Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Steel plate in body - TSA always requires full search

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Steel plate in body - TSA always requires full search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2005, 8:08 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AArlington
Since you will always be Selected for Secondary SScreening, you may as well keep you shoes on the entire time.
With a metal plate in my leg, I run about 50-50 on getting secondary because of an alarm at the WTMD anyway, so I never bother going through the pain of removing my shoes.
Old May 24, 2005, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by AArlington
Since you will always be Selected for Secondary SScreening, you may as well keep you shoes on the entire time.
I even advise them that every now and then, unless they decide to take them off theirselves.
Old May 24, 2005, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TSASuper
I even advise them that every now and then, unless they decide to take them off theirselves.
Corroborates my argument
Old May 24, 2005, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by red456
Corroborates my argument
Allow me to clarify...
If the passenger is a selectee and they ask if the shoes need to come off, I advise them that they can either remove them now, or if our hand wand alarms on the shoes, they will be removed then. I make a point to advise the elderly or anyone else that appears to have some form of difficulty with removing the shoes. At least the shoes can be removed while they are seated.

If the shoes alarm the hand wand, they will come off. Can't help that.
Old May 24, 2005, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TSASuper
Allow me to clarify...
If the passenger is a selectee and they ask if the shoes need to come off, I advise them that they can either remove them now, or if our hand wand alarms on the shoes, they will be removed then. I make a point to advise the elderly or anyone else that appears to have some form of difficulty with removing the shoes. At least the shoes can be removed while they are seated.

If the shoes alarm the hand wand, they will come off. Can't help that.
I do the same thing. If a passenger is a selectee, I give them the choice of either removing their shoes before they pass thru the WTMD or to wait until they are at the wanding area. It's their choice and I offer them the convenience of making that choice.

Same goes with passengers who tell me in advance that they have surgical implants such as knee or hip replacements which they know will alarm the WTMD. I advise them that we'll still need to screen their shoes, but for their convenience, they may want to keep them on and remove them when seated in the wanding area.

I really don't understand any negative reactions to this. I see this as a courtesy. Appears that TSASuper sees it as a matter of courtesy as well.
Old May 25, 2005, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Bart
I do the same thing. If a passenger is a selectee, I give them the choice of either removing their shoes before they pass thru the WTMD or to wait until they are at the wanding area. It's their choice and I offer them the convenience of making that choice.

Same goes with passengers who tell me in advance that they have surgical implants such as knee or hip replacements which they know will alarm the WTMD. I advise them that we'll still need to screen their shoes, but for their convenience, they may want to keep them on and remove them when seated in the wanding area.

I really don't understand any negative reactions to this. I see this as a courtesy. Appears that TSASuper sees it as a matter of courtesy as well.
I also do the same. If they're wearing sneakers, I even go so far as to advise them to leave their shoes on when they come in for secondary screening. Many times they are relieved to find out that they don't have to struggle to remove their shoes and just have their shoes and hands swabbed instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.