd be taking the easiest possible routing with the fewest chances of something going wrong.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:25 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bensyd
I see. It seems like the motivation of possibly spending the night in AKL was what made the OP decide not to board.

(my bold)

It takes three hours to fly to AKL and then another three hours to fly to Nadi. Alternatively it takes four hours to fly direct from Sydney to Nadi. Is it really worth breaking up such a journey and adding an extra 2 hours flight time + the hassle of having to transit with two (I'm guessing small) children? If I was flying with two kids and a pregnant wife, I'd be taking the easiest possible routing with the fewest chances of something going wrong.
That's what I was thinking. It doesn't matter, it's his prerogative. If he wanted to try the A388, why not?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
That's what I was thinking. It doesn't matter, it's his prerogative. If he wanted to try the A388, why not?
indeed, but don't use an argument of not wanting to fly for a long period of time though when there was no long flight in the 1st place

Last edited by Dave Noble; Aug 23, 2014 at 12:11 am
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:48 pm

Today while I entered the lounge in emirates they told me I'm going to miss my second segment I need to call qantas to re book me . Then I told they its their job to get me to my destination . Then responded by saying its their job to get me to Auckland not fiji and this is my argument.

There must be something in writing that the airlines have to go by instead of just guessing.
Once you have misconnected , it is the responsibility of the carrier causing the misconnection to organise onward travel. Until you have actually misconnected, no airline is obligated to organise different travel. Once at Auckland and misconnected, EK would have been responsible for accommodation and rebooking.

Since there was 55 minutes to connect, would have been no issue since would have made the other flight

By choosing not to travel, you may be able to get a refund without penalty but beyond that , there is nothing more owed
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Yes it's his prerogative. It is however a little disingenuous to suggest you're taking such a routing to avoid flying for long periods.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:37 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] Lets not focus on why someone flies a certain routing. This is FT after all where people fly from SYD-BNE via PER. [/mod hat]
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
[mod hat] This is FT after all where people fly from SYD-BNE via PER. [/mod hat]
and that would not stop many questioning the reasoning for doing that routing especially if the justification seemed completely flawed
Old Aug 23, 2014, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
I thought it was 5 hours direct flight from Sydney to fiji and I did want to try first class on the emirates A380 for a while so I was trying to kill two birds with one stone say to speak. Anyone what ended up happening was emirates put me on a direct flight from Sydney to nadi I think it was FJ410 departed at 1.20pm they were going to out me on the earlier flight but it was a 737 compared to a A330 so I took the 1.20pm and arrived just about the same time at customs as those connected from Auckland.

The ladies in the lounge told me my flight it delayed and I won't make the connection and that's the reason they changed my ticket. But it was a back and forth with qantas and emirates and I wasn't sure who's was responsible but I'm here now.

I'm just thinking if this happens to another member what rights do they have and where to get the proof from not someone simply telling them.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: QF SG
It's unlike you to be concerned about another forum member.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Until you have actually misconnected, no airline is obligated to organise different travel.
Once a connection falls below minimum connecting time, if the action is caused by the operating airline, I would say they have an obligation to look at alternatives for you. Minimum connecting time would be based on the scheduled arrival (modified in the event of a delay) and departure times.

While the EK flight actually arrived at 1320, I'm not sure what the revised arrival time was supposed to be? And whether that would have still been within the MCT.

It is not necessary to wait until arrival in AKL.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 4:47 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
.... Until you have actually misconnected, no airline is obligated to organise different travel. ....
That may be the case, but twice I have experienced or seen airlines rebooking even before the late aircraft has left. Theses include UA which was 2 hr late leaving SYD for SFO and pax were advised what they were rebooked on (14 hrs before the connections) and LH which (on a recent late arrival into FRA) announced that all connections before xx:xx had already been earlier rebooked on the next available (ie not enough time to make the connection). And, of course, this was only done for "same ticket" connections.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Once a connection falls below minimum connecting time, if the action is caused by the operating airline, I would say they have an obligation to look at alternatives for you. Minimum connecting time would be based on the scheduled arrival (modified in the event of a delay) and departure times.

While the EK flight actually arrived at 1320, I'm not sure what the revised arrival time was supposed to be? And whether that would have still been within the MCT.

It is not necessary to wait until arrival in AKL.
They have an obligation to get the passenger to the destination

There is no obligation to do it UNTIL the misconnect has occurred - if the scheduled time changes such that it becomes an illegal connection that is a different situation

The MCT has in it allowance for some delays

In this case, the passenger would have had no issue actually meeting the connection

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.