Community
Wiki Posts
Search

California Agricultural Inspections

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Are they actually looking for animals? We are moving to CA in a few months and will be driving southbound from WA through OR and then into CA and bringing a collection of pet birds with us that will certainly be visible in the car. I want to make sure this won't be a problem, otherwise we need to plan detours to get around the checkpoints although I don't recall seeing an agriculture check station southbound from Oregon on I5
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:47 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Are they actually looking for animals? We are moving to CA in a few months and will be driving southbound from WA through OR and then into CA and bringing a collection of pet birds with us that will certainly be visible in the car. I want to make sure this won't be a problem, otherwise we need to plan detours to get around the checkpoints although I don't recall seeing an agriculture check station southbound from Oregon on I5
California Border Protection Stations (BPS):
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

WHAT ARE YOUR INSPECTORS LOOKING FOR?

Our inspectors check vehicles and commodities for compliance with California and federal plant quarantine regulations. They also check commodities to make sure they are free from exotic invasive species that may be hitchhiking with them. Although the primary focus is on plant materials (i.e., fruits, vegetables, nursery stock, hay, firewood, etc.), other items are also frequently inspected.

<snip>

CAN I BRING MY PETS INTO CALIFORNIA?

There are no restrictions for bringing dogs and cats into California (if bringing a dog, you are encouraged to carry proof of rabies vaccination). However, under California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) regulations, certain exotic animals are restricted and may not be transported or possessed in California without a permit. These regulations are designed to keep non-native animal species from becoming established in the State and to ensure exotic animals in captivity are properly cared for. In a cooperative effort, these regulations are enforced at our border stations. The most common restricted species encountered at our stations are: Ferrets, gerbils, hedgehogs, Quaker or Monk Parrots, and sugar gliders. Follow this link for information on wildlife that are exotic or not native to California or may be considered a nuisance at times.

For more information or to apply for restricted species permits, contact the CDFW License and Revenue Branch at 916-928-5846.

<snip>
Old Jan 7, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
although I don't recall seeing an agriculture check station southbound from Oregon on I5
https://goo.gl/maps/ENG9win72Mz
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:55 pm

There is a check station there, in Hornbrook:

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/PE/ExteriorExclusion/CalBorderStationMap.pdf

They will confiscate any ferrets, or you have to turn around:

<deleted by moderator>

Last edited by juliep; Feb 4, 2017 at 6:53 pm Reason: FT Rule 15

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.