Community
Wiki Posts
Search

California Agricultural Inspections

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Pluma
If these agricultural inspection stations are going by the honor system, then why not just have unmanned drop boxes?

A sign could be posted what products are not allowed, and that you must deposit those products into a drop box.

Strange that simply saying that you have no forbidden products, gets you a pass.
Because most people don't know if their fruit is an offending fruit or not. It's not just "an orange," it's an "orange from such-and-such place." It can be complicated and most people would just drive through.

I don't get waved through like most people here most of the time - I say maybe 25%. I almost always ask where I am coming from (to assess if I might even have an offending fruit.) I think that is because there tends to be very little traffic at my crossing points and the people are probably just bored.

There is a "honor" system at some checkpoints though - US 50 has a "Returning Locals" lane where people can just drive through without stopping.

It's also possible to get into California without passing through. Dirt roads are easy, but sticking to the state route system, you can take NV 431 to NV 28/CA 28 and take the 89 to Truckee. This will get you to I-80 after the I-80 agro checkpoint. There's another way I've done it from Nevada, but I forget.

When I pass through checkpoints with a lot of traffic, such as I-10, they are more likely to wave you through.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
All California Ag checkpoints are relics of 1912 and a complete waste of money. They will wave you through 90% of the time and let you go another 90% of the time if you claim not to have fruits or vegetables or live animals. But woe betide anyone who is moving and driving a rent-a-truck loaded to the gills with furniture. They will thoroughly inspect your load.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by SecurityTheaterFanClubPresident
I don't get waved through like most people here most of the time - I say maybe 25%. I almost always ask where I am coming from (to assess if I might even have an offending fruit.) I think that is because there tends to be very little traffic at my crossing points and the people are probably just bored.
The answer: "Arizona" will usually get you waved through without any further trouble on I-10 and I-40.

There is a "honor" system at some checkpoints though - US 50 has a "Returning Locals" lane where people can just drive through without stopping.
Good to know.

It's also possible to get into California without passing through. Dirt roads are easy, but sticking to the state route system, you can take NV 431 to NV 28/CA 28 and take the 89 to Truckee. This will get you to I-80 after the I-80 agro checkpoint. There's another way I've done it from Nevada, but I forget.
I would not recommend using dirt roads you don't know unless you are a very good driver and drive a very small vehicle. Some of them take you through very difficult mountain passes.

Do you know of a way to avoid the checkpoint on I-40? This one seems to be the most troublesome. They asked me to open my trunk twice, but after a long day of driving I did not have the presence of mind to fight this battle.

When I pass through checkpoints with a lot of traffic, such as I-10, they are more likely to wave you through.
Definitely a true statement.

However, the Ag checkpoint on I-8 doubles as a CBP checkpoint. Expect trouble there.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Every time I driven into California, I've been stopped.

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
While I can somewhat appreciate the intent of what these guys are doing, it's a classic thing that had good intent but turned into a make work program that really produces very little tangible result.
Considering that there are no inspections of commercial flights that arrive from other states into California, I find the whole thing to be pointless.

I'm somewhat surprised AZ doesn't set up agricultural inspections as a pretext for catching illegal immigrants.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mbstone
But woe betide anyone who is moving and driving a rent-a-truck loaded to the gills with furniture. They will thoroughly inspect your load.
They didn't inspect mine. All they asked is if I had a BBQ grill.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765
Every time I driven into California, I've been stopped.
Do you mean stopped and asked a couple of questions or searched?

Considering that there are no inspections of commercial flights that arrive from other states into California, I find the whole thing to be pointless.
Completely agree.

I'm somewhat surprised AZ doesn't set up agricultural inspections as a pretext for catching illegal immigrants.
Plenty of random CBP checkpoints (in addition to the stationary one near Yuma) along I-8/I-10 corridor.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by mbstone
But woe betide anyone who is moving and driving a rent-a-truck loaded to the gills with furniture. They will thoroughly inspect your load.
My dad and I were driving a Uhaul with all of my personal effects and furniture on I-5 SB in 2008. We replied in the negative to the fruit question and were sent on our way in less than 5 seconds. We didn't get a question about a grill either.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 9:53 am

Agricultural Checkpoints between Nevada and California

2016 update!

Ag checkpoint is still in use, but they wave most cars through, and even trucks they just ask what you're hauling. Now, if it's not busy, they might take the time to do a proper inspection, but they're severely undermanned, so expect a simple slowdown.
The only problem would be if a lot of trucks get lined up, cars would get pushed into the left lane before the checkpoint.
Just don't look suspicious or have fruits or vegetables and you'll be fine.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 5:02 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
I drove to the Mohave Reserve and back from Vegas. I remember seeing the agriculture inspection sign and I expected to have to stop like I had to entering CA via I-80 but I didn't have to stop. I saw tollbooth type things on the right where I assumed trucks went but didn't see anything on the main freeway of i-15.

Do they sometimes close that part of the road and force everyone through the tollbooth area or did I miss something while driving?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 11:15 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
My experience is limited, because I have only made the drive about 25 times. But it is just an ag checksite and they almost never stop cars (in my limited experience).
Old Dec 18, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
I drove to the Mohave Reserve and back from Vegas. I remember seeing the agriculture inspection sign and I expected to have to stop like I had to entering CA via I-80 but I didn't have to stop. I saw tollbooth type things on the right where I assumed trucks went but didn't see anything on the main freeway of i-15.

Do they sometimes close that part of the road and force everyone through the tollbooth area or did I miss something while driving?
Originally Posted by sbrower
My experience is limited, because I have only made the drive about 25 times. But it is just an ag checksite and they almost never stop cars (in my limited experience).
Second this. I've made the drive on occasion, never been stopped. Also, the ag station is only for people heading into California anyway.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
I believe with cars they just look for vehicles with certain states' plates where there is some type of outbreak. I haven't even had to roll my window down in at least 10 years driving with AZ or CA plates.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Drove Wed. from Tucson/Phoenix to LA on I-10 & they were just waiving cars through.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Serious question - are there ever agricultural checks on domestic air passengers arriving in California? I've never seen one, but it seems like that would be the way to travel if one really wanted to circumvent inspection for some reason. Are domestic passengers transiting California airports supposed to declare homegrown foods somewhere?

<deleted>

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 3, 2017 at 5:49 pm Reason: Going OMNI
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by lonelycrowd
Serious question - are there ever agricultural checks on domestic air passengers arriving in California? I've never seen one, but it seems like that would be the way to travel if one really wanted to circumvent inspection for some reason. Are domestic passengers transiting California airports supposed to declare homegrown foods somewhere?

<deleted>
No and no. Here's an article from a few years ago about the type of vehicles they're looking for. An air passenger is unlikely to be carrying any pests in any quantity (if at all).

http://m.reviewjournal.com/business/...angers-drivers

Last edited by Lost; Jan 3, 2017 at 7:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.