Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

How many TSO's, LTSO'S, STSO'S, Leo's, BDO's etc. are on this forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many TSO's, LTSO'S, STSO'S, Leo's, BDO's etc. are on this forum?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by TSORon
Originally Posted by N965VJ
9. Kill LASP dead in its tracks. There is no reason whatsoever the TSA should encroach on General Aviation. This is nothing more than a back channel way for the airlines and the Air Transport Association to make GA less of a viable alternative.
Opinions vary on this. I don’t know enough about it to really comment, and I get the feeling that neither do you.
LASP is an ill-advised plan to bring Part 121 (commercial aviation) style security to General Aviation (GA) that was announced in a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking two years ago. The proposal failed to recognize the inherent differences between GA and airline operations. Organizations like the National Business Aircraft Association, Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, Experimental Aircraft Association, etc. all rallied against the proposal. There is a misconception that GA is comprised of nothing more than “corporate fat cats” cruising around in Gulfstreams. In reality, business aircraft are utilized by well over 10,000 small and medium-sized companies flying into 5,000 public use airports around the country.

After seeing a “Geraldo” style TV newz report about how GA airports called “"Is Houston a Sitting Duck for Terrorism?” Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee asked the DHS Office of Inspector General to investigate. The OIG concluded that GA was a “limited and mostly hypothetical tool for terrorists”, and stated in a challenge to the TV report "Houston Is Not a Sitting Duck for Terrorism.” Rep. Jackson Lee was not happy with the findings of the OIG, and called them “disrespectful”. Rep. Jackson Lee is the same person that asked a NASA scientist if the Mars Pathfinder took a picture of the flag that Neil Armstrong left behind.

If you want to get an idea of the encroachment of freedom and civil liberties LASP represents, take a look at what the EAA has to say:

Personal Liberties — For the first time, the TSA’s regulatory activities would be extended to personal GA aircraft, historic and vintage aircraft, and operators, passengers, and pilots flying for personal and business use. As such, the LASP is a radical departure from anything the TSA has enacted to date. It would, in effect, require governmental review and authority before you could operate your own personal vehicle.

And it would require separate review and authority for every single flight that included passengers. Nothing like the LASP has been imposed on cars, trucks, boats, or any other privately owned, privately operated vehicles. The TSA’s proposal raises serious constitutional questions about personal liberty, privacy, and freedom of movement.

The LASP could also have a significant and chilling effect on interstate and intrastate commerce. It would place new and significant costs and restrictions on the freedom of individuals and companies to move people and goods around the country by personal, company-owned, or chartered aircraft.

(the bolding is in the original document)

You know, besides being a vital business tool, General Aviation is also a lot of fun as a recreational activity. Flying off somewhere for a “$100 hamburger”, helping a friend do an Annual on their Cessna, or even just hanging out at the airport on a weekend is a way of life. There’s no way we’re going to just stand by while the TSA sets up shop at our airports they way they have with commercial aviation.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
1. I am perplexed as to how you became the arbiter in determining if people have the background or experience to make these decisions. What special background, experience and training do you have that seats you as the judge of who has the credentials to make those decisions? In any event, I doubt you have the full dossier of each person on this board to make a determination as I can guarantee you that every single person who posts on this forum has not disclosed everything about themselves.
I've challenged TSORon about this several times, and he told me to stop pointing out my education as if it qualified me to say anything, let alone my profession and clearances.

2. Your statement deriding those that would "place fellow citizens at significant risk in exchange for their own personal versions of rights, convenience and personal dignity" is directly at odds with the founding mechanics of this country. Fifty-six men in Philadelphia placed fellow citizens at significant risk in exchange for their own personal versions of rights, conveniences and personal dignity yet I never hear a word from those who are more than willing to give up their rights to feel safe talk about how terrible those 56 men were for doing such a thing.
Also, that was a case where there was direct and significant risk. In this case, there is a vague, indirect threat from people thousands of miles away who lack the means that the British army in 1776 had.

TSORon is asking us to stipulate to there being significant risk. I would like to see him prove it. He can't, because it doesn't exist.

He's created a false dichotomy and a straw man so that he can more easily defeat us by claiming that we want thousands of dead Americans. It's disgusting.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: Co Gold
I see no mileage in trying to argue with TSORon and his ilk

Just point them in the direction of this thread where the TSA admit they are rubbish and watch the fun as they try to twist the logic of those TSA people not being the real experts
Old Oct 21, 2010, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Cholula
You're right about that, at least in the early days of this forum. I remember going in and deleting all posts for some panic-stricken TSA'ers who said they didn't realize they would be fired for posting here.

Maybe I'm imagining it but there doesn’t seem to be as many barriers for TSA folks to post on IBB's any longer.

But I wouldn't wade in here and post if I were a TSO. Why deal with the anger and hostility?

And, hey, as a very frequent flier myself, I'm as angry and hostile toward the TSA as anybody else on this board. But I can also make the distinction between the big, bad TSA/DHS bureaucracy and FT'ers who are also TSO's and who want to contribute here.
I don't work for TSA but I do work for CBP. I thank you for your viewpoint. It is much more on point then many here realize. I wish some of your fellow colleagues and moderators could see this.

FB
Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Actually, in part the members of FT are to blame for this one. You folks have been screaming for more than a year that I personally am aware of about the possibilities of some unscreened airport workforce member being able to hand off dangerous prohibited items to passengers post-checkpoint, this technique address’ that minor flaw in the system. You asked for it, and now that you have it you don’t like it? Ever hear the term “Be careful what you ask for”?
How about screening the airport workforce then this would be unnecessary?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:43 pm

Sorry, this has nothing to do with enhancing the security of the flying public.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with enhancing the security of the flying public.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with enhancing the security of the flying public. You don’t like it, I get it, life’s a rock.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with enhancing the security of the flying public. If it makes them feel better about themselves then let ‘em do it.
Full body cavity searches would "enhance" the security of the flying public.

What would actually enhance security is to look just for credible threats. If you narrow the universe of what you are searching for, you are more likely to not miss the critical items. That has been proven time and time again. Stop the ID checks; stop looking for small knives; stop looking for liquids.

Also, I have seen these “private contractors”. You have absolutely no idea what you are asking for. The “organized rings of theft and general thuggery” would expand exponentially.
There is no factual basis to support this.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 1:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by essxjay
I disagree. I think the Flyertalk community is a powerful voice in the travel industry and the TS/S subforum is an ideal place for public discussion but only if we commit to a higher level of discourse for the long haul.
Addendum: Apropos to no particular post or thread, I want to go on record about how heartened I am by the surge of creative response to the latest TSA screening protocols and constructive activism displayed in this forum the past few weeks. Keep it up guys! ^
Old Oct 28, 2010, 4:28 pm

Addendum: Apropos to no particular post or thread, I want to go on record about how heartened I am by the surge of creative response to the latest TSA screening protocols and constructive activism displayed in this forum the past few weeks. Keep it up guys! ^
I'm quite curious, what are these "latest TSA screening protocols" you discuss? I have seen numerous guess's as to what they “might” be, but nothing really all that concrete. Care to let us in on your version?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:29 pm

Programs: OnePass
I'm quite curious, what are these "latest TSA screening protocols" you discuss? I have seen numerous guess's as to what they “might” be, but nothing really all that concrete. Care to let us in on your version?
Why don't you tell us, since you're obviously in the know and taking way too much glee in holding it over our heads.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 4:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
I'm quite curious, what are these "latest TSA screening protocols" you discuss?
http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/102810_patdown.shtm
"TSA is in the process of implementing new pat-down procedures at checkpoints nationwide as one of our many layers of security to keep the traveling public safe."
Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:50 pm

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/102810_patdown.shtm
"TSA is in the process of implementing new pat-down procedures at checkpoints nationwide as one of our many layers of security to keep the traveling public safe."
Pretty short on detail isn’t it. Yet the folks here are making all kinds of guess’s or outright “I know all about it” kinds of statements. Don’t you find that interesting, and of course entertaining?

Originally Posted by mikemey
Why don't you tell us, since you're obviously in the know and taking way too much glee in holding it over our heads.
I'm not holding anything over your head sir, in fact the one word I have had to say on the subject is "Nope". No glee, no holding, pretty much a non-response. Could you be confusing me with someone else?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.