Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Use the lavs in your ticketed cabin"....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2011, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
"Use the lavs in your ticketed cabin"....

Two AA transcons (domestic) last week. On both, the crew announced that the TSA requires, for security reasons, that we only use the lavs in our ticketed cabin. First must use First, Main Cabin must use the lavs in the rear.

I thought that went away years ago - it seems to have started again.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
I think this was AA just trying to make sure people actually listened, since when they simply ask people to use only their own lavs they never do. The transcons seem to be the only flights on which they attempt to preserve the integrity of the premium cabins and I suppose the pilot/FA making the announcement figured that this was the best way to enforce the decision.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I have heard this numerous times on shorter domestic routes, such as EWR-FLL and ORD-DEN, as well as international flights. Heard it on AA and CO.

Last edited by joshwex90; Jul 28, 2011 at 12:14 am Reason: smart-type android typos
Old Jul 24, 2011, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
TSA requires
I heard the same on two UA transcons last week. I am somehow relieved they are not making up FAA rules, but how can they state that this is a TSA requirement?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I WISH that this announcement was made on my CUN-RDU flight yesterday.... or at least put the curtain down to give people the idea that "maybe" they shouldn't use the lav there if the one in back is available. I was in 1C and in a 2.5 hours there had to be at least 30 people coming up and using the lav beside me... I was actually bumped more than once by people waiting in line for it.

I really dislike the MD88's.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by okazon69
I heard the same on two UA transcons last week. I am somehow relieved they are not making up FAA rules, but how can they state that this is a TSA requirement?
It's not an FAA rule, but if it's in the carrier's security policy, then it's a violation of FAA rules if it's not being enforced. There are certain things mandated by FAA (flight deck doors, etc) and then each carrier must develop a security policy which is then filed with FAA.

DHS (TSA) only mandates the no cabin-crossing rule on intl flights into USA.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The TSA has no views on inflight lav use. This is just another case of flight attendants making up federal rules to enforce their own policies.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:11 pm

Part of the problem here is that each airline produces its own security procedure policies using TSA guidance and then has it approved by the TSA. Once it's approved, they're required to follow it. So it's both accurate to say that the TSA requires it (since they require the airline follow their policy) and that the airline requires it (because they were the ones who put it in the policy).
Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
This is just another case of flight attendants making up federal rules to enforce their own policies.

While pilots and FAs do not have the authority to make up federal laws on board, they DO have the authority to enforce laws AND company policies that relate to passenger behavior on board. In fact, they are obligated to do so as part of their duties as crewmembers.

We all know that there is no longer an FAA regulation to remain in the ticketed cabin, except for inbound international flights to the USA. But, once you are on board the aircraft, it is up to the discretion of the crew. Note that FAA regulations require passengers to follow crewmember instructions at all times. So, if the Captain or Purser or FA tells you to remain in your ticketed cabin, you are required to do so because it was a direct instruction from flight crew, EVEN IF that regulation no longer exists as a federal law.

Airlines are private companies and can make up whatever rules they wish about passenger behavior. The pilots or FAs apparently decided to institute a policy of no crossing between cabins on those flights--again, it's their call. FAA regulations require all passengers to comply with airline security/safety procedures, and all instructions from flight crew on board the aircraft. If you don't like that airline's rules or instructions, you can choose a different carrier, or not to fly at all.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:11 pm

It's interesting that this happened on American. They changed their policy last year stating that they would not restrict passengers on use of any lavatory on board, at least for domestic flights.

I believe that the "ticketed cabin" rule is a TSA mandate for international flights inbound to the United States on US-owned airlines.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ESpen36
We all know that there is no longer an FAA regulation to remain in the ticketed cabin, except for inbound international flights to the USA. But, once you are on board the aircraft, it is up to the discretion of the crew. Note that FAA regulations require passengers to follow crewmember instructions at all times. So, if the Captain or Purser or FA tells you to remain in your ticketed cabin, you are required to do so because it was a direct instruction from flight crew, EVEN IF that regulation no longer exists as a federal law.
By that logic an FA could announce it's an FAA/TSA/etc. regulation that you have to sing the Notre Dame flight song on approach or trade socks with your seatmate... whatever they dream up.

When FAs do this it is typically to make their whims sound more authoritative than they have a right to sound.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:44 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last I checked, and it was a while ago, the TSA (or FAA) forbids movement between cabins on international flights into the United States, but not on any other flights.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Note that FAA regulations require passengers to follow crewmember instructions at all times.
Only the ones that relate to seatbelts and smoking (FAR 121.571). Were it the case that all crewmembers instructions had to be followed, part of (a)(1)(i) and (iii) don't make any sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.