Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

How many TSO's, LTSO'S, STSO'S, Leo's, BDO's etc. are on this forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many TSO's, LTSO'S, STSO'S, Leo's, BDO's etc. are on this forum?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2010, 8:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
To be fair, a number of those were run out of town by their employer. It's not just the regulars here that have impacted participation.

You're right about that, at least in the early days of this forum. I remember going in and deleting all posts for some panic-stricken TSA'ers who said they didn't realize they would be fired for posting here.

Maybe I'm imagining it but there doesn’t seem to be as many barriers for TSA folks to post on IBB's any longer.

But I wouldn't wade in here and post if I were a TSO. Why deal with the anger and hostility?

And, hey, as a very frequent flier myself, I'm as angry and hostile toward the TSA as anybody else on this board. But I can also make the distinction between the big, bad TSA/DHS bureaucracy and FT'ers who are also TSO's and who want to contribute here.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 8:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
so, why do you feel safe each time you are on an airplane?

Is it that you feel confident the aircraft maintenance crew have done their job?

That the refuelers have put the correct fuel into the tanks?

The pilot is well trained and certified?

The Flight Attendants are well trained and certified?

Your seat meets safety standards?

Your seat belt meets safety standards?

Your underpants elastic is 'fit for purpose'?

All these things are mandated and measurable, the TSA circus and TSO charade, not so much...
+1000 It's not passenger screening that gives me any sense of safety.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by JoiseyGirl
...I am thankful each time I am on a airplane that I feel safe...
The key word being "feel." TSA theater fools some of the people, some of the time. Please think critically about how safe you really are, and whether taking off your shoes, having your naked body scrutinized by strangers, etc. really results in a more secure aircraft... or just a vague, illusory "feeling" of safety.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
To be fair, a number of those were run out of town by their employer. It's not just the regulars here that have impacted participation.
It's also possible that some have also gone on to other employment. I know one that has recently expressed disgust at having to do enhanced patdowns, and is thinking about (or has) quit the TSA.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:10 am

Of the at least 200 TSO's who used to post here, trust me, the great majority were run out of town. The number who stopped posting due to a fear of losing their job was much smaller. At least where we know the actual reason they stopped posting.

And, BTW, let's not name any names here. This is just for general discussion. We had to delete a post a few minutes ago where a member was specifically naming other members. We don't allow calling out other members, TSA'ers or not.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:11 am

I actually am not here to banter uglies back and forth but to say that I am thankful each time I am on a airplane that I feel safe.
Maybe your first post shouldn't have called most of the board ignorant. The first ugly bantered in this thread was by you.

...a lot of the posts here are absolutely "hostile" towards TSA and their employees...
Hostile, as in calling people ignorant?

...and most of them don't truly know a dang thing... ...are hostile and ignorant...
Care to clarify what exactly is ignorant? What would you say about somebody that claims THE CONSTITUTION DOESN'T APPLY TO TSA or that we don't have the right to freedom of movement?

...thank you for your honest reply.....seems not alot of that is present in this forum
Care to elaborate or are you going back to lurking? FT'ers thrive on the debate. Bring it on.

The ones that are the hostile and ignorant are the ones who would be the first to scream that TSA wasn't doing their job if we had an attack on our homeland....it is quite sad...
You might want to rub the crap off your crystal ball. We are already complaining that TSA isn't improving security. What we have now is very expensive, very ineffective security theater at the expense of our personal liberties. You can bet our screams are not (and will not be) for an encore of security theater.

Last edited by ScatterX; Oct 14, 2010 at 9:18 am
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No "hit and run" poster here it seems the hostility that is directed to TSA and TSO's is from being treated disrespectful at checkpoints. For that, the TSO is directly responsible NOT TSA. I actually am not here to banter uglies back and forth but to say that I am thankful each time I am on a airplane that I feel safe. If you (all of you) except for LessO2 want to bash me for expressing my opinion then so be it.....

It seems to me that we all have had at one time or another had bad experiences whether it be with checkpoints at airports or other transportation vessels......I just voice what is my opinion and thankfully I am thick skinned

So, bash away......Oh, btw, I had real life things to do and that is why I didn't post for the last few days
I share the same concerns and disgust about the TSA that most others here do. The difference is that some (and only some) here, I feel, take the conversation and overall theme right into the toilet sometimes, and that's a shame.

Because I think there is potential for this forum to be a conduit, whether official or unofficial, to DHS/TSA headquarters. I hold out hope someday that some of us can speak directly to someone at TSA (and not just a spokesperson or public affairs person), and express our concerns and let us give them some constructive feedback.

Originally Posted by Cholula
Unfortunately, this forum has been very unwelcoming and hostile to any and all TSA/DHS employees from Day One and not just the last couple of years.

I've been a moderator in this forum since it opened for business in 2004 and have seen well over 200 TSA/DHS FT'ers run out of town on a rail.

It seems to me we'd want to encourage a few to stay around so that we could cuss and discuss TS/S issues with them rather than just argue amongst ourselves.

But that's just me I guess.
I think that's partially due to the one-sided nature of things at checkpoints. Some front-liners just have this "talk to the LEO" attitude if anything is said out of the ordinary. For that, I can completely understand this being a place to vent.

However, that feeling and mentality is not just a by-product of this board, it's what drives this board. Revert back to the previous reply.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by LessO2
...some (and only some) here, I feel, take the conversation and overall theme right into the toilet sometimes, and that's a shame.
^Constructive debate would be ideal.

The OP, on the other hand, in her first volley into this forum, chose to label everyone ignorant.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I share the same concerns and disgust about the TSA that most others here do. The difference is that some (and only some) here, I feel, take the conversation and overall theme right into the toilet sometimes, and that's a shame.

Because I think there is potential for this forum to be a conduit, whether official or unofficial, to DHS/TSA headquarters. I hold out hope someday that some of us can speak directly to someone at TSA (and not just a spokesperson or public affairs person), and express our concerns and let us give them some constructive feedback.

I think that's partially due to the one-sided nature of things at checkpoints. Some front-liners just have this "talk to the LEO" attitude if anything is said out of the ordinary. For that, I can completely understand this being a place to vent.

However, that feeling and mentality is not just a by-product of this board, it's what drives this board. Revert back to the previous reply.
I don't see TSA showing any desire to engage in dialogue. With TSA information only flows in one direction if it flows at all.

It was the hope of many that PV would be a true place of discussion but that hope was short lived.

I too would like to see real discussion but TSA has to open the door first.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:09 am

I actually am not here to banter uglies back and forth but to say that I am thankful each time I am on a airplane that I feel safe.
Welcome to FT.

Would you still feel safe if you knew that loaded guns are ending up planes and in airports today, brought on by people not otherwise authorized to have them in these areas, precisely because of TSA security screening procedures in place today?

Would you still be thankful if you knew that the 9/11 hijackers used weapons placed on planes by people who today are still not screened per TSA policy?

How do you, JoiseyGirl, being electronically strip searched, patted down, frisked, scrutinized, and otherwise restricted in free travel within the borders of your own country feel any safer today knowing that loaded guns, knifes, and terrorists get on planes not in spite of TSA procedure and TSO behavior, but because of it?

And I take exception to your statement that we will be among the first to cry foul against TSA if something happens. I am crying foul today because exactly the things TSA is doing today puts us, our infrastructure, and our values at risk. Today.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:21 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Unfortunately, this forum has been very unwelcoming and hostile to any and all TSA/DHS employees from Day One and not just the last couple of years.

I've been a moderator in this forum since it opened for business in 2004 and have seen well over 200 TSA/DHS FT'ers run out of town on a rail.

It seems to me we'd want to encourage a few to stay around so that we could cuss and discuss TS/S issues with them rather than just argue amongst ourselves.

But that's just me I guess.
You are not alone.

Originally Posted by ScatterX
I think there's significant difference between 'constructive feedback' and 'constructive debate'. The intent behind many threads is the former but the discussion too often skips even a pretense of the latter quickly sliding into 'destructive debate'.

The OP, on the other hand, in her first volley into this forum, chose to label everyone ignorant.
It's hard not to take the bait, no question, but in the interest of 'constructiveness' we must resist the urge to return fire.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I don't see TSA showing any desire to engage in dialogue. With TSA information only flows in one direction if it flows at all.

It was the hope of many that PV would be a true place of discussion but that hope was short lived.

I disagree. I think the Flyertalk community is a powerful voice in the travel industry and the TS/S subforum is an ideal place for public discussion but only if we commit to a higher level of discourse for the long haul. Not that the TSA will in fact come if we open the door first, but without prior demonstration of extended civility I don't them even sniffing the welcome mat. Maybe we could achieve this by initiating a lounge thread for venting or moving some threads to OMNI/OMNI PR. (I don't have a solution off the top of my head.)

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 14, 2010 at 11:26 am
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Part of my dismay is kind of what you said in reply to the OP. That's kind of the heart of the problem here. So what if she said what she said? I've heard a LOT worse, MUCH worse, dished out from people directed at GAs or FAs, and they just let it slide.

I think if we were able to do that here, the mood here would change for the better. I mean, this is an internet discussion board, not life or death.

I think they have opened the door into FT. However, they clearly do not like what they see in here. And I can't really say I blame them.

But you're right, as a whole, they don't really seem to care about us in general. My hope is that constructive dialogue in here might get some people at HQ thinking about listening to what we have to say.....whether it's culling ideas from discussions on the board or actively soliciting our ideas, it doesn't matter.

Frankly, when things like "Nappy," "Pissy" and "Skeletor" come onto this board, I don't blame them for dismissing us. To some (but not me) it's fun and/or funny to call them names, but the end result is a lumping of everyone who contributes in this forum to being in the third grade.

Originally Posted by essxjay
You are not alone.

I think there's significant difference between 'constructive feedback' and 'constructive debate'. The intent behind many threads is the former but the discussion too often skips even a pretense of the latter quickly sliding into 'destructive debate'.

It's hard not to take the bait, no question, but in the interest of 'constructiveness' we must resist the urge to return fire.

I disagree. I think the Flyertalk community is a powerful voice in the travel industry and the TS/S subforum is an ideal place for public discussion but only if we commit to a higher level of discourse for the long haul. Not that the TSA will in fact come if we open the door first, but without prior demonstration of extended civility I don't them even sniffing the welcome mat. Maybe we could achieve this by initiating a lounge thread for venting or moving some threads to OMNI/OMNI PR. (I don't have a solution off the top of my head.)
Well said.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by essxjay
You are not alone.

FT could be an excellent platform if TSA HQ wanted to participate.

The front line TSA folks that have come here give good information that is helpful but have little pull to change things.

I agree that TSA types get a full ration of BS here, I am as guilty as anyone, but I have attempted to dial back the comments in an attempt to share thoughts instead of anger.

I would still like to see some discussion from TSA instead of telling the public how it will be. TSA truly seems to have zero customer service skills.

I pledge to attempt constructive discussions from here out.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:20 pm

I pledge to attempt constructive discussions from here out.
That's a start. Thanks.

Anybody else willing to take The Pledge™??
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anybody else willing to take The Pledge™??
I'm definitely in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.