FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Entry into Canada with expired passport?
View Single Post
Old Jun 9, 2009, 1:25 pm
mre5765
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by marbing
I am a Canadian citizen living in Los Angeles. I'm supposed to go to Canada this evening and have just realized my passport expired 5 days ago. Will I be able to board the plane? I have plenty of time to renew my passport once I reach Canada so I'm not worried about re-entering the US. I'm flying on Continental from LAX through Newark to Halifax. Most info I've seen online says that a valid passport is needed. The airline agent said she just go to the airport anyway and try. Is it worth trying? Thanks.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/whti-ivho...erien-eng.html
Note: Under U.S. law, all travellers (including Canadians) departing the United States by air to any destination (including Canada) must present a valid passport (or a NEXUS card for return to Canada only). For example, if a Canadian citizen enters the United States by land by presenting acceptable documents other than a passport, and then plans to board a flight in the United States destined for Mexico (i.e. an international destination other than Canada), a valid passport is required for the air travel portion. Similarly, if a Canadian citizen drives to the United States and returns to Canada by air, a valid passport or a NEXUS card must be presented to board the plane. It is important to note that a passport is not mandatory for air travel within the United States.

Canadian citizens intending to fly to, through or from the United States should apply for a passport, keep it up to date and carry it with them when traveling. For more information about passports, please visit Passport Canada's Web site.
The implication being that Canada doesn't care, but the US does.

I would try to leave the USA with the expired passport, and if that does not work, cancel the flight, and use the credit toward a flight to a border city, and fly there. Then cross over by land and take a flight to your destination in Canada.