Community
Wiki Posts
Search

mousse in carry on?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2009, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

mousse in carry on?

Does anyone know if mousse is considered a liquid, gel, or lotion? I am only taking a carry on and my mousse is 6oz. Will I get to take it on plane? Thanks
Old Sep 9, 2009, 4:05 pm

Programs: NW, UA
if the container is larger than 3 oz., it will be confiscated. you're not going to win the argument with the tsa, no matter how you see or justify the composition of the substance.

remember 5th grade chemistry? does it fall under liquid, solid or gas?

Last edited by worldexpress; Sep 9, 2009 at 4:11 pm
Old Sep 9, 2009, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I believe TSA applies a criterion of "If you can pour it or spread it, its a liquid."
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Let's move this to TravelBuzz since it doesn't deal specifically with the WorldPerks program.

Thanks,
slippahs
nwa forum co-moderator
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:17 pm

Good news is you can take mousse with you in your carry-on. Frizz-Ease makes 2 oz cans that I've successfully taken through TSA in many airports. Bed, Bath, and Beyond and Target tend to stock them in their travel section -- it's also available online.

Have a great flight!
Old Sep 14, 2009, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by adgtravel
Does anyone know if mousse is considered a liquid, gel, or lotion? I am only taking a carry on and my mousse is 6oz. Will I get to take it on plane? Thanks
Most mousse comes in an aerosol can of one type or another. It is a liquid in the can and therefore falls under the liquid restrictions. 3.4 ounces or 100 ml.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:13 am

Just leave it in your bag. If they find it: "Ooops, I forgot about that." If not, no harm done.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
Just leave it in your bag. If they find it: "Ooops, I forgot about that." If not, no harm done.
The absolute worst advice you can take....
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Crazyace718
The absolute worst advice you can take....
Why?
Old Sep 14, 2009, 5:51 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
Why?
TSA is considering fining folks for bringing liquids past the checkpoint. In part this is because too many folks have successfully bypassed the confiscation of liquids at the checkpoints. Can't have the passengers getting one over on TSA.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Oh, MOUSSE in carry-on -- I thought it was MOUSE in carry-on, in which case I was going to advise you, DEFINITLY, pack your mouse! And put him in a little arab head-dress, with little mouse-sized arabic flash cards! The TSA will LOVE this, guaranteed!
Old Sep 14, 2009, 9:06 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I travelled a few weeks ago and put my zip lock bag through the screening. The remaining items stayed in my carryon. The screener said my shaving cream (less then 3 ozs) wasnt in my baggie like it should have. I thought it was just liquids that went in baggie. He said aerosols too and let me go. Didnt confiscate it or anything and I went to my gate.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I travelled a few weeks ago and put my zip lock bag through the screening. The remaining items stayed in my carryon. The screener said my shaving cream (less then 3 ozs) wasnt in my baggie like it should have. I thought it was just liquids that went in baggie. He said aerosols too and let me go. Didnt confiscate it or anything and I went to my gate.
Liquids, pastes, gel's, aerosols, and lotions, are the general categories.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
my initial thought was you could always just eat it... then i realised you meant HAIR mousse
Old Sep 15, 2009, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
You should refer to the thread about trying to get the giant stuffed koala on a plane. Oh, not that kind of moose?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.