Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Hearing is starting in a few minutes and being broadcast at

http://commerce.senate.gov/public/in...arings.ByMonth

(click on live webcast).
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:26 pm

Programs: Former DL PM, current level: tin
I caught a couple of minutes prior to the stream going down.

Those couple of minutes did not leave me very impressed.

Sen. Udall (NM) asked about Whole Body Imaging devices, and referenced concerns that his constituents have about privacy.

Mr. Southers responded with a nice dodge saying as far as he knows Whole Body Imaging remains completely voluntary and the TSA is following a multi-step process to ensure privacy of citizens who submit to the scan.

No follow-up was asked.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kylemore
I caught a couple of minutes prior to the stream going down.

Those couple of minutes did not leave me very impressed.

Sen. Udall (NM) asked about Whole Body Imaging devices, and referenced concerns that his constituents have about privacy.

Mr. Southers responded with a nice dodge saying as far as he knows Whole Body Imaging remains completely voluntary and the TSA is following a multi-step process to ensure privacy of citizens who submit to the scan.

No follow-up was asked.
This is a common answer during confirmation hearings. The person coming into the job from the outside can claim that they haven't been told any details about their potential agency's policies and procedures. At this point, they are private citizens. As a matter of fact, Southers could have said that he was told that this information was SSI and that he was not yet cleared to know.

Things would have been different had the nominee been an insider.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
There were quite a few comments from the Senators about rude TSOs... one very long story about mistreatment of WWII veterans at IAD.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Hearings are frequently saved on the committee site for a few days. I may try to find it tonight and capture the video.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Hearings are frequently saved on the committee site for a few days. I may try to find it tonight and capture the video.
CSPAN also keeps this stuff available online for quite a while (assuming they covered it in the first place).
Old Jan 20, 2010, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Southers withdraws citing Political Agenda

next in line, please step forward...

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=9610631

The Obama administration's choice to lead the Transportation Security Administration withdrew his name Wednesday.

In a statement, Erroll Southers said he was pulling out because his nomination had become a lightning rod for those with a political agenda. President Barack Obama tapped Southers, a former FBI agent, to lead the TSA in September but his confirmation has been blocked by Republican Sen. Jim DeMint, who says he was worried Southers would allow TSA employees to engage in collective bargaining with the government.

Questions have also been raised about a reprimand that Southers received for running background checks on his then-estranged wife's boyfriend two decades ago. Southers wrote a letter to lawmakers earlier this month acknowledging that he had given inconsistent answers to Congress on that issue.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by ElPasoPilot
Southers withdraws citing Political Agenda

next in line, please step forward...

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=9610631
In other words, even Southers can see that running this joke of an organization would be an enormous stain on his resume.

Any inside tips on the next choice? Guess Gale is available to stay on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.