Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Concessions and Other Staff in US PreClearance Areas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold

So I had a thought while I was at YYZ last weekend awaiting my flight back to Washington.

What's up with all the staff (both airline staff and concessions, and others) who work in the US Pre-Clearance area at airports with such an offering?

Do they have to literally enter the United States and exit it every time they come to work/take a lunch break, etc.? I doubt that is the case - but what I was wondering was...

If that's not the case, if there is some door, somewhere, that staff can use to get to work without formally entering the United States - what's to then stop a staff member from purchasing a ticket and then getting on a plane when they're in the secured area?

I guess, what I'm asking is...if I work at a restaurant, for instance, in the US preclearance area at YYZ airport (or any other airport with pre-clearance facilities), and I am a Canadian (or whatever country) national...what's to stop me from going up to the counter (or - even better - using my phone/tablet/computer) to purchase a ticket on one of the many flights to the US and then entering the country (illegally) as a domestic flyer and never being subject to immigration or customs.

Is that possible?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:23 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the TS/S Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by plinko83
So I had a thought while I was at YYZ last weekend awaiting my flight back to Washington.

What's up with all the staff (both airline staff and concessions, and others) who work in the US Pre-Clearance area at airports with such an offering?

Do they have to literally enter the United States and exit it every time they come to work/take a lunch break, etc.? I doubt that is the case - but what I was wondering was...

If that's not the case, if there is some door, somewhere, that staff can use to get to work without formally entering the United States - what's to then stop a staff member from purchasing a ticket and then getting on a plane when they're in the secured area?

I guess, what I'm asking is...if I work at a restaurant, for instance, in the US preclearance area at YYZ airport (or any other airport with pre-clearance facilities), and I am a Canadian (or whatever country) national...what's to stop me from going up to the counter (or - even better - using my phone/tablet/computer) to purchase a ticket on one of the many flights to the US and then entering the country (illegally) as a domestic flyer and never being subject to immigration or customs.

Is that possible?

When you go through preclearance, the cbp agent stamps your boarding pass. No stamp, the ga are supposed to deny boarding.
Earlier this year at yyz, my partner and I used global entry, but the agent collecting the receipts was engrossed in a conversation with the Peel cop who was working with him and just waved us through. I was also focused on other things and didn't think anything of it. After getting to the gate we along with another couple who also went through global entry had to wait for the GA to call CBP to confirm we had made it through with no issue. Thankfully the agent on call was in a good mood and gave all 4 of us the green light.

of course on another occasion I had a new bp printed in the lounge which obviously was lacking the stamp and the ga didn't notice.

So it's definitely not a strong system but probably works well enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.