Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you smuggle a big Koala from Australia to France?

How do you smuggle a big Koala from Australia to France?

Old Sep 10, 2009, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Credit Cards
Talking How do you smuggle a big Koala from Australia to France?

I'm thinking of surprising my cousin with a huge Koala stuffed animal for her birthday... I think it'd measure about four feet tall, and two in diameter.

I'm flying from Australia to France... 3 segments: BNE-SIN-CDG-CFE with the last one being on an Embraer 145

How do I make it work without getting in trouble or paying excessive fees for extra checked in luggage?

Actually, I don't want to check it in, I want it to sit on my lap for 30 hours so I can hand it to her at the airport... will the flight attendants have a problem with that? (I know it won't fit under the seat or in the overhead... but its a cool gift idea...

Please advise...

--Russ

PS. I have seen people at airports with huge plush dogs or teddy bears, but not enough to feel totally secure I can pull this off.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
A four foot tall stuffed bear? Unless you want to check it you’re looking at buying a seat for the guy.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 4:31 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once I returned from Florida with a 3' stuffed tiger I strapped into the car seat (even though it was to big to latch). When it came out in baggage claim everyone was cracking up so I said "father's side".
Old Sep 10, 2009, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by JerseyVics
...and two in diameter.

Very cute idea but airline seats are not even 2 feet in diameter, more like 18 inches.

I guess its worth a shot stuffing it in the overhead but I think you are pushing your luck.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

yeah... the consensus is to go smaller...

I will have to see what I can find!
Old Sep 10, 2009, 4:39 pm

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold
Sounds like fun...

Don't forget to have pictures taken if you manage to take it onboard... (and show us here) I only ever took a small camel from Dubai and made a Photostory out of it (at the airport watching planes, on board, watching tv etc.) to have a nice story for my gf...
Old Sep 10, 2009, 4:39 pm

Just got off an Emb 145. No way that koala will fit in the overhead bins in that toy plane. If you can pull it off on the larger jets, you may get to gate check it on the Emb! Stick a luggage tag through its ear and hope for the best? Otherwise, I would stuff it in a box and check it through.

I would have started with a smaller koala smuggled down the pants and worked up to the jumbo.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 4:44 pm

Could you squash it so it will fit into a large rollaboard?

Alternatively, you could just check it and then surprise her with it at an opportune time after you've landed. You will have just travelled halfway round the world, after all.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by jennj99738
I would have started with a smaller koala smuggled down the pants and worked up to the jumbo.
ahhahahaha... like this:

I first got the idea on Phillip Island in Victoria... but quickly dismissed it as one of those "No freaking way!" deals... now I'm actually thinking it might happen.

But definitely not as big as that...

Part of the fun is traveling with it on my lap... so I refuse to check it in (unless I absolutely have to)

Another part of the fun will be French flight attendants insisting I do something and I'll be an arrogant American and pretend not to understand their accent, LOL
Old Sep 10, 2009, 5:48 pm

That's one fresh koala!

I can just hear and see the French FAs when you board with a giant koala. With one perfectly manicured eyebrow arched, "you want to do what with zat? Here? Non! C'est impossible!"
Old Sep 10, 2009, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Very cute!

Giving its size, I doubt you can claim it as a carryon. (It's more like the other way around of you being carried. )

I think you better get Koala an award tix so you can fly with it in the cabin. If checked, it seems to be an over-sized item. Too expensive!
Old Sep 10, 2009, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Here’s an idea- get a note from your doctor saying it’s a Service Koala, and then get one of these vests:

Old Sep 10, 2009, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

L O L
Old Sep 10, 2009, 8:13 pm

Cute idea but too much hassle. Mail it, go smaller or buy one there. Real Koalas aren't even 4 feet tall.

An award ticket for a plush animal would be kind of expensive. That would be 100,000 miles just for the bear. Checking as oversized luggage would certainly be cheaper (if mailing it isn't possible). Even mailing it will probably set you back at least $100.

Till
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cute idea but not so cute process to execute.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.