Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Best airline for a refundable ticket (guest pass)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
I'm flying through O'hare, and am trying to arrange a meetup with my mom for dinner during a layover. If there were any restaurants landside I'd be happy to exit/re-enter security myself, but such is not the case.
Based on info I've read here. It sounds like you can just buy a fully refundable ticket and cancel right after you get through security (or within 24hrs) to get airside and continue with our plan.
Obviously this is a bit of a pain, but if I were to do this then I'd want to be sure to chose a flight with an airline that makes it as easy and convenient as possible.

Of course my first choice would be just to have her get a guest pass, but it sounds like that's harder as I'm not a member of any high-rollers club or what not- just an average traveler.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
-k
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
refundable ticket - i havent read on FT of any airlines giving problems with refunds - be sure to do it with a credit card and just dispute the charge if they wont refund it.

Have you considered using one of the hotels at/near the airport?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Keep in mind that if you do this, you'll be asking your mom to lie to multiple people.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 3:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Keep in mind that if you do this, you'll be asking your mom to lie to multiple people.
Last time I check, one can buy a ticket, and check-in online. At security, the most I've been ask is to provide my name. When calling the airline, just say you want to cancel and refund.

Not sure where the lying to multiple people part comes in.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
It is EXPLICITLY against the terms & conditions of American Airlines to purchase a ticket for the purpose of accessing the secure area.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BStrauss3
It is EXPLICITLY against the terms & conditions of American Airlines to purchase a ticket for the purpose of accessing the secure area.
I would think that every traveler's purchase has the explicit purpose of accessing the secure area, the exception in this case simply excludes boarding the plane.

Anyway, I talked to her today, and she evidently does have a transferable lounge membership with United. In some other thread there was a post saying that you can just invite guests to the secure area to meetings in said lounge- or something like that. I'd do that if it were easier.

My layover is long enough for dinner, but not long enough for exiting, driving around and coming back. If we did the ticket thing I'd just buy it/cancel it for her, I don't think she'd even have to speak to anyone if she didn't want to- seems like its about as complicated as your standard process thru security.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by BStrauss3
Just do it with an airline you are not a frequent flyer with and no one will care
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kevinjdahlquist
Anyway, I talked to her today, and she evidently does have a transferable lounge membership with United. In some other thread there was a post saying that you can just invite guests to the secure area to meetings in said lounge- or something like that. I'd do that if it were easier.
If she has a United Club membership, should be no problem getting a gate pass.

See this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ub-access.html
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
If she has a United Club membership, should be no problem getting a gate pass.

See this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ub-access.html
Yeah- that's the thread I was talking about, thanks! Is there a way to confirm this ahead of time? I guess I'll just call united at O'hare and ask for more details about "line 53".

I don't know how this all works, but she evidently has a "trial membership" card that she seems to think is transferable. She was going to give it to me because I fly more often, but in the "gate pass" scenario, I'd just assume she register so that we might do this in the future with less hassle. That is assuming that the "club member" has a better chance of success incoming to the secure area rather than trying to get a guest pass FROM the secure area.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:16 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
if this is evolving into a UA question

I'd move it to the UA forum unless the OP has some ibjection.

squeakr

co Mod TS/S
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Buy refundable ticket, eat with you, exit terminal. Cancel check in. Move date to another time. Then cancel later.

It won't look like you bought it to just enter the secure area. It'll look more like your plans changed last minute. Why deal with the hassle of dealing with a lounge pass?

Just don't use the ticket to enter whatever lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.