Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fountain Pen Ban

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2006, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Aus Platinum; UA 1K; Sofitel Platinum (A-Club); Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold / Premium Club
Fountain Pen Ban

Just noticed this on the qantas.com website. Oh well -- no more pens!

"Please also note fountain pens containing ink cartridges may not be carried in cabin unless the ink cartridges are removed. If this is not possible pens must be placed in checked baggage."
Old Aug 12, 2006, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
hmm good point.

humans are 75% liquid also, humans must be banned!!
Old Aug 12, 2006, 7:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
At some airports even ballpoint pens aren't being allowed. Gee how are you supposed to fill in the immigration and customs forms without a pen?
Old Aug 12, 2006, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
At some airports even ballpoint pens aren't being allowed. Gee how are you supposed to fill in the immigration and customs forms without a pen?
blood still works, just sign in blood.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I think that you will take the pen for fill out in the immigration and customs form. You will allowed do that used the pens on the plane. I think that mean you allowed to take the pens through the checkpoint.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 7:13 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Customs

Originally Posted by GlobalSTL
Just noticed this on the qantas.com website. Oh well -- no more pens!

"Please also note fountain pens containing ink cartridges may not be carried in cabin unless the ink cartridges are removed. If this is not possible pens must be placed in checked baggage."
So how do you fill out customs forms in the air prior to arrival. Guess it will have to be done after landing and guess the government of the country you are arriving in will have to supply pens otherwise no one will be able to full the forms out. Or maybe because pens are not available, you will just be able to walk in, no forms anymore, that's inviting a serious problem.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 7:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Bloody stupid! You can always shove the cartridge in your pocket, down your bra or elsewhere. Utterly devoid of wit, that policy.

Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
Post o' the day. ^

Last edited by essxjay; Aug 13, 2006 at 3:45 am
Old Aug 12, 2006, 7:33 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I only need seven letters to say what I want to DHS. I can do it without travelling too.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 7:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by Spiff
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I only need seven letters to say what I want to DHS. I can do it without travelling too.
No prize for guessing that!
Old Aug 12, 2006, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But once you cut yourself to let the blood out, you're violating the liquid ban!
Old Aug 12, 2006, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
How many fountain pen cartridges worth of ink would you have to have in order to do something nefarious? How many fountain-pen cartridges filled with something other than ink would you have to have in order to do something nefarious? This is sounding more and more absurd by the minute. I think we need to either make everyone fly naked with nothing in hand other than their passports or take the safer approach and ban passengers altogether.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 8:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by xyzzy
How many fountain pen cartridges worth of ink would you have to have in order to do something nefarious? How many fountain-pen cartridges filled with something other than ink would you have to have in order to do something nefarious? This is sounding more and more absurd by the minute. I think we need to either make everyone fly naked with nothing in hand other than their passports or take the safer approach and ban passengers altogether.
What about freight?
Old Aug 12, 2006, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by xyzzy
I think we need to either make everyone fly naked with nothing in hand other than their passports or take the safer approach and ban passengers altogether.
Passports and tickets are flammable (= paper). Can't possibly let those on an airplane. Not to mention some evildoer who hates your freedom tinkering with his passport/ticket, right?

As for clothes: I already mentioned in another thread that pax will be required to change into TSA approved/provided uniforms when flying. So airports will need lots of changing rooms, which is no problem, as there will be quite some duty free shops available for conversion. ^

Remember: It's all to preserve your freedom.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:57 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
If Comrade Chertoff will oblige me, I'll be happy to sign my complaint ala Arnold in The Running Man.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by soitgoes
But once you cut yourself to let the blood out, you're violating the liquid ban!
Similarly if you save your urine. I'll try that on my next flight, just for fun. It's sterile, you know!

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.