Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

RedQ firms as name for Qantas's new premium airline in Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Asia Miles, Marco Polo, Virgin Flying Club, Etihad Guest & Silver BA Executive Club

http://www.smh.com.au/business/redq-...912-1k61j.html

Personal opinion: For some reason RedQ sounds like Red Roo to me. Maybe another name Qantas could take in consideration. lol.

Article:
IT MAY not trip off the tongue like the Flying Kangaroo, but RedQ is emerging as the most likely name for Qantas's latest spin-off, an ultra-premium airline aimed at executives travelling in Asia.
Qantas is attempting to trademark the name, which branding experts say borrows heavily on its heritage but is distinct enough to signal the arrival of a new entrant in the global aviation game.
The company has kept under wraps the details of its plans for the executive jet-styled airline, but the Herald has learnt that Qantas's lawyers have lodged a range of trademark applications, including those for RedQ, RedQ Executive Express, RedSky and OneAsia.

Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:00 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Is it April 1 already?

Dave
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:41 am
Suspended

I can see many Chinese speaking traveller will soon nickname this airline as Hong Qi (means Red Flag).
Old Sep 12, 2011, 3:16 pm

Does this mean that everyone will be in a big queue on the red carpet?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:23 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by futaris
So you've seen the new boarding process on United?

Anyway, while I think the use of the letter "Q" is pretty much inevitable, and a good idea from a branding point of view, "Red Q" just sounds bad (at least in English). It feels bad in the mouth. You can't transition from a "d" to a "qw" sound without awkwardness.

Besides, it sounds low-rent. An overly literal description of your logo as your brand name is the kind of unsubtle branding that's associated with the lower end of the market. Think Big W. Or perhaps XXXX (Four-Ex?)

Really, if that's the best they can come up with then I don't think it bodes well for this new venture.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
me thinks this is just a staged marketed/PR step to maintain interest in the new airline. also an attempt to prevent name domain speculators taking what the real name might be.

I can't see this name being anywhere near what will be chosen given the extreme pronounciation difficulties with the letter 'R'.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:46 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by futaris
Only so long as it is not in a far queue.

C'mon QF, you can't let that name stick. Its too easy to play games with the name.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by og
Only so long as it is not in a far queue.

C'mon QF, you can't let that name stick. Its too easy to play games with the name.
qantas and it's partners will be conducting market research for the name. red q was probably one on offer for discussion.

qantas cannot afford to have it's final name compromised by people buying the domain name etc... so probably leaked this onto throw people off scent.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

also an interesting link here on the potential meanings and use of the letter 'Q' in Chinese.

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2252

at it's best Q can mean soft and chewy... at its worst it can be a substitute for a four letter swear word (Cantonese).

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Sep 13, 2011 at 1:11 am Reason: correcting auto correct.... (sigh)
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Of course, one may not want to go phonetical French with this.

(See this AFF post: RedQ - Asia newest ultra-premium airline )
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:56 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
We all know the real name will be Roo Poo ... they are just leaking stories to get some free publicity. And the menus will be written in rhyme, served by singing waiters. Now that is an executive express!
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
also an interesting link here on the potential meanings and use of the letter 'Q' in Chinese.

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2252

at it's best Q can mean soft and chewy... at it's worst it can be a substitute for a four letter swear word (Cantonese).
......Inserting Q into a sentence can create the meaning of "What the F*** are you doing?"

Dear Alan Joyce,

What the "Q" are you doing?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 1:59 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
But red would be a very good colour for China (and North Korea)
**duck and run****
Old Sep 13, 2011, 2:10 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Craicaer.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 3:19 am

As long as it's safe and gets me from A-B (and even C), l couldn't give a hoots about the name. I'm sure that some people will, get a life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.