Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Entry into Canada with expired passport?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Entry into Canada with expired passport?

I am a Canadian citizen living in Los Angeles. I'm supposed to go to Canada this evening and have just realized my passport expired 5 days ago. Will I be able to board the plane? I have plenty of time to renew my passport once I reach Canada so I'm not worried about re-entering the US. I'm flying on Continental from LAX through Newark to Halifax. Most info I've seen online says that a valid passport is needed. The airline agent said she just go to the airport anyway and try. Is it worth trying? Thanks.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by marbing
I am a Canadian citizen living in Los Angeles. I'm supposed to go to Canada this evening and have just realized my passport expired 5 days ago. Will I be able to board the plane? I have plenty of time to renew my passport once I reach Canada so I'm not worried about re-entering the US. I'm flying on Continental from LAX through Newark to Halifax. Most info I've seen online says that a valid passport is needed. The airline agent said she just go to the airport anyway and try. Is it worth trying? Thanks.
If you check-in at the kiosk and hope the gate agent does a really quick check of your passport before boarding, you should be OK getting into Canada - but you will have a problem getting back here unless you renew your passport while in Halifax.

I'm not sure if Canada made it official for citizens to show a passport to enter - you should check their website and download/print any documentation that states you can enter Canada as a Canadian citizen with photo ID/birth certificate and be prepared to argue this point with the gate agent whose rulebook states a passport is required. You may want to get this documentation ready, get on the phone with a manager at CO, and have them enter some notes on your reservation clearing you to board if you have photo ID/birth certificate or an expired passport.

Before you do anything - remember that you can go to the Canadian consulate and they will make a temporary passport for you on the spot if you show proof of imminent departure and include a letter stating the trip is for work and your employer is requiring you to go.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/whti-ivho...erien-eng.html
Note: Under U.S. law, all travellers (including Canadians) departing the United States by air to any destination (including Canada) must present a valid passport (or a NEXUS card for return to Canada only). For example, if a Canadian citizen enters the United States by land by presenting acceptable documents other than a passport, and then plans to board a flight in the United States destined for Mexico (i.e. an international destination other than Canada), a valid passport is required for the air travel portion. Similarly, if a Canadian citizen drives to the United States and returns to Canada by air, a valid passport or a NEXUS card must be presented to board the plane. It is important to note that a passport is not mandatory for air travel within the United States.

Canadian citizens intending to fly to, through or from the United States should apply for a passport, keep it up to date and carry it with them when traveling. For more information about passports, please visit Passport Canada's Web site.
The implication being that Canada doesn't care, but the US does.

I would try to leave the USA with the expired passport, and if that does not work, cancel the flight, and use the credit toward a flight to a border city, and fly there. Then cross over by land and take a flight to your destination in Canada.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by bocastephen
If you check-in at the kiosk and hope the gate agent does a really quick check of your passport before boarding, you should be OK getting into Canada - but you will have a problem getting back here unless you renew your passport while in Halifax.
The kiosk will ask for passport number and date of expiration. So that won't work. Must use the check in counter.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Theoretically, you just have to provide sufficient proof that you're a Canadian citizen (birth certificate, certificate of citizenship, not sure if an expired passport will cut muster). The airlines may interpret rules differently though.

Here's the rules on TIMATIC assuming you're resident in the U.S.

/ 09JUN09 / 2036 UTC

National Canada (CA) /Residence U.S.A. (US)
Embarkation U.S.A. (US) /Destination Canada (CA)

Canada (CA)

Passport required.
- Passport or passport replacing documents issued to nationals

of Canada must be valid on arrival.
- Warning: if departing from the U.S.A.(regardless of any

destination passport exemptions), a valid passport and/or

accepted departure document (TIRULES/R9) is required by
the U.S. immigration authorities.

Passport Exemptions:

- Recommended proof of citizenship, issued to nationals of

Canada, such as:
- - Canadian Birth Certificate; or

- Certificate of Canadian Citizenship.

- Nationals of Canada holding a valid on arrival NEXUS card,

and:For details, click here
- Legal permanent residents of the U.S.A. holding Permanent
Resident/Resident Alien Card (Form I-551) and seeking entry
to Canada from:

VISA NOT REQUIRED.

Minors:
- Parent(s) travelling with a child under 18 years are
strongly advised to For details, click here
Additional Information:

- Those claiming to be Canadian citizens, presenting documents

other than a valid Canadian passport will be granted entry
upon arrival only if, following an examination by a Canadian

Border Services Officer, they satisfy the officer that they

are a Canadian Citizen.

- Documents issued to nationals of Canada that do not

incorporate a photograph, should be accompanied by
supporting government issued photo identification (e.g.

driver's licence).
Old Jun 9, 2009, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Update

According to an agent at the Canadian Border Services a Canadian can enter Canada through air, sea, or land with a birth certificate. I presume that some photo ID would facilitate the process.

An agent from US Customs and Border Protection says there is no restriction on me leaving (in her words: "we're not a communist country, we won't force you to stay. If your passport is expired we prefer that you leave".) The TSA people said that they would only check for some form of ID, such as a valid drivers license.

I think that the only stumbling block is the airline people. I'll post follow-up details here after I go through the process.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 3:06 pm

You should experience little (if any) difficulty with CBSA when presenting your expired passport to the officer. As a Canadian citizen, you have the right to enter Canada and an officer shall allow you to do so if satisfied following examination on your entry that you are a citizen.

You're correct that your only stumbling block would be with the transporter.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An agent from US Customs and Border Protection says there is no restriction on me leaving (in her words: "we're not a communist country, we won't force you to stay. If your passport is expired we prefer that you leave".)
Not to get too off topic, but wow, they prefer a tax paying legal resident leave?
Old Jun 9, 2009, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mre5765
Not to get too off topic, but wow, they prefer a tax paying legal resident leave?
That's CBP/ICE. The IRS technically requires you to obtain a "sailing permit". The tax-paying non-permanent residents (legal or otherwise) also get to pay into Social Security which they never get to collect.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 6:29 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Just claim to be seeking asylum.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Just claim to be seeking asylum.
According to Citizenship and Immigration Canada, "As a matter of policy, Canadian citizens cannot [make a claim for refugee protection]. Canadian citizens already enjoy the protection of Canadian citizenship and the accompanying benefit of the unqualified right to return to Canada."

I have to wonder why this would even have to be addressed in an operational manual. Of course, if no one knows you're a Canadian citizen....
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
That's CBP/ICE. The IRS technically requires you to obtain a "sailing permit".
Oh no, I've been leaving the USA at once a year for the past 24 years since I got my green card. The IRS is going to get me.

The last time I entered Canada without a passport, I presented my Alberta birth certificate and Colorado drivers license as proof of Canadian citizenship. The bright bulb in Canadian CBP (YUL) asked me what country I was a citizen of, and the address of my hotel in Montreal. The bulbs are no brighter in YVR either (despite all that electric current they keep handy for powering tasers) ... they always ask me for my hotel address.

Do US and Canadian border control people ever mate?
Old Jun 10, 2009, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by mre5765
The last time I entered Canada without a passport, I presented my Alberta birth certificate and Colorado drivers license as proof of Canadian citizenship. The bright bulb in Canadian CBP (YUL) asked me what country I was a citizen of, and the address of my hotel in Montreal. The bulbs are no brighter in YVR either (despite all that electric current they keep handy for powering tasers) ... they always ask me for my hotel address.
One can be in possession of an Alberta birth certificate in one's name without being a Canadian citizen. It is not prima facie proof of Canadian citizenship.

And the taser comment—just plain ignorant.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
Canadian citizens already enjoy the protection of Canadian citizenship and the accompanying benefit of the unqualified right to return to Canada."
Someone should remind Stephen Harper of that (re: Abdelrazik
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Someone should remind Stephen Harper of that (re: Abdelrazik
The Federal Court reminded him last week.

Last edited by yyzvoyageur; Jun 18, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.