Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clearing Custom if on MR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2014, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, UA, AA ExPlat, AS, HHonors Diamond, Avis Preferred, Marriott, Priority Pass
Clearing Custom if on MR

I am planning a mileage run from LAX to SYD with same day return. Do I need to clear customs OR can i just go to the departure gate?

If I don't need to clear customs, will it be like LHR whereby I would need to clear another security checkpoint (i.e TSA) before going to the departure gate?

Thank you.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
No need to clear immigration or customs as long as no checked luggage. You will clear security to get airside.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 7:26 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by naswi
I am planning a mileage run from LAX to SYD with same day return. Do I need to clear customs OR can i just go to the departure gate?.
Wow. I hope it's not an economy/coach trip. Why not at least have a night in SYD?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by og
Wow. I hope it's not an economy/coach trip. Why not at least have a night in SYD?
Was thinking the same, no way I'd do this trip without a stop even in business
Old Jul 20, 2014, 4:31 pm

May be an OT but the OP's plan reminded of a guy I knew who was after a MR on *A out of SYD. The best fare in terms of timing, miles earned and cost came to be with UA SYD-LAX return in Y (back to back).

The next best thing was TG SYD-BKK, but that didn't even come close in terms of cpm as UA had a special at the time.

Anyhow, I wouldn't do such a MR (or any for that matter).
Old Jul 20, 2014, 4:39 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edy4eva
May be an OT but the OP's plan reminded of a guy I knew who was after a MR on *A out of SYD. The best fare in terms of timing, miles earned and cost came to be with UA SYD-LAX return in Y (back to back).
UA used to be ideal for MRs trans Pacific. Upgrades were almost guaranteed with the right base fares. This has now changed ( i.e. Almost guaranteed upgrades ) with their new management. The whole UA FT culture revolves around getting "free" upgrades.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:44 am

I am planning a mileage run from LAX to SYD with same day return.
If you are flying on United your profile indicates you will have access to one of the *A clubs that have showers. If you have no access to a club for a shower there are free landside showers after clearing Customs & Immigration where you will need to bring your own towel. I am sure whomever is sitting near you would appreciate it on the return flight.

Last edited by Aspen; Jul 22, 2014 at 4:47 am Reason: brevity
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Aspen
If you are flying on United your profile indicates you will have access to one of the *A clubs that have showers. If you have no access to a club for a shower there are free landside showers after clearing Customs & Immigration where you will need to bring your own towel. I am sure whomever is sitting near you would appreciate it on the return flight.
As an AA Plat naswi will have access to the International Qantas Club be they are flying QF, assumption as the post is on the Qantas forum.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I presume you will have no luggage and be on QF metal. You should be able to OLCI, if not you can checkin and get your BP at the Qantas International Business lounge.

As for security, to go from arrivals to departures there is "International Transit".

There is only WTMD and x-ray - LAGS rules apply. Normally no documentation is needed for this (although you should have all standard stuff like passport and copies of e-tickets, BP's etc. with you).

Once at the departures level you can proceed to the lounge.

I am planning a mileage run from LAX to SYD with same day return. Do I need to clear customs OR can i just go to the departure gate?

If I don't need to clear customs, will it be like LHR whereby I would need to clear another security checkpoint (i.e TSA) before going to the departure gate?

Thank you.

Last edited by serfty; Jul 22, 2014 at 8:10 pm
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:39 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by serfty
No documentation is needed.
While this is true, I would always advise anyone doing an international mileage run to have all entry documentation necessary to be able to enter the country of the transit/turnaround just in case something goes wrong.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:53 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
While this is true, I would always advise anyone doing an international mileage run to have all entry documentation necessary to be able to enter the country of the transit/turnaround just in case something goes wrong.
It may be difficult to get a BP in LAX unless you can show permission to enter Oz ( ie Oz / NZ passport or visa).
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Sure, I have rephrased the post.

"No Documentation is needed to use International Transit Security."
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
The OP could apply online, if a US citizen, for an Aust Transit Visa, free to apply.
We all assume "she will be right", but what happens if the plane goes out of service, and you have to get out to the open area of SYDi airport?
If there is time, OP, I would get a Transit Visa for Aust.
Does not mean you have to use it, I mean clear Aust Immi and Aust Customs, but if you need it, at least its there.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
OP, best of luck, but the airline you plan to do this MR with, might not be so helpful in allowing you to do it.
Do come back and tell us if it works.
I know, domestically in Aust, I have done it with VA in a 4.5 hour turnaround, but haven't tried it internationally, same day return that.
Not to mention you loose a day coming over the international date line, and gain a day going back... and all that.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
OP, best of luck, but the airline you plan to do this MR with, might not be so helpful in allowing you to do it.
Do come back and tell us if it works.
I know, domestically in Aust, I have done it with VA in a 4.5 hour turnaround, but haven't tried it internationally, same day return that.
Not to mention you loose a day coming over the international date line, and gain a day going back... and all that.
Nice ramble, but there are plenty of people who have done a same day return on a QFi flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.