Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Canadian (BC) driver's licence? No. Nexus? No. Costco card? OK!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:48 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Is there some special college where TSA people go to learn how to become exceptionally stupid? I mean, really, can anyone be that stupid and actually survive?

I was held up at ORF (Norfolk, VA) security today (about 12:15pm) because neither my Canadian DL nor my Nexus card was acceptable. They had their book of international IDs but clearly something was up, as my British Columbia driver's licence was not listed under either Columbia nor British Virgin Islands. The fact that "DOES NOT INCLUDE THE US OR CANADA" was marked plainly on the cover seemed to elude them. When it was pointed out to them, they indicated "of course, there are too many different driver's licences in Canada and the US to include in a book" (or words to that effect.)

After about 20 minutes they called someone over from the other jetty (who took another 10 minutes or so to arrive and was "just on his way home.) He had indeed seen both types of ID listed in some book, procedural manual, policy handbook, or some such. But he couldn't remember which or where. So he wasn't going to let me through either.

He then had me go through my wallet, asking if I had something like a voter registration card (right, Canadian citizen, resident in Canada) or some other ID, but it must have a photo.

I didn't think I had, but as I was flipping through various cards the CostCo card suddenly reared its ugly face (er, I mean, "my"). Strangely enough that was just fine, and I was let through security.

My driver's licence, previously used an accepted all over the US (including several prior trips to/from ORF) and my US government issued Nexus card were inadequte ID to clear security.

But the CostCo card was all I really needed.

When these people eat, is there someone standing next to them to make sure they don't stick the fork in their eye?

Or am I being presumptuous in assuming they eat with utensils?

(p.s. I have the boaring pass complete with their notations regarding DL, Nexis, and Costco. When I have a chance I'll scan and post it somewhere.)
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
It's really quite simple! Clearly, the Costco card proved that you were helping ur economy. Therefore, you were not an evil-der. Therefore you could pass the checkpoint.

Originally Posted by KenHamer
When these people eat, is there someone standing next to them to make sure they don't stick the fork in their eye?
The ones at RF are nly allowed straws.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:54 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Except that the CostCo card expired about 5 years ago (as did the photo.)
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:55 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Ironic too, in that only a few hours earlier I'd received some "Trusted Traveler Program News" that started off with:
We are pleased to announce that U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is partnering with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) on a new Department of Homeland Security initiative announced July 14, 2011, that qualifies some passengers for expedited screening through U.S. airport security checkpoints.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
I believe going to a college, even a special college, would make you ineligible to work for TSA. The more inane you are the better.

Your Costco card was clearly something they could recognize. At least it had a photo, when I produced a Nexus card, it got rejected and the only thing that they would accept was a credit card with (only a portion of) my name on it. No picture, even.

As for utensils, they probably do not use them, in fact, they either chew with their mouth open or don't chew their food at all. You can see I think very highly of our the top notch security team keeping our skies safe!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:21 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by neuron
I believe going to a college, even a special college, would make you ineligible to work for TSA. The more inane you are the better.

Your Costco card was clearly something they could recognize. At least it had a photo, when I produced a Nexus card, it got rejected and the only thing that they would accept was a credit card with (only a portion of) my name on it. No picture, even.

As for utensils, they probably do not use them, in fact, they either chew with their mouth open or don't chew their food at all. You can see I think very highly of our the top notch security team keeping our skies safe!
I never give in on the NEXUS. It is a valid ID and they will eventually take it.

If I am running a little late, I have a three part potential delay and the NEXUS is one of the three and the first gauntlet to pass, I will not use the NEXUS and go ahead and do the DL. But, if I have time for all three delays, the NEXUS it is. I need 45 minutes to an hour to get through all three delays if they should all three present themselves. I got the trifecta only once.

I anticipate that eventually I will be denied travel for presenting my NEXUS and refusing to produce another form of ID. Fine. Usually my phone stays in my pocket on "Record" until it has to go in the x-ray. I did not at my last encounter because I was about 10 for 10 at that airport and did not think it was needed. I know better now.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Since I don't have a Nexus card can I ask this question: Does it have the person's picture on it? I assume it does, right? I truly do not comprehend the skills of some TSA checkers. I truly wish next year's US presidential election causes some major changes to the TSA (and the DHS for that matter).
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:21 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by KenHamer
When I look at these people, half the time I'm thinking I'm the one who should be checking them! I thought it was just my jaded outlook and cynicism coming through.

Remember, though, that these are the same people who think 101 ml of toothpaste (~3.5 ounces for you Americans) will bring down an aircraft, but 99 ml (~3.3 ounces) won't. They're the same guys who need to check your BP three or four times in the floor space of a first down, in case you changed your identity en route. They're the same guys who think you're a hazard to aviation if you can't pronounce your name correctly. They're the same guys who...

As a former colleague of mine used to say, "He's just another one of God's creatures." We have to put them somewhere, I guess.

And by the way, what's with this ID stuff anyway? Do they have the names of all the bad guys memorized?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Since I don't have a Nexus card can I ask this question: Does it have the person's picture on it?
Yes, it does.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:38 am

Probably because that TSO's last job before TSA was a COSTCO cart checker at the door. (before of course being fired for malfeasance)
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Sopwith
Remember, though, that these are the same people who think 101 ml of toothpaste (~3.5 ounces for you Americans) will bring down an aircraft, but 99 ml (~3.3 ounces) won't.
Actually, it's funnier than that, because tubes of toothpaste are measured by weight, not by volume.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:44 am

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
Benny Hill Fan Club card

back in the day crossing at Windsor into Canada my American friend only had a BennyHill fan club card for ID they let him in
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:16 am

My last time through US immigration, the Officer asked for a second form of I.D., as I was not driving, I did not bring along my license so I offered the officer my Costco card.

He looked at it, commented that he shops there himself, stamped my passport and welcomed me home.

Maybe Costco is going to be a new form of acceptable ID?

Dan
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
Actually, it's funnier than that, because tubes of toothpaste are measured by weight, not by volume.
While I enjoy the laugh I have lived abroad and have seen paste with a metric volume reading along with weight.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Holy cowpies... these guys are idiots.

InkUnderNails just complained a day or two ago about some TSO moron who wouldn't accept a Nexus card as ID.

I hate to sound like a TSA stooge myself, but failure to recognize a government-issued ID like a Nexus card, or a BC driver's license, is indicitive of a lack of proper training on the part of TDCs. But re-training won't improve the situation, since repeating the same inadequate training that didn't work the first time will not work the second, third, or twenty-fifth time they receive it, if it's not revised to include the simple fact that a Nexus card is an acceptable form of ID.

"We taught TDCs how to do the job."

"Well, you taught it wrong. They're not doing the job correctly."

"We'll teach them again."

"You taught them all the same wrong stuff you taught them the first time. They're still not doing the job correctly."

"We'll teach them again."

"But will you teach them correctly this time?"

"Oh, yes, we'll teach them correctly, you can rely on that. I'm using the same manual, techniques, and curriculum that I used the first two times. I've got it practically memorized now!"

Dee-dee-dee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.