Wiki Posts
Search

College student detained in Philadelphia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2009, 5:40 am
Original Poster

College student detained in Philadelphia

LINK

After a couple of more hours two FBI agents appeared and took him to another room for questioning.

They were polite, George said, and asked why he studied Arabic, why he'd been in the Middle East, whether anyone had ever asked him to join a terrorist group, whether he was "Islamic," whether he'd joined any Islamic or Communist (yes, Communist) groups on campus.

"They told me their job is more an art than a science," George said. "They come in and decide whether there's a legitimate threat, and in my case, they decided I was not a threat."
Eventually a woman from the TSA arrived and began asking more questions, like how he felt about 9/11.

"Do you know who did 9/11?" he said that the woman asked.

George said that he told her that it was Osama bin Laden, and that she responded smugly, "Do you know what language Osama bin Laden spoke?"
Van Gogh's "Starry Night" is art. Asking someone what language Ossama bin Laden spoke is the sign the of a moron.

Last edited by magellan315; Sep 11, 2009 at 5:47 am
Old Sep 11, 2009, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I would say "unbelievable," but unfortunately, it's not.

Bruce
Old Sep 11, 2009, 6:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

He should report this to the ACLU.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 6:27 am

"If there's one thing we know that the government needs in the post-9/11 era, it's more college students interested in learning Arabic."

^^

You would think that someone in the "intelligence community" would appreciate that comment.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More evidence the terrorists won long ago.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 7:05 am
Suspended

TSA spokeswoman Ann Davis tracked down a report on George's encounter, and said that it wasn't the flash cards that got him flagged.

Davis said that George had been selected for screening before he even reached the metal detector by TSA behavioral-detection officers, personnel trained to screen passengers for "involuntary physical and physiological reactions that people exhibit in response to a fear of being discovered."...

But Liberati said that it was the stuff that the TSA found in George's backpack and wallet that really aroused their suspicion: the Arabic flash cards with troubling words, a card that had George's name and Arabic script, and the longer hair in George's driver's license and passport photos than his current clean-cut appearance.
Could it possibly be that his behavior was different because he was traveling with the Arabic flash cards, a Jordanian student ID card, as well as a different appearance from his ID photos and was fearful that he would get pulled aside?

This is another case in which the ACLU needs to become involved.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 7:10 am

Programs: Retired-CO Former Long-time Plat, Now a Kettle, Hilton Gold (Thanks AMEX)
Another big score for the spotniks. Keeping Amerika safe, one bumble at a time.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 7:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GoGiants
Another big score for the spotniks. Keeping Amerika safe, one bumble at a time.
He should have asked for any attorney as soon as he was handcuffed.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 7:33 am

Programs: Retired-CO Former Long-time Plat, Now a Kettle, Hilton Gold (Thanks AMEX)
It's so sad to read a story like this on 9/11. A bunch of over-zealous, under-trained, hero wanna be's. The "Spotnik" program strikes again.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 7:45 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
George said that he told her that it was Osama bin Laden, and that she responded smugly, "Do you know what language Osama bin Laden spoke?"
"Do you know what language Timothy McVeigh spoke?"

I wonder whether the TSA lady goes home every night and hides under her bed trembling in fear. It must be horrible to be so frightened of a language.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magellan315
LINK

Van Gogh's "Starry Night" is art. Asking someone what language Ossama bin Laden spoke is the sign the of a moron.
Another failing check mark for the BDO program.

How many other violations of the law did TSA commit?

Profiling.

Exceeded limits of a limited administrative search.

Searched for items not a threat to aviation.

I think TSA employees should be charged with every count of any law violated and let the courts hash out the details.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 7:52 am

"They told me their job is more an art than a science," George said.""

More like playing with finger paints. Art is a product of creative drive, talent, and imagination. None of that is very apparent in this case, well, maybe they imagined George was a threat.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
"Do you know what language Timothy McVeigh spoke?"
Now that would have been a great reply.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 7:59 am

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by IslandBased
"If there's one thing we know that the government needs in the post-9/11 era, it's more college students interested in learning Arabic."

^^

You would think that someone in the "intelligence community" would appreciate that comment.
I'm not in the intelligence community, but do recognize the importance of having fluent Arabic speakers.

This situation disgusts me and agree that the ACLU should be called in. The TSA type should be assigned to checking freight and never be allowed to have any contact with any passenger.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just read the article again.. This kid was flying domestically! My first glance was to assume he was flying back to college in Jordan. Somebody needs to take his case pro bono. This is beyond ridiculous.

Oh yeah --

"I didn't have a weapon or anything seditious, just words on paper," George said. "As an American citizen, I think I'm allowed to learn a foreign language and have flash cards."
Obviously, the TSA disagrees.

Davis said that the report indicates that in the screening area, George's "behavior escalated to a point where our officers deemed it necessary to contact the Philadelphia Police Department."
Show us the checkpoint video, Annie. This is reason enough for an attorney to immediately step in, for nothing else than to ensure that the checkpoint video isn't "disappeared."

a card that had George's name and Arabic script, and the longer hair in George's driver's license and passport photos than his current clean-cut appearance.
The "card" was his student ID, for Pete's sake. Heck, I still have an ID from the Russian space program with my name in Russian that I kept for the same reason.

And, I guess the FBI assumes that nobody ever changes their hair length during the 10-year period of their passport.

In a previous life, I worked with some really good FBI counterintelligence folks. There's a reason these clowns were assigned to the airport. I can't speak for the Philly cop, but, I suspect the same thing applies. The reported questioning approach of the TSA employee was somewhere between silly, unprofessional, and embarassing.

The thing that bothers me the most is that this is an example of someone undergoing a warrantless search, detention, and questioning without a lawyer present with probable cause/reasonable suspicion (whichever standard applies) only being that a SPOTNik "saw something."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.