Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas grounded: Part II - back in the air

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club

...continues from http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...-grounded.html

[mod hat]

The previous thread had run its course, particularly on the political front. Please discuss the issue - the grounding of Qantas and the "ungrounding" today - in this one. Any mention of politics or the function of the judiciary or getting OT will be deleted or edited.

Any personal attacks, or insults on public figures, companies or institutions will be deleted and disciplinary action will ensue.

[/mod hat]
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm sitting at an airport hotel, and have been on "hold" with the QF 13 13 13 phone number for almost four hours. Need to rebook, website isn't setup for it, and would like to get the hell outta dodge (Sydney) and back to Cairns.

Any suggestions from regular QF flyers? How about the gold FF access number?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by jimmc66
How about the gold FF access number?
Doesn't matter which number you call, it prioritises the call based on your FF # (which has your status). Sorry
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by jimmc66
I'm sitting at an airport hotel, and have been on "hold" with the QF 13 13 13 phone number for almost four hours. Need to rebook, website isn't setup for it, and would like to get the hell outta dodge (Sydney) and back to Cairns.

Any suggestions from regular QF flyers? How about the gold FF access number?
Accordig to the QF webpage, under the industrial action headline, passengers can still rebook with another airline and qantas will pay the difference in fare:
Customers who purchase a new ticket with an alternative carrier
Qantas will reimburse the difference between the cost of the new ticket (in same cabin of travel) and the value of the refunded Qantas ticket, use the Fare Difference on Another Carrier Claim Form.
The following commercial policy options are available to Qantas customers holding a valid Qantas (081) ticket issued on/before 29 October 2011 who are directly affected by schedule change activity (ie cancelled and retimed flights resulting from the grounding of Qantas services) for travel from 1700 AEDT 29 October 2011 up to and including 2 November 2011.
Rather than be on hold, just buy another ticket and submit a claim.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:32 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
If you're sitting at the airport hotel anyway, why not stroll across the road? Given the disruption you may find that you're able to depart on a flight for which not everyone has been notified of resumption (or have access to because they're still stranded overseas).

Gotta beat trying to get through on the phones.

BD
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I am scheduled to fly Qantas domestic in a couple of weeks and am wondering if I should reroute on another airline.

Anyone care to predict whether the court action will resolve the labour/lockout issues for the near future? Or is there a further risk of wildcat strikes, etc.?

I have been to many places that are worse to be stuck than Australia but would prefer to avoid the inconvenience, particularly before USA Thanksgiving week.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I am scheduled to fly Qantas domestic in a couple of weeks and am wondering if I should reroute on another airline.

Anyone care to predict whether the court action will resolve the labour/lockout issues for the near future? Or is there a further risk of wildcat strikes, etc.?

I have been to many places that are worse to be stuck than Australia but would prefer to avoid the inconvenience, particularly before USA Thanksgiving week.
The ruling has terminated industrial action for 21 days. So you will be fine in that time.

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing the distinction between a termination of action and a suspension of action is that the unions will need to re-ballot their members if they are going to resume action at a later date?? That will buy more time for you.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:50 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Boraxo

They are not allowed to engage in any industrial action anymore. They now have 21 days to sort it out themselves (between QF and the unions) or FWA will do it for them.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:54 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
My understanding is industrial action is terminated. That is there can be no further action period (until next award negotiation time). The Unions and QF have 21 days to reach agreement on a new agreement. After that the FWA tribunal will start making binding decisions for both the Unions and QF. Industrial action (from either QF or the Unions) cannot continue, even "work to rule" or "go slow" action. No more announcements from pilots either.

This is why Joyce grounded the airline, it was to force the termination of industrial action, rather than just get a suspension. You should therefore feel confident to book and fly QF based on their normal on time departure/ arrivals and cancellation statistics.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Well the sun has risen.....and, so has the share price

Best wishers for all that are still stranded and are trying to either get home or start a trip/holiday

Saw Cold Chisel on Saturday night (bloody brilliant - they still got it) and as the song goes...."when the war is over, got to get away".....lets hope we can all enjoy Q again as passengers, staff, management, etc and "get away" very soon on one of those lovely big birds ^
Old Oct 30, 2011, 8:28 pm

Already tons of airlines are capitalising on Qantas' bad reputation. Etihad's Australian website has "Australia We Are Here to Help" plastered on its front page. As more and more people fly with other airlines they'll soon see that in many ways the grass is greener. Only the most die hard Australian patriots will still fly on Qantas, the others will see that other international airlines at least (maybe even Virgin Australia) has better fares for the most part, better relations with their unions (or in a lot of cases just employees), and better soft/hard product. Its ironic but I kind of side with the unions (as I know from working with tons of individuals that their employers are not there to look after them), but I fly Etihad for the most part which does not employee unionised labour. The only saving grace is that Etihad's employees pay very little if at all income tax and their accomodation is paid for resulting in their own living conditions to be similiar if not better than Qantas'.

This move by Joyce has really allowed others to become the "White Knight" and it also improves staff morale when they know their company at least doesn't stop work and strand its passengers.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 8:38 pm

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
IMO, for every 1000 passengers that say they will never fly Q again about 999 of them will have forgotten that call by the time they pull their wallets out to purchase the next tickets.

Just causes & bitter experiences rarely survive the wallet test
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by amaroo
IMO, for every 1000 passengers that say they will never fly Q again about 999 of them will have forgotten that call by the time they pull their wallets out to purchase the next tickets.

Just causes & bitter experiences rarely survive the wallet test
Rubbish - Qantas is rarely the cheapest!
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:19 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold & Others
Originally Posted by AndDee
Rubbish - Qantas is rarely the cheapest!
+1 ^....For most of my usual routes, it is generally one of the more expensive carriers.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Whats the story with Qantas having to get CASA clearance to resume services?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.