Community
Wiki Posts
Search

College student detained in Philadelphia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2009, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by mikeef
Couldn't that end up leading to the ever-present DY...T?

Mike
The proper response to that is "did you just make a terroristic threat and assault me". Then call for a LEO.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 1:12 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by mikeef
Originally Posted by goalie
pax need to lean to ask one question to the tsa when being questioned like that: am i being detained?
Couldn't that end up leading to the ever-present DY...T?

Mike
yup but threats made by the tsa to me will not be handled very lightly. professionally, yes, but not lightly

Originally Posted by Scubatooth
The proper response to that is "did you just make a terroristic threat and assault me". Then call for a LEO.
bingo!
Old Sep 11, 2009, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by halls120
He should report this to the ACLU.
Something tells me this is already on their radar.

The intelligence community laments the lack of qualified translators, yet this is what happens to qualified-translators-in-training -- potentially highly qualified translators who've taken the time to learn a language in its native environment.

Meanwhile, what if we all bought a copy of this and became Arabic students for 5 minutes every time we passed through a TSA checkpoint? Unfortunately, it's out of stock at Amazon. Must be popular!

Last edited by MikeMpls; Sep 11, 2009 at 2:09 pm
Old Sep 11, 2009, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Something tells me this is already on their radar. I suspect you are correct.

The intelligence community laments the lack of qualified translators, yet this is what happens to qualified-translators-in-training -- potentially highly qualified translators who've taken the time to learn a language in its native environment. A sad commentary.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Meanwhile, what if we all bought a copy of this and became Arabic students for 5 minutes every time we passed through a TSA checkpoint? Unfortunately, it's out of stock at Amazon. Must be popular!
Actually, seeing as to how TSA and FBI had a beef with this individual potentially being "radicalized," it would be far more interesting if we all flew around with a copy of Sayyid Qutb's "In the Shade of the Quran," one of Al Qaeda's ideological foundational texts. Oh, and a copy of the "Communist Manifesto" to cover the "have you joined any communist organizations" bit.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 2:42 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
A question being asked.

As a result of tightened security laws, every bank customer, every mobile phone and Internet user now has to assume that their details and data will be intercepted and stored by the authorities. Civil rights campaigners are particularly critical of a terror suspect list published by the EU. Last year, Council of Europe investigator Dick Marty revealed how innocent citizens could be affected.

"They basically can't prevent themselves appearing on the list," Marty said. "They don't know the exact accusation being levelled at them and they have no way of removing themselves from the list."
At what price security? Civil liberities? Far too expensive.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The comments on fark.com are amusing, interesting and a little more hostile than in FT.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LessO2
The comments on fark.com are amusing, interesting and a little more hostile than in FT.
My fav so far:

"I feel safer. Do you feel safer? Yes, oh yes. I feel safer.

I remember seeing a TSA employee come through my store. I remember, because he was fatter and dumber than the average person. He was one of those people you can look at and go "Well, at least I'm not that guy." Then I realized he was responsible for keeping me safe on an airplane. That's one of the many times I've wept for humanity."
Old Sep 11, 2009, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
...and a little more hostile than in FT.
Just a little?
Old Sep 11, 2009, 3:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Student Arrested and missed Southwest flight due to flashcards

Granted this is more of a TSA thread. Since the TSA gave him some free lodging (Jail), I wonder if they were thoughtful enough to buy him Business Select for his eventual flight out of Philly?

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/ho..._11_fears.html

....TSA spokeswoman Ann Davis tracked down a report on George's encounter, and said that it wasn't the flash cards that got him flagged.

Davis said that George had been selected for screening before he even reached the metal detector by TSA behavioral-detection officers, personnel trained to screen passengers for "involuntary physical and physiological reactions that people exhibit in response to a fear of being discovered."
Old Sep 11, 2009, 3:25 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Here is the good ole TSA sticking their nose where it doesn't belong once again. Hello you dumb bunch of jackholes - flash cards are not a security threat. What gives you bunch of pussified morons the right to look through stuff that is clearly not a threat? Haven't you learned from Fofana yet?
Old Sep 11, 2009, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
What about George does not being charges for this time. PHL police won't have any filed charges against him. He wasn't terrorist at all. He was absolutely is no reason why he is struck in PHL for hours and how exactly he will flying back home to California? Because he is studies to become speaking Arabic languages. He already went to Jordan, Egypt, Sudan. Because Sudan are very vulnerabilities in country are too much violence. I think he would be denied entry into USA due to the countries are still on restrictions. CBP didn't find out any more specific info from his passport while he entry into USA.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Or this.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 4:29 pm
Suspended

We're losing our touch?! Time to coorect that real quick!
Old Sep 11, 2009, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by uavking
Oh, and a copy of the "Communist Manifesto" to cover the "have you joined any communist organizations" bit.
Just join the ACLU -- it was founded by a communist.

Maybe it's time to sign up?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.