Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Gate Checks at Foreign Airports of US Bound Passengers for Carry-on Liquids

Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat

It's become common practice that despite being obtained in post-security areas of the airport, an at-the-gate inspection of carry-on luggage is conducted to ensure bottles of water are not taken onboard US-bound airliners, particularly those flown by US carriers. While I don't understand the reason for this (Australia bound flights are also subject to this inspection at many airports too), I've noticed this has become a random procedure at some airports.

Has anyone had recent experience of such inspections (other than at gates where normal airport security occurs like at SIN or KUL) at the following airports:

HKG
BKK
NRT
LHR
BRU
CDG
FRA
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Less than one month ago I boarded a USA bound LH flight from FRA (to BOS FWIW) without any secondary screening at the gate. Was able to bring two bottles of water I purchased at FRA on board...

So I guess that is a no, for me, at FRA
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:06 pm

Had my bottle of water emptied in an opening between segments of the jet bridge at HKG last year-they were searching the carry-ons of every passenger. This was UA HKG-ORD. I believe this is HK airport policy.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by keithlavon
Less than one month ago I boarded a USA bound LH flight from FRA (to BOS FWIW) without any secondary screening at the gate. Was able to bring two bottles of water I purchased at FRA on board...

Ditto for me for an LH flight from FRA - PHL last month
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
i was able to bring bottled water purchased by the gate at CDG in August, UA CDG_SFO
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm interested in hearing from anyone who thinks they boarded a US bound flight at BKK
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by steveman518
Had my bottle of water emptied in an opening between segments of the jet bridge at HKG last year-they were searching the carry-ons of every passenger. This was UA HKG-ORD. I believe this is HK airport policy.
Yes, this happened to me too, about a year ago when boarding UA HKG-ORD.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:37 pm
RJ1

Originally Posted by keithlavon

Was on UA's MUC-IAH flight a couple of weeks ago... no secondary screening.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
No secondary screening at NRT, other than random inspections.

Back in the olden days, they did do water check at BKK for UA flights.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
No 2nd screening at NRT but I did see a table set up for random inspections during boarding. Odds of being pulled aside are probably 1 in 10.

I have had water and other liquids confiscated at HKG and SIN to the point where I don't bother with duty free anymore.

Does YYZ count as foreign? No checks after security in the US preclearance zone.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:51 pm

Water bottle was confiscated PEK-SFO during secondary (mandatory screening for all passengers).
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
This is not responsive to your question which only asked about HKG/BKK/NRT/LHR/BRU/CDG/FRA but at LIM, we had secondary inspectors search bags and seize many passengers' Inca Kola.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
No secondary screening LHR-LAX on August 24.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:28 pm
DVX

Had water confiscated at ICN before boarding an Asiana flight to ORD. Looked like only the US bound flights had this extra inspection.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Always had secondary screening on UA flights from HKG (done at the jet bridge after the BP is scanned). Never had one in any UA flights from Germany include FRA, MUC, DUS, TXL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.