FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Qantas award on EK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1605185-qantas-award-ek.html)

Shanye2233 Aug 22, 2014 5:35 pm

Qantas award on EK

So I booked four J tickets from syd-akl-nan for today and of course the flight from Dubai was delayed. I already had a 65min connection in Auckland which I was going to miss so. Asked in the emirates lounge to rebook me.

They told me they can not touch this ticket it is qantas stock ticket and their job was only to transport me to Auckland and that's what they were going to do. I explained to them that I have a already pre paid accomdation in fiji which I was going to lose as they will keep me overnight in Auckland due to the late arrival.

My question is who's suppose to fix this and how do I make them ? This happened to me once before with UA they cancelled my flight but were alot more helpful and got me to my destination , but it seems this time with one world or even emirates they feel they are doing what they are paid to do and transport me to Auckland . They even told me its not a cash ticket it's a award ticket so they haven't been paid for the ticket ! How can I expect emirates to pay for another ticket when they haven't been paid themselves.

So yeah another holiday another drama :)

PbodyPhoto Aug 22, 2014 6:26 pm

........ on the part that they haven't been paid but sadly your contract with them extends only to reaching your final destination, it doesn't specify that you have to reach the destination on time. Call your travel insurance provider to sort out new accommodations.

Dave Noble Aug 22, 2014 6:32 pm

BAsed on it being 2 separately ticketed itineraries, Emirates is completely correct. It is being paid to get you to Auckland only. Once you get to Auckland it is your responsibility thereafter

If you actually have a through ticket to Fiji, then Emirates will be required to get you to your destination

If you have separate ticketed itineraries, I would suggest phoning the airline which you are booked to Fiji on before you depart Dubai and pay for rebooking onto a later flight

If you have a through ticket, then when you get to Auckland , speak to the airline operating the flight to Fiji and get them to book you on next flight ; if they will not deal with it then go to Emirates desk and get the agent there to rebook. If overnight accommodation is required , then the airline is also responsible for providing it too together with meals

Is it a through booking to Fiji?

Shanye2233 Aug 22, 2014 6:46 pm

This is a qantas ff ticket booked on the one ticket syd-akl-nan . The first carrier is emirates and the second carrier is fiji airways . Emirates job is to carry me to my destination in the same class of travel. I'm just looking for documents to back me up.

Emirates feels even their supervisors the job ends in Auckland when it does not.

Dave Noble Aug 22, 2014 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Shanye2233 (Post 23408952)
This is a qantas ff ticket booked on the one ticket syd-akl-nan . The first carrier is emirates and the second carrier is fiji airways . Emirates job is to carry me to my destination in the same class of travel. I'm just looking for documents to back me up.

Emirates feels even their supervisors the job ends in Auckland when it does not.

When you get to Auckland, if you have missed the flight to Fiji, go to the Emirates desk and get Emirates to rebook you on to Fiji. Since it is a though ticket you are protected against misconnection.

I am not surprised that the agent would not rebook you when in the lounge in Dubai since you have not yet misconnected

Emirates is not responsible for consequential loss such as an unused hotel in Fiji

Shanye2233 Aug 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Dave I'm not travelling from Dubai the flight was late from Dubai to Sydney EK412.

And I will mis my flight to fiji when I get to Auckland because it was 50mins delayed and the next flight to Auckland isn't until the following morning so I lose a day in fiji and.a days paid accomdation,

Dave Noble Aug 22, 2014 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Shanye2233 (Post 23409104)
Dave I'm not travelling from Dubai the flight was late from Dubai to Sydney EK412.

And I will mis my flight to fiji when I get to Auckland because it was 50mins delayed and the next flight to Auckland isn't until the following morning so I lose a day in fiji and.a days paid accomdation,

Even so, until you have misconnected , I would not expect that the airline will rebook you

With a 50 minute delay departing, you could still make the onward flight

When in Auckland, if you have missed the onward flight, speak to the EK or FJ staff about rebooking

I am a bit confused here though since looking at the flight details

It was due out of Sydney at 0750 and departed at 0825
it was due into Aucklane at 13:00 and arrived at 13:20
With the onward flight being at 14:15 , I am confused why you would miss the flight

Where are you at the moment?

lowjhg Aug 22, 2014 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Shanye2233 (Post 23409104)

If you're in SYD, why not walk back to the QF area and reason with the QF staff there?

I see that you have QF QP, and I'm sure the lovely lounge angels in the JCL will be able to rustle up something for you!

m0hamed Aug 22, 2014 7:36 pm

Again, do you have travel insurance? The accommodation is not your airline's issues.

Why would you pick this routing? It seems odd. Even with AKL being small I would never book such a short connection.

Your other option is to forgo the award by calling QF and buy a ticket on FJ direct.

Why don't you try calling QF? The other option is to change your dates.

Dave Noble Aug 22, 2014 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 23409144)
Again, do you have travel insurance? The accommodation is not your airline's issues.

Why would you pick this routing? It seems odd. Even with AKL being small I would never book such a short connection.

Your other option is to forgo the award by calling QF and buy a ticket on FJ direct.

Why don't you try calling QF? The other option is to change your dates.

Overnight accommodation in Auckland IS the airline's issue in the case of a misconnect

If it is a valid connection , then no reason why a person would not book it imo

m0hamed Aug 22, 2014 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 23409156)
Overnight accommodation in Auckland IS the airline's issue in the case of a misconnect

If it is a valid connection , then no reason why a person would not book it imo

I meant in NAN.

Shanye2233 Aug 22, 2014 7:47 pm

I'm in Sydney now re booking the flights. I booked that flight because I wanted to experience the emirates A380 and my wife's pregnant and didnt want to fly for long period so I thought I would break up the travel.

What I'm asking for is some document to show the carrier or qantas who's responsibility it is to get me to my destination . I believe it's emirates but they aren't being very helpful I would say even rude

Dave Noble Aug 22, 2014 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Shanye2233 (Post 23409186)
I'm in Sydney now re booking the flights. I booked that flight because I wanted to experience the emirates A380 and my wife's pregnant and didnt want to fly for long period so I thought I would break up the travel.

What I'm asking for is some document to show the carrier or qantas who's responsibility it is to get me to my destination . I believe it's emirates but they aren't being very helpful I would say even rude

I am very confused now

The EK412 service today arrived into AKL at 1320 and there is no reason that you would have missed the onward flight

If you just chose not to take the flight, then no one other than you is now responsible and indeed Emirates saying that it is not responsible is perfectly correct

It is now up to you to book a flight that meets your need and not any airline. Anything that QF or EK offers would be purely ex gratia

Shanye2233 Aug 22, 2014 8:16 pm

Today while I entered the lounge in emirates they told me I'm going to miss my second segment I need to call qantas to re book me . Then I told they its their job to get me to my destination . Then responded by saying its their job to get me to Auckland not fiji and this is my argument.

There must be something in writing that the airlines have to go by instead of just guessing.

Shanye2233 Aug 22, 2014 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Shanye2233 (Post 23409275)
Today while I entered the lounge in emirates they told me I'm going to miss my second segment I need to call qantas to re book me . Then I told they its their job to get me to my destination . Then responded by saying its their job to get me to Auckland not fiji and this is my argument.

There must be something in writing that the airlines have to go by instead of just guessing.

15 min connection time in Auckland I don't think I would have made it with wife and two small kids.