Wiki Posts
Search

"You'll never believe it! I bought a bra!"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2011, 7:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

"You'll never believe it! I bought a bra!"

That was the subject line of an e-mail I just received from a female relative. This woman, not young, is not endowed and has never worn a bra. She wears a camisole and a shirt over the camisole.

Apparently, she recently took her first flight in over a year. At an airport, she didn't tell me which one, a screener insisted that she remove her outer shirt. My relative protested that all she had underneath was her underwear, but apparently the screener didn't believe her. She argued a bit and then capitulated. Of course, because she argued she was pulled aside for a pat down.

She told me she was totally humiliated by the pat down as the screener took what little breast she has and "jiggled" it around.

Her e-mail said she now understands my position on the TSA and from now on she will wear a bra through the airport check point.

She didn't say if she went through WBI. I asked her that in my reply e-mail and whether or not she filed a complaint. I doubt she would do that but, then again, I was surprised to read that she argued with the screener over taking off her "outermost" garment.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by doober
That was the subject line of an e-mail I just received from a female relative. This woman, not young, is not endowed and has never worn a bra. She wears a camisole and a shirt over the camisole.I was surprised to read that she argued with the screener over taking off her "outermost" garment.
Osama bin Laden would have worn a camisole. Oops, did I disclose SSI?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by doober
That was the subject line of an e-mail I just received from a female relative. This woman, not young, is not endowed and has never worn a bra. She wears a camisole and a shirt over the camisole.

Apparently, she recently took her first flight in over a year. At an airport, she didn't tell me which one, a screener insisted that she remove her outer shirt. My relative protested that all she had underneath was her underwear, but apparently the screener didn't believe her. She argued a bit and then capitulated. Of course, because she argued she was pulled aside for a pat down.

She told me she was totally humiliated by the pat down as the screener took what little breast she has and "jiggled" it around.

Her e-mail said she now understands my position on the TSA and from now on she will wear a bra through the airport check point.

She didn't say if she went through WBI. I asked her that in my reply e-mail and whether or not she filed a complaint. I doubt she would do that but, then again, I was surprised to read that she argued with the screener over taking off her "outermost" garment.
Pistole has repeatedly said, except for tight skirts, pax will never be told to remove clothing. Was she given a reason why she had to take her shirt off?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by I'd Rather Walk
Pistole has repeatedly said, except for tight skirts, pax will never be told to remove clothing. Was she given a reason why she had to take her shirt off?
Not having heard back yet, I am going to presume it was because it looked as if she was wearing layers of clothing and the screener did not believe that the innermost layer was, in fact, her underwear.

IIRC, we have heard of female business travelers being required to remove suit jackets even when they were wearing nothing but a camisole underneath the jacket.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 1:18 pm

I didn't use to wear a bra when traveling. Now, like the OP's relative, I wear a bra.

Pistole has repeatedly said, except for tight skirts, pax will never be told to remove clothing.
This is news to me. I usually wear a cotton t-shirt and a lightweight, dressy overshirt because planes are often cold and the overshirt doubles as casual business attire. US "security" personnel usually tell me to remove the overshirt, although it's not bulky. They (male and female) say I "need" to put it in the bin. This has happened several times on business trips in the US.

I recently wore the same overshirt when traveling between Mexico and the UK and don't remember being told to take it off.

I also don't understand why the TSA seems determined to have me strip to my innermost layer when I've seen videos of women going through security or being patted down while wearing hoodies, sweaters, and other poofy layers. I'm often mistaken for being young, so I'm left wondering if it's the fact that I'm alone and supposedly young that makes the stripping "necessary."

The last time I was in the US, the new procedures had just been implemented. So in addition to being told to strip to my t-shirt, I was pulled from the metal detector line and told to go through the NOS, where I opted out and got my grope.

In two weeks I start another round of trips in the US. I had thought the overshirt would create less of an issue than my suit jacket, but now I feel like neither one is going to be acceptable and I should just wear a Hooters super-tight t-shirt and be done with it.

Last edited by Mimo; Mar 7, 2011 at 4:13 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 7, 2011, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mimo
I'm often mistaken for being young, so I'm left wondering if it's the fact that I'm alone and supposedly young that makes the stripping "necessary."
I have no doubt that this is a heavily-weighted factor in the TSA's motivation to have a passenger remove their clothing.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 1:35 pm

I'm starting to believe something SSI indicates that small chested women are terrorists. I am one myself, and have very often been targeted for breast examinations at the checkpoint, even when wearing clothes that clearly showed there was nothing to hide around that area...
Old Mar 7, 2011, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
I'm starting to believe something SSI indicates that small chested women are terrorists. I am one myself, and have very often been targeted for breast examinations at the checkpoint, even when wearing clothes that clearly showed there was nothing to hide around that area...
There has been alot of complaints about TSA males targeting large breasted women. So to quiet the critics, maybe they implemented a quota system, x number of large to y number of small.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 4:13 pm

And just to muck up the statistics, I'd describe myself as "medium."
Old Mar 7, 2011, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Pissy also said NEXUS cards would not be a problem, but we know that has not happened
Old Mar 7, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mimo
And just to muck up the statistics, I'd describe myself as "medium."
It sounds to me as if the requirement is that females have breasts. Or a prosthesis. Or two.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thread is pointless without pictures.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I think the TSA'ers need to be shown what a terrorist wearing an explosive vest looks like and what it feels like if you frisk such a person. It is quite obvious when someone is wearing such a vest, though it is much easier to conceal in loose Arab garb.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, 2MM
In my experience, this happens frequently.

I was ordered to remove my thin, form-fitting cardigan by a TSO in MIA last week before going though the WTMD. I protested, saying that I was only wearing underwear underneath (a camisole). The agent insisted that I must remove my outer layer, so I did, complaining loud enough for people around me to hear that I should not be required to go through screening in only my underwear.

Once through the WTMD, while waiting for my clothes to come through the xray machine, my husband gave me his jacket to cover myself so I didn't have to stand there exposed.

I asked for a supervisor and explained to him what had happened. He agreed that the screener had been wrong, and should not have ordered me to strip, and said that he would speak to him.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Thread is pointless without pictures.
It occurred to me that I do have a (blurry, uninteresting, and gender-free) picture in this blog post. It shows the offending overshirt, apparently unbuttoned and with a guayabera underneath.

The guayabera eventually disintegrated and was replaced with a black t-shirt, and now the overshirt is usually buttoned. Picture a long-sleeved, slightly dressy black shirt that's buttoned but untucked and you'll be picturing a threat to US national security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.