Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frozen liquids at the checkpoint experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Often1
I don't know where the 4 oz. comes from, it's 3 oz. (300 ml. to be precise) and you only get as many as will fit in a one quart bag.

Just check the stuff.
No, it's 3.4 ounces, equal to 100 ml. But that's for liquids & gels.

TSA actually lists frozen spaghetti sauce as a searchable item.

https://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_r...?search=frozen

Search Results For:

frozen spaghetti sauce

Special Instructions

Frozen liquid items are allowed through the checkpoint as long as they are frozen solid when presented for screening. If frozen liquid items are partially melted, slushy, or have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they must meet 3-1-1 liquids requirements.

If the frozen item is packed with ice or ice packs in a cooler or other container, the ice or ice packs must be completely frozen when brought through screening. If the ice or ice packs are partially melted and have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they will not be permitted.

You can pack frozen perishables in your carry-on or checked baggage in dry ice. The FAA limits you to five pounds of dry ice that is properly packaged (the package is vented)...
So it should be allowed. But I'd allow some extra time and bring a small empty duffel so you can go back and check it, if TSA hassles you about it.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoShoesNation
I've checked stuff in my cooler bag before. Put your ice in a few gallon-sized Ziploc bags, squeeze out the air, pack it around the frozen stuff and check it.
I've flown with people who checked three large coolers full of ice cores internationally and then rechecked domestically. I don't recall if they had packed more ice around them.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Britney Spears is permitted, OP is likely not. YMMV.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
I think with the TSA it all depends on the phase of the liquid when you go thru security. If it's frozen solid as a brick, it's a solid. If it's melted even slightly it's a liquid. Because that makes so much sense... as if the bad guys wouldn't think to freeze or solidify nefarious things they might want to bring on board. But then again I'm not sure these "liquids, gels and creams" rules were really made with science/chemistry in mind
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:43 pm

I always bring back citrus from the south. TSA says no problem, as long as I don't cut it open and squeeze out the juice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.