Obama appoints Errol Southers to head the TSA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2009, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Last edited by Bart; Sep 18, 2009 at 6:18 pm
Old Aug 9, 2009, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bart
Well, I'm truly surprised to see that from you. A good commander lets the guy on the ground make the decision rather than micromanage from the Ivory Tower.
A good commander will also make sure a poor decision is corrected.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 6:44 am
Suspended

Old Aug 9, 2009, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Clearly you've never served. Or if you did, you've never commanded troops. Flies and I have.
LOL!

If you believe poor decisions are supported and allowed to stand, you don't understand leadership

Did you ever chew out someone in your command after a poor decision? Did you require those persons to fix their mistake?

Were you ever held accountable by your commanders for your mistakes?

Last edited by Tom M.; Aug 9, 2009 at 6:59 am
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:40 am
Suspended

Well, I'm truly surprised to see that from you. A good commander lets the guy on the ground make the decision rather than micromanage from the Ivory Tower.
But you said elsewhere, Bart, that the TSA is not run on a military model.

However, the overall tone of any agency, corporation or even military unit comes from the top down. If the person at the top displays arrogance, that arrogance filters down. We saw that with Bush, his arrogance filterting down to agency heads and administrators. Chertoff and Hawley are fine examples, as are Francine and even Blogger Bob, further down in the pecking order.

Perhaps the new administrator does need to micromanage one or two instances of screener abuse to get the message across that such abuse of the traveling public will not be tolerated.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:58 am
Suspended

Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:01 am

Anyone want to take bets on how long it takes him to have an post on the Blog?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:01 am
Suspended

Last edited by Bart; Sep 18, 2009 at 6:17 pm
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How easily you take things out of context. Perhaps you can't help it.
LOL. This from someone who brought the military into the "context"

But I guess you can't help it.

He should get involved if the actions taken don't live up to his ideals. That is not micro-managing. That is leading.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:07 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
How easily you take things out of context. Perhaps you can't help it.

First comment was that we'll see how Southers is as the head guy the first time some TSO screws up. My point is that Southers, as the Administrator for TSA, ought to leave that up to the FSD on the ground to handle that level of detail. It's not Southers' job handle disciplinary actions at the airport level. So my answer to that question is that such a situation would not be an indicator of how good Southers is other than the fact that he allows FSDs to do their jobs.

On the other hand, if Southers does get involved in that level of detail, then what we have is a micro-manager. And that's bad all the way around.
I agree with you that Southers should stay away from micro managing (i.e. Viet Nam) but that if a TSO commits a particularly egregious act of stupidity that a phone call to the TSO's FSD would be in order. Perhaps something along the lines of "you deal with it and I never want to hear about something like this coming out of your airport again." That both dumps it back onto local management and it lets local managers know that the boss is aware.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:08 am
Suspended

Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see you still refuse to look at how the original question was phrased.

This was the quote:

"we'll know what kind of a leader he is based on how/if he responds the first time a screener(s) does something really stupid that makes the news."

You "looked at how the original question was phrased" and decided It would be poor leadership for him to get involved no matter what.

Yet the question was "how/if he responds"

He needs to get involved so he knows what action was taken. He needs to respond if the response from his staff is not what he considers appropriate. He needs to respond if appropriate action was taken by supporting that action.

Last edited by Tom M.; Aug 9, 2009 at 8:32 am
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:41 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
You're not qualified to talk about the military, son.
You know nothing of my qualifications, pops. And that's the way it's going to stay.
If you're basing your comments from what you've seen in the movies, then spare the stereotyping.
Make you a deal - I'll stop "stereotyping" if you'll quit touting the Army as the solution to everything. 'kay ?
IF TSA were truly run on a military model, a lot of the problems experienced within the workforce would not exist. Fact of the matter is that TSA is not run by a military model; never was; never will be. TSA is a civilian bureaucracy.
Agree. Never said it was, just that intially there was some military influence and some vestiges remain. TSA may be run by civilians but it does not behave like a civilian enterprise.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:44 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Don't confuse reference to leadership as a statement whether or not there's a military model. Contrary to a lot of misconceptions in here, the military makes an excellent model for leadership in the business world.
Nonsense. Sells a lot of books and courses though.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:45 am
Suspended

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.