Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

IAD - Agent on a Power Trip - Supervisor doesn't care

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD - Agent on a Power Trip - Supervisor doesn't care

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
What I do not appreciate is the arrogant, condescending, "I am in control and you WILL do what I say" tone that I often encounter.
Army Drill Sergeant Syndrome. Propagated by those in charge of the agency that believe that untrained civilians can be humiliated into compliance if they are yelled at and degraded. Break their spirit and they will be compliant little sheep.

Decades of management theory ignored.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by danl08
But isn't yelling at someone who doesn't speak English the best way to make them understand you? C'mon everyone knows that.....
I was so relieved to return to my summers of non-US travel and to experience civility at airports. I counted a number of 'please' and 'thank you' at MUC, GLA, EDI, LHR, CWL and no barking, even when people made mistakes. Even the request to swab me was a request, with pleasantries and thank yous.

There is absolutely no need for this type of behaviour. I see it as a concious choice in an attempt to intimidate or show power, and all that it does is show a lack of respect and common sense. Ignorant people tend to shout in an attempt to get their point across, because they cannot do it with reason.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Army Drill Sergeant Syndrome.
He probably was one once; we are repeatedly told that ex-military make the very best screeners .
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2
That's under the assumption you take one of the two posters you quoted seriously.
I think I take one seriously, but not the other. Does it matter which?
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ldsant
...I asked for a supervisor. When I explained how, imo, there is NO reason for this guy to be screaming and yelling, his response was "I didn't hear him. . ." I then had him stand there for 10 minutes with me as the TSA person continued to yell. I was also filling out a form about this at the same time. The supervisor then told me that they were making a lot of improvements and that making it calmer was one of them. I looked at him and said "well then you need to coach that guy and get him "on the program..."
Good for you OP. ^^

I've asked the question before: FTers, even limiting it to those reading this thread, have undoubtedly flown out of dozens of different countries. Mrs. Fredd and I ourselves have flown out of more than 20 countries in Europe, Asia, Africa, the South Pacific, South America, and North America and we're far from unique in this forum.

Can anybody name three other countries... no, make it two countries... heck, make it any other country in which it's as consistently unpleasant to get through security to board a plane?

I will say it seems to be improving but every so often a barker raises his noisy head. And of course just as I mention modest improvements, the Nude-O-Scopes are scheduled to arrive at an airport near us.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Army Drill Sergeant Syndrome. Propagated by those in charge of the agency that believe that untrained civilians can be humiliated into compliance if they are yelled at and degraded. Break their spirit and they will be compliant little sheep.
Perhaps we need to start shouting, "SIR YES SIR!" in response...
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Fredd
Good for you OP. ^^

I've asked the question before: FTers, even limiting it to those reading this thread, have undoubtedly flown out of dozens of different countries. Mrs. Fredd and I ourselves have flown out of more than 20 countries in Europe, Asia, Africa, the South Pacific, South America, and North America and we're far from unique in this forum.

Can anybody name three other countries... no, make it two countries... heck, make it any other country in which it's as consistently unpleasant to get through security to board a plane?

I will say it seems to be improving but every so often a barker raises his noisy head. And of course just as I mention modest improvements, the Nude-O-Scopes are scheduled to arrive at an airport near us.
Thanks for this post.

I have only flown to three countries: USA, Canada, Mexico. I have avoided travel to other areas because I suspected it is more difficult. After all, this is the good ol' U S of A and we know we are the best at everything and everywhere else is just third world or worse.

It is nice to know that my suspicions are unfounded. I intend to expand my horizons, mostly based on the good experiences I have read about here.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:48 pm

Thanks for this post.

I have only flown to three countries: USA, Canada, Mexico. I have avoided travel to other areas because I suspected it is more difficult. After all, this is the good ol' U S of A and we know we are the best at everything and everywhere else is just third world or worse.

It is nice to know that my suspicions are unfounded. I intend to expand my horizons, mostly based on the good experiences I have read about here.
What is interesting to me is that I have long posted how peaceful it can be to travel in other countries, due to the lack of shouting at security, the lack of carry on scrum, the quick turn times, and the overall lack of drama.

I notice a marked difference flying in the US vs elsewhere, even if the touchy feelies are out in other countries. The difference is that security is professional and doesn't try and increase the panic/drama level amongst passengers.

Yet I have been called anti-American for saying that, even when I wasn't anti-TSA. I am not anti-American; I consider it ignorant to be 'anti' an entire nation. I am anti-ignorance, however.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Good for you OP. ^^

No, in fact when we travel internationally it's coming home that is the least pleasant, due to the hassles that await us occasionally with customs & immigration and almost always with TSA.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Travel will change your horizons. Take a mileage run to someplace like SIN. Check out the politeness and efficiency of the customs agents. Walk through a metal detector with your shoes on and notice the plane does not fall out of the sky. Then come back to the US of A and get sick at the slow rude reception you get from your home team DHS workforce.

Heck those horrible Commies in Vietnam and Red China do a better job treating tourists nice than DHS treats it's own citizens.

While you were not travelling there, the "third world" worked to improve to first rate status and the "We're #1" USA did not think it had to do anything to stay #1. In the process the US slipped below the standards of the rest of the world.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
not good.. I wonder if they will shoot the ceiling to get our attention..
Hopefully their own foot. ^^^ Like Rastafed over on YouTube.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Travel will change your horizons. Take a mileage run to someplace like SIN. Check out the politeness and efficiency of the customs agents. Walk through a metal detector with your shoes on and notice the plane does not fall out of the sky. Then come back to the US of A and get sick at the slow rude reception you get from your home team DHS workforce.

Heck those horrible Commies in Vietnam and Red China do a better job treating tourists nice than DHS treats it's own citizens.

While you were not travelling there, the "third world" worked to improve to first rate status and the "We're #1" USA did not think it had to do anything to stay #1. In the process the US slipped below the standards of the rest of the world.
Could you please inform those that are looking to illegally immigrate to the United States and to smuggle illegal substances to the United States of that fact. Perhaps they will go and illegally enter and smuggle contraband into those countries. Cause I really don't know why all those "third world" countries as you put it want to come here if the picture is as you paint it.

FB
Old Sep 7, 2010, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Firebug4
Could you please inform those that are looking to illegally immigrate to the United States and to smuggle illegal substances to the United States of that fact. Perhaps they will go and illegally enter and smuggle contraband into those countries. Cause I really don't know why all those "third world" countries as you put it want to come here if the picture is as you paint it.

FB
What???
People smuggle illegal drugs into this country because they can make money by doing so, not because its easy or the Border Patrol people are soooo nice. Its Econ101 - supply and demand. What the poster was saying is that the manner in which our TSA choose to go about its business is neither effective nor efficient and that the procedures in other countries show a different and equally (probably more) effective way of screening people without all the attitude.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 8:29 pm

You will be shocked at what you experience.

In CDG, of all places, interacting with AF staff and French security, they apologized to us that we did not, in fact, have to remove our laptops, our freedom bags, nor our shoes. They truly seemd to pity our jostling at security.

And later at DXB, I have never felt safer at an airport. This as a white, obvious American. I blend in as best I can, but at some point there's no point. Immigration was gracious on the way in. Security was efficient, quiet, and stress free on the way out. There was no need to bark, yell, berate, or intimidate. You knew they knew what they were doing, and that was enough.

In the good ol' US of A, not so much.

Originally Posted by danl08
What???
People smuggle illegal drugs into this country because they can make money by doing so,
Which is the same reason they also smuggle illicit drugs into other countries. America is not unique in this regard, Firebug4...

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 8, 2010 at 7:26 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Sep 7, 2010, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Good for you OP. ^^

+1

Flying out of LHR and SYD, I was amazed at the calmness, and professionalism of both countries agents. No "Barker Bobs" (thanks goalie ), no stupid show carnival, etc.. It was so nice to deal with the SYD agents, I'm surprised I kept my head straight when I had to deal with "Team" SFO...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.