Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Gate Checks at Foreign Airports of US Bound Passengers for Carry-on Liquids

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Checks at Foreign Airports of US Bound Passengers for Carry-on Liquids

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
No secondary screening for me on the two USA bound flights I've done from LHR since the recent increase in security. However, they were screening some people, but it was for charged batteries, not water or liquids.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:39 pm

Yes, HKG-EWR back in March.
Never have had secondary search in NRT.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Didn't happen LHR-SFO on United last Saturday to anyone that I saw.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by mrswirl
No checks after security in the US preclearance zone.
Not 100% true, there has been two occasions where they have done secondary screening of all passengers from a US departure to international at ORD within the past 18 months that I've been on. Though, I will admit, flights originating from the US to international, it is more rare compared to international to US bound.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Not listed in the OP's list of cities, but BOM does have a secondary check just before the gate area and does confiscate anything above the 100 ml. limit.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Yes, on my way back to EWR from NRT. I put a couple small bottles I grabbed at the lounge in my bag and got thru though.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: free agent
Security folks say can I get your coke zero can before my HKG-SFO flight today . I flew NRT-ORD last May, no secondary screening at all
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I've had it taken away in PVR....
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold/OneWorld Ruby
I've had water and other liquids confiscated during boarding on every UA flight from PEK to NA. I recently flew OZ PEK-ICN-SEA and there was no secondary screening during boarding.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: Emirates, Thai, TK
I don't believe BKK has the checks any more.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
had bottles taken away in JNB on SAA but replaced by FA when we boarded
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by morelegroom
had bottles taken away in JNB on SAA but replaced by FA when we boarded
I've had bottles taken away flying JNB-JFK.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Have not had any checks for water in CDG, FRA, or LHR. Have actually never had a check from FRA, as I've always departed from the FCT (LH award tix).

As far as Asia, I have been selected for secondary at NRT, but water was not taken away. HKG has been 100% in gate screenings and I'm sure they'll be searching for water later today when I fly HKG-DFW on AA. Bummer, as I drink lots of water on international flights and it would be nice to bring a couple extra bottles aboard.

ETA: Just checked-in at the AA counter for the flight back to DFW. They had a sign on the counter stating that all US departures from HKG would be subject to searches and nothing allowed (including duty free-which is the stupidest thing I've heard of)

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Sep 22, 2014 at 9:01 pm
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:59 pm

They searched for liquids prior to boarding for my CX flight from Hong Kong to ORD. Apparently, at that airport, the search is not limited to US carriers.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:06 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
I can only speak to Australia-bound flights which have the same stupid rule.

HKG on CX a year or two ago, definitely gate checks. Significantly, it was the end of the Hajj, half the passengers on my flight were in traditional Arab dress (or traveling with people who were), and their carry-ons were searched much more thoroughly than those of (apparent) European ancestry in jeans and t-shirts. In some cases the security guard was unpacking the entire bag and looking at each item. When RadioBloke and I got to the table, they unzipped one compartment of each bag, glanced inside, and waved us on.

DXB (on EK) regularly checks at the gate - they poke around the top layer of stuff and ask if you have liquids. Last month I kept telling the guy he could look but not touch since I didn't want his gloves in my bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.