Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your personal opt-out policy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:04 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by chollie
Does anyone here deliberately opt for the NoS instead of the WTMD?
People with metal implants might prefer the NoS, because they are guaranteed a patdown with the WTMD.

Answering OP:
SDOO, followed by 100% opt-out if that fails.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 2:27 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by janetdoe
People with metal implants might prefer the NoS, because they are guaranteed a patdown with the WTMD.
Speaking as someone with a metal implant (and as someone who does not fly to/in the US), I have had WAY too many medical x-rays in the process of diagnosing and receiving and monitoring said implant. More ionizing radiation is the last thing I need.

MMW with ATR (if and when it comes to Australia with a no-opt-out policy) I will probably have to live with. Backscatter, NEVER.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 2:35 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
SDOO, then opt out. My SDOO policy extends to a complete refusal to fly out of any airport which has a no-opt out policy. That means LHR and MAN will never collect a penny of airport taxes out of me again, until such day as they stop this nonsense.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Don't forget LGW, which has MMW (old-school, complete with guy in booth) and no opt-out if selected.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
I'm going to develop a policy tomorrow. Thankfully, there's never been any machine other than a WTMD open for any of my flights so far. Tomorrow, I'm wearing skinny jeans in hope that I don't get an extra pat-down if I manage to continue the WTMD streak.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: DL DM and charter KM
my policy

My personal opt out policy is every single time period! I make sure that I get to the airport early enough just in case I have any issues with the blue shirts that I will still make my flight.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I am a wimp and do what the TSA asks all the time. I take the path of least resistance in other words.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: DL Gold, PC Plat, CP Gold, National Exec
I always opt-out, also. If they ask why, I don't say anything, I just go thru the WTMD and wait for my TSA sexy-time.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I just let the chips fall where they may. I've never opted out and don't plan to.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by stifle
Don't forget LGW, which has MMW (old-school, complete with guy in booth) and no opt-out if selected.
Wasn't this banned by EU regulation recently?

I've been forced through a MMW twice recently. Once in Moscow, once coming out of Gaza at Erez. No opt out at either place. Opted out of MMW once, at BWI.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I am a wimp and do what the TSA asks all the time. I take the path of least resistance in other words.
Me, too.

I'm physically unable to assume the position for the NoS, so I always get the grope when TSA tells me to. Every single time I fly because my physical limitation is never going to go away.

I can walk through the WTMD, but it seems to always be closed when I fly.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Ready2Go
I just let the chips fall where they may. I've never opted out and don't plan to.
I didn't plan on opting out. I'm just physically unable to assume and hold the position, so the TSO always tells me that makes me an 'opt-out'. Guess that's the way the chips fall.

No problem with the WTMD, but the chips never seem to fall that way when I'm at the checkpoint.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Wasn't this banned by EU regulation recently?

I've been forced through a MMW twice recently. Once in Moscow, once coming out of Gaza at Erez. No opt out at either place. Opted out of MMW once, at BWI.
Yes it was banned by the EU, and the UK has chosen to ignore it.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:00 am

FYI- 1. The local police have no jurisdiction over federal regulations. 2. TSA security officers do not detain anyone. However, you will not be allowed through the checkpoint without being properly screened.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
I always opt out. I have never been through either a backscatter or MMW machine. I have never been asked why. I suppose my answer would be "Because I don't want to."

My only exception is if I happen to be traveling (as Wollstonecraft-spouse sometimes does) to an oppressive and/or undemocratic country. Apparently, the US has been happy to hand these things out to such places, so if the alternative is going to a dark hole of a jail, I plan to submit to the scan. It has not yet come up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.