Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

US's Parker: Expect TSA to Become Carry-On Police

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US's Parker: Expect TSA to Become Carry-On Police

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:44 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Doug Parker: America's Michael O'Leary.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Often1
I'm fine w. TSA handling this. Cutting down on the volume of carryons would speed up the line anyway. It's clear to me that the carriers won't enforce their own rules and that even stepped up enforcement by FAA, including fining GA's hasn't made a difference.
Originally Posted by Global_Hi-Flyer
Ah, yes, there's no problem the Government can't solve if they just take it over.

How's the Government doing on the economic and jobs front?

This isn't TSA's job, and it isn't in their charter. Leave the TSA to do what it's supposed to do, and leave the carry-on issues to the carriers. It is, after all, the carriers responsibility to set the baggage rules and allocate space in the airplane.

YOU can always find another carrier that does things the way you want them to. Or you can drive and not be bothered.
Doubt I'll be driving, but am close to certain that within 6-9 months, TSA will be handling exactly as has been reported. No need for personal attacks on FT, they don't move the ball and demean the site.
Agree about personal attacks. No need to implicitly suggest that it had happened.

Since your expressed concern was "that the carriers won't enforce their own rules," the suggestion was appropriate. I agree that the TSA should not be tasked with enforcing "the carriers' rules" for carriers that do not wish to do so themselves.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
The allowable size has nothing to do with the specific aircraft and everything to do with each carrier's published rule (accepted and then enforced by FAA). Just because it is possible to cram a particular bag into an overhead doesn't make it compliant. In fact, it is the cramming of non-compliant roll-a-boards lengthwise into OH's which is causing the lack of OH space.

All that is needed is:
1. FAA rule with a single standard.
2. Sizer fit over the X-Ray at checkpoint. If the bag don't fit, you must acquit (I mean, go back to counter and check).
3. There will always need to be gate-checking for compliant bags on smaller aircraft and there may even be occasions when the OH on mainline are full for some odd reason. It's crazy that F and elites have to be at gate early in order to be able to wait in a seat just so they can be assured of OH space. Ought to be the other way around, allowing F + elite to board at last minute and still find OH space.

Continental sued United at IAD about use of sizers at security checkpoint back in 2001 - restraint of trade. It was settled out of court, but essentially they were removed. If you've ever been behind one (as US Airways tried at IAH in May of 2010), you'll see the mess with car seats, guitars, military duffel bags, and trays turned "landscape mode". Utter mess, poorly handled. Removed in a week - but cost me a flight due to 1.5 hour backlog.
= Sizers are a very, very bad idea at a security checkpoint. Leave the checkpoint for TSA / security / identity checking , not airline policy enforcement.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 2:00 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by flyzabit
Leave the checkpoint for TSA / security / identity checking...
None of those three terms is related to each other in any meaningful way.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 2:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The two biggest advocates for this in the US Senate are no longer in the US Senate. One of them from Alaska and the other from Hawaii -- the former lost his seat due to a family corruption scandal and the latter gave up his seat after one final "Aloha" earlier this month.

The TSA has trouble enough with the basics of WEI interdiction at the screening checkpoints. To let the TSA distract itself with passenger identity checks, unnecessary machine strip searches of passengers' bodies and unnecessary groping of non-WTMD-alarming passengers is tantamount to dereliction of duty to far more reliably prevent WEIs from getting on board planes. It is foolish to let the TSA get further distracted from WEI interdiction by also making it an airline carry-on baggage policy enforcer. The TSA executes its WEI poorly; to let it "focus" on yet more things is just going to make it even worse at executing whatever it is executing.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 28, 2012 at 2:23 am
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:19 pm

Passing the buck is what makes the airline thrive. Many complain about TSA tactics unless it suits their purpose. ..
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Typical of Parker - he can go *** himself. I will not be flying any airline that enforces unreasonable carry on rules (including US and UA). Specifically on any mainline service I expect to be able to carry on my 21" B&R and my stuffed daypack which includes my laptop. Both fit easily in all mainline overheads. I could not give a rats *** about so-called sizers at the checkpoints or gates.

If this is the game they want to play then I will start flying other carriers that accommodate my needs. I simply WILL NOT check luggage ever for a business trip when it fits in the airplane overhead. Particularly when I'm flying in paid C international where I always see extra space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.