Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

"You'll have to lift your pants leg so I can see your leg..."

Old Jul 24, 11, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR

"... or take your pants off..."

So said the LAX TSA screener on Thursday.

I opted out, and pointed out that I had a sore on one of my legs. Screener patted me down, went gently over the area with the sore, and ran the EDT. There was nothing detected.

As I was getting ready to pick up my stuff, he asked me if my sore was "properly bandaged and covered" as if he were not going to let me pass if it weren't (none of his business, really). I asked why, and he uttered the statement above and offered me private screening. My response was, essentially, YGTBSM, and he stated that since I said I had a sore on my leg I had to show him that's what it really was....

Dumb and dumber. And outright wrong.
Old Jul 24, 11, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
Hindsight being 20/20, one trenchant response would have been, "From what medical school did you graduate? How much is your co-pay?"
Old Jul 24, 11, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Another case of TSA practicing medicine without a license. Ridiculous.
Old Jul 24, 11, 7:23 pm
Suspended

So what happened?
Old Jul 24, 11, 7:31 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer View Post

I opted out, and pointed out that I had a sore on one of my legs. Screener patted me down, went gently over the area with the sore, and ran the EDT. There was nothing detected.

As I was getting ready to pick up my stuff, he asked me if my sore was "properly bandaged and covered" as if he were not going to let me pass if it weren't (none of his business, really). I asked why, and he uttered the statement above and offered me private screening. My response was, essentially, YGTBSM, and he stated that since I said I had a sore on my leg I had to show him that's what it really was....

And if it WAS "properly bandaged and covered" you could have been hiding something (5 lbs of C4, maybe ) under the bandage. Sheesh!
Old Jul 24, 11, 7:36 pm

Please, please tell me you did not let the blue gloves anywhere near your open wound. (Insert obligatory "You have no idea where those gloves have been" here.)
Old Jul 24, 11, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Did you comply?
Old Jul 24, 11, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow View Post
Please, please tell me you did not let the blue gloves anywhere near your open wound. (Insert obligatory "You have no idea where those gloves have been" here.)
pretty much considering LAX is where i picked up a dermal infection (MRSA, VRE, E coli are 3 of 18 items that came up on the skin swab and culture) on my hands from which required 20K worth of antibiotics and 6 months to treat and resulted in the loss of finger prints on 3 fingers.

Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775 View Post
Hindsight being 20/20, one trenchant response would have been, "From what medical school did you graduate? How much is your co-pay?"
pretty much
Old Jul 24, 11, 11:16 pm

leg inspectors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi5oJ5oAHPY
Old Jul 25, 11, 1:21 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by RadioGirl View Post
And if it WAS "properly bandaged and covered" you could have been hiding something (5 lbs of C4, maybe ) under the bandage. Sheesh!
And if it was properly bandaged then what? It would certainly be detrimental to the OP's health to remove it for inspection.
Old Jul 25, 11, 2:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, MR Plat, Hertz PC, TR Diam
Evidence continues to pile up against the TSA wasteland that is LAX
Old Jul 25, 11, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
So what happened? I pulled my pant leg up, got as far as showing a bit of skin, he saw the end of thee bandage & told me to go.

The whole thing was useless theater and a power trip. There were no supervisors at the Priority checkpoint (this is the new T4 section of checkpoint), they were all out at the main checkpoint. Given my past experiences with TSA management at LAX, and the need to catch a flight (no, I was not running early), I chose to proceed. I've already got calls in to the offices of my elected officials this morning.

Also dumped commercial flight for the third time this month. I had to make a trip to the midwest this weekend - I chose to fly my own plane rather than deal with the idiots at TSA on a commercial flight. Cost the airlines another $500 or so for a last-minute ticket. Oh, well....
Old Jul 25, 11, 8:36 am

Programs: United
So what happened? I pulled my pant leg up, got as far as showing a bit of skin, he saw the end of thee bandage & told me to go.

The whole thing was useless theater and a power trip. There were no supervisors at the Priority checkpoint (this is the new T4 section of checkpoint), they were all out at the main checkpoint. Given my past experiences with TSA management at LAX, and the need to catch a flight (no, I was not running early), I chose to proceed. I've already got calls in to the offices of my elected officials this morning.

Also dumped commercial flight for the third time this month. I had to make a trip to the midwest this weekend - I chose to fly my own plane rather than deal with the idiots at TSA on a commercial flight. Cost the airlines another $500 or so for a last-minute ticket. Oh, well....
Personally if given that choice I would have dropped my pants right there. But I understand that not everyone would agree with that plan.
Old Jul 25, 11, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Combat Medic View Post
Personally if given that choice I would have dropped my pants right there. But I understand that not everyone would agree with that plan.
Dealing with the LA airport cops may be worse than dealing with the TSA....
Old Jul 25, 11, 9:44 am

Programs: United
Dealing with the LA airport cops may be worse than dealing with the TSA....
You were following the orders of a federal agent.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: