Wiki Posts
Search

What is your personal opt-out policy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:22 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

What is your personal opt-out policy?

My policy is that I opt out if I am selected for body imaging (either type of machine) unless:

1. I am traveling with colleagues I don't know very well. If they are from my company or close friends, I will opt out. But if I don't know them well, and will be working with them, I won't.

2. I am about to miss my flight. I have determined the number of minutes needed for the pat-down at the airports I use most.

So far, #1 has happened twice, #2 has happened once, and I have gone through probably 4 pat-downs. I would say about 75% of the time I can self-select a WTMD.

Would be interested to hear if other people have set guidelines for themselves.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 3:29 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
  1. BSX every time.
  2. I have surrendered to ATR.
  3. MMW no ATR, long time since seen, I opt out.
  4. My opt out is not affected by companions.
  5. I always try to get to the airport with enough time. My bag gets a secondary often enough to make it necessary.
  6. First choice is to manipulate into a WTMD lane, but it is getting less and less likely.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 3:56 am

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
100% opt out. I arrive at the airport with at least two hours to spare anyway. BKSX I opt out of for the obvious reason (I prefer not to glow in the dark), MMW without ATR I opt-out of for privacy concerns, and MMW with ATR I opt out of for two reasons. One, a nude image of me is still being generated by the machine. Two, I strongly object to the "surrender" pose you're required to take, and will not assume it unless instructed to do so by a law enforcement officer.

When opting out, I'm typically massaged within five minutes. I do recall one time in particular being told by a particularly surly screener that the person who would be frisking me could take up to an hour to arrive. I told him that if that was the case, I would need to speak with a supervisor and an airport police officer right away to discuss the charges of unlawful detention I intended to file against him. Amazingly enough, another screener just happened to be available for a pat-down within two minutes.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 3:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
I always try for the WTMD. If I don't get it; I opt-out.
When queried; I just say "for philosophical reasons".
Old Feb 2, 2012, 3:59 am

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
Originally Posted by fishferbrains
I always try for the WTMD. If I don't get it; I opt-out.
When queried; I just say "for philosophical reasons".
My response if queried as to why is that it's my right to do so. I've never once gotten the, "Are you sure you want to opt-out? The technology is completely safe," talk when using that line.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 6:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
I always opt out. If nothing else so I can see the look on their face when I get to say 'one brain tumor in my life is enough'. And then get to ask them where their medical degree is from.

It was once thought smoking was good for you. So over time, the real story will come out about the radiation involved with the machines. I am not trying to do anything illegal so there is no need for extra screening of me

And it annoys them!!
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I've opted out every time except at MXP where the bodyscanner was mandatory (no opt-outs allowed).
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Opt-Out Procedure In Order of Execution

0. Accomplish my objective, if possible, by video teleconference
1. Drive for any distance 1000 miles or less if over a weekend and 800 miles or less for a one-day travel allotment.
2. Take a train if the itinerary permits.
3. Use at least one airport without NoS or go through a non-NOS checkpoint at a mixed airport
4. Time airport arrivals and checkpoint encounters during times when SDOO is possible
5. When all else fails, opt out every time for any NoS.
  • I make the groping clerk change gloves in my presence and test them before touching me.
  • I require the groping clerk to go through the entire speech so I can challenge him about the definition of "resistance."
  • I ask him if he is going to touch my genitals using the explicit anatomical terms.
  • I generally make it as uncomfortable and as stressful for him as possible.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:42 am

Never opt out, but I'm pretty brave.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I'm an involuntary opt-out. Just my luck I get selected whenever there's a NoS. I explain that I am physically incapable of 'assuming and holding the position'. Whether or not the WTMD is also available, I am always told I'm an 'opt-out'.

(Note: My limitations don't prevent me from successfully navigating the WTMD and I never alarmed it).

On occasion, I am warned that I will be subjected to a very thorough grope, as though that will magically heal my (not readily obvious) physical limitations. If only that were so.

I've often wondered if this same approach is used on wheelchair pax who don't look obviously handicapped.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
My policy is to opt out every single time.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Next tuesday will be Opt Out # 156. I've rarely been asked why.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
0. Accomplish my objective, if possible, by video teleconference
1. Drive for any distance 1000 miles or less if over a weekend and 800 miles or less for a one-day travel allotment.
2. Take a train if the itinerary permits.
3. Use at least one airport without NoS or go through a non-NOS checkpoint at a mixed airport
4. Time airport arrivals and checkpoint encounters during times when SDOO is possible
5. When all else fails, opt out every time for any NoS.
  • I make the groping clerk change gloves in my presence and test them before touching me.
  • I require the groping clerk to go through the entire speech so I can challenge him about the definition of "resistance."
  • I ask him if he is going to touch my genitals using the explicit anatomical terms.
  • I generally make it as uncomfortable and as stressful for him as possible.
This sounds exactly like what I will do--I have yet to fly out of an airport with NoS, but it looks like I have two round trips coming up this summer. I have done inter-terminal transfers at PHL and DCA, but inter-terminal buses saved my skin--I'm honestly wondering if those inter-terminal buses would even exist if terminal security were 9/10.

Can you make the groper test the fresh pair of gloves to make sure they're not already laced with something the explosives detector thinks is explosives? I assume that if you make it uncomfortable and stressful for the groper, they'll want to be done with you ASAP. Have you never gotten a retaliation for doing this? Or do they just want you out of the way?

My policies are similar to yours, but I add a few things:

- No flying for pleasure vacations; there are plenty of excellent destinations and cruise terminals within an 8-hour drive of me. I'm really sorry Hawaii is losing my vacation dollars; maybe they need to lobby harder to fix or eliminate the TSA. I will reverse this policy if I am ever guaranteed WTMD and X-ray only, shoes on, and no touching.

- I limit my flying to what I like to call "mandatory" flying: family visits/reunions, weddings, funerals, and work travel.

- Always arrive at the airport two hours early, no exceptions. I don't care if it's TLH and I'm one of five passengers in the building...I don't want to trigger the TS"O"s' sixth sense to intentionally make me miss my flight for opting out of the NoS.

- When I have to show my photo ID at an airport, I always use my passport, unless a driver's license is explicitly required (i.e., car rental).

- Unload my belt, watch, wedding ring, phones, wallet, and change into my carry-on bag and remove my tablet and any other "outside the bag" items at ticketing, well before the checkpoint TS"O"s get to watch me do this dance and know what's in my bag.

- Opt out of the NoS, no exceptions, no matter who I'm traveling with. Go ahead and think I'm weird.

- Absolutely no departing from airports where NoS refusal would lead to denial of boarding. Currently, IIRC, this would be all UK airports, and AMS if I'm going to the USA. Fortunately, that's why we have high-speed rail, CDG, and BRU.

- If the USA ever eliminates NoS opt-out, I'm done flying in the USA for any and all reasons.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
1. I always try to self-opt-out (i.e. assess the security points available and try to choose one that either doesn't have a NoS or where I have the ability to select a line that doesn't have one, even if that means waiting in a longer line)

2. If selected for NoS, I always opt-out, regardless of what others in my travelling party do.

It's my right to choose groping over cancer
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:02 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I aim for the WTMD, but if pointed in the other direction, I opt out. If I'm traveling with other people, they know I will opt out if needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.