Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

US's Parker: Expect TSA to Become Carry-On Police

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Ten minute fix to the problem: Airlines need to charge checked bag fees for gate-checked bags.

But then they'd be the super-bad guys instead of the medium-sized bad guys they are now. They already passed off the ID checking to the TSA, which is a purely revenue-preservation scheme they invented to squash a secondary market on discount tickets.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Ten minute fix to the problem: Airlines need to charge checked bag fees for gate-checked bags.

But then they'd be the super-bad guys instead of the medium-sized bad guys they are now. They already passed off the ID checking to the TSA, which is a purely revenue-preservation scheme they invented to squash a secondary market on discount tickets.
+1 - While I prefer the sizer on the mouth of the X-Ray at the check-point, I also agree that carriers ought to charge a fee for gate-checked bags (where they don't fit the sizer). But, harried GA's aren't equipped to collect last minute fees, so gate-checked over-sized bags should be specially coded so they go to the baggage office on arrival and the fee + a penalty is collected at that point. I also would not waive fees for elites. Needless to say, on the rare occasions when the OH's are full, those with a compliant bag get the gate check free and it goes to the carousel / planeside as the case may be.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, IHG Status-of-the-Day, Avis First. **Freedom fighter: One grope at a time.**
Originally Posted by Fredd
That about covers it. ^

What next? Should TSA enforce having pax board only when their row is called?
Of course.

And there should be one TSO assigned to every plane. (FTSO) Once boarding is complete the FTSO should have the responsibility of checking every mobile device to make sure the device is "completely-powered-down-not-in-airplane-mode."

FTSOs should also be deputized by the ATF. After the mobile device check is finished they can assist the FAs when handing out alcohol to make sure no one is under-age or over-served.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:10 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Just what we need

So what say our resident TSO's on this? My two hockey pucks say you would not be happy
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Often1
+1 - While I prefer the sizer on the mouth of the X-Ray at the check-point, I also agree that carriers ought to charge a fee for gate-checked bags (where they don't fit the sizer). But, harried GA's aren't equipped to collect last minute fees, so gate-checked over-sized bags should be specially coded so they go to the baggage office on arrival and the fee + a penalty is collected at that point. I also would not waive fees for elites. Needless to say, on the rare occasions when the OH's are full, those with a compliant bag get the gate check free and it goes to the carousel / planeside as the case may be.
Don't you think 'specially coded' gate-checked over-sized bags' should also get special handling fees? After all, it's going to require more work for baggage handlers, and a baggage handler who's toting 'speciallly coded' bags to a baggage office is a baggage handler who is not off-loading my bags.

I'm completely against expanding TSA's mission to baggage sizing issues.

TSA hasn't mastered the simplest, most basic functions yet. No time to be adding complex new checks to the process.

As others have pointed out, some of the airlines have chosen to create this problem.

In Asia, particularly on LCCs, carry-on baggage is strictly limited - at checkin, by the airlines. I have been on flights where all carry-ons had to have a carry-on tag.

In the US, Southwest chose to take a different path. Baggage fees have been rolled into ticket prices (the result, for me, is a higher ticket price). However, Southwest isn't grappling with gate check issues and Southwest isn't making the profoundly stupid mistake of asking TSA to get involved in something new.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by chollie
...Southwest isn't making the profoundly stupid mistake of asking TSA to get involved in something new.
Amen.

Bruce
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chollie
Don't you think 'specially coded' gate-checked over-sized bags' should also get special handling fees? After all, it's going to require more work for baggage handlers, and a baggage handler who's toting 'speciallly coded' bags to a baggage office is a baggage handler who is not off-loading my bags.

I'm completely against expanding TSA's mission to baggage sizing issues.

TSA hasn't mastered the simplest, most basic functions yet. No time to be adding complex new checks to the process.

As others have pointed out, some of the airlines have chosen to create this problem.

In Asia, particularly on LCCs, carry-on baggage is strictly limited - at checkin, by the airlines. I have been on flights where all carry-ons had to have a carry-on tag.

In the US, Southwest chose to take a different path. Baggage fees have been rolled into ticket prices (the result, for me, is a higher ticket price). However, Southwest isn't grappling with gate check issues and Southwest isn't making the profoundly stupid mistake of asking TSA to get involved in something new.
As to fees for the over-sized gate-check, I've proposed a penalty. Frankly, it could be quite large so far as I'm concerned. It's both a labor cost to the carrier which should not be shouldered by pax who obey the law and there needs to be a deterrent.

We simply disagree on the TSA issue. All I'm suggesting is that the sizer on the mouth of the X-Ray be dispositive. If the bag doesn't fit, it can't go through. Pax choice what to do next. Presumably back to counter to check it.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:55 am

We simply disagree on the TSA issue. All I'm suggesting is that the sizer on the mouth of the X-Ray be dispositive. If the bag doesn't fit, it can't go through. Pax choice what to do next. Presumably back to counter to check it.
And what size, pray tell, should the sizer be?

Many checkpoints grant entry to a concourse which serves multiple airlines, each of which is entitled to its own standard on the maximum size of a carry-on. A single "one-size-fits-all" solution won't work.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
And you have special situations like musical instruments, strollers, car seats, medical equipment, crutches, etc.

Bruce
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:27 pm

Didn't one of the airlines put sizing templates over the xray machine entrance a few years ago? They were removed after a different airline complained because they allowed larger carry ons. Today, the complaining airline probably wouldn't complain because it would likely result in more checked bag fees.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
And what size, pray tell, should the sizer be?

Many checkpoints grant entry to a concourse which serves multiple airlines, each of which is entitled to its own standard on the maximum size of a carry-on. A single "one-size-fits-all" solution won't work.
Easily fixed. Time for FAA to go to uniform standards to avoid consumer confusion. Too many bags advertised as "carry-on compliant" which may or may not be.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bdschobel
And you have special situations like musical instruments, strollers, car seats, medical equipment, crutches, etc.

Bruce
So far as I've observed, those are items which get hand inspections already.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
You apparently weren't around when this was tried before. it caused long line backups as soft-side bags had to be "held" to put through the sizer. Heck, I saw TSA manage to get a box stuck in the current machines at IAD. It was a nightmare. IIRC, one airline that had larger limits sued the others to get the sizers removed.

You seem to think that more Government is always the answer. It's not. It's inappropriate & unnecessary. As Southwest and B6 have shown, larger bags are not a safety issue.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
Let's remember who made this statement, "Parker" from USAIRWAYS. Possibly the dimmest bulb in the bunch. What he is is looking for is free labor and someone else to blame. If US really wanted to do this they would put their people in place to handle the situation before it got to TSA's domain. But this would cost money, and Parker is against paying people (unless it is his overpriced friends). He caused the situation for his airline now he has to deal with it.
And thinking charging at the gate will solve things I would image that would only increase the delays.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Easily fixed. .
As soon as those pesky airlines can agree on ONE common aircraft type with all-the-same bin sizing, like WN. Like who needs CRJs and 787's anyway?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.