Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Call to arms.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:59 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
Sorry for a dumb question here, but why don't they just get rid of the offensive Nude-o-scope™ and use bomb-sniffing dogs? Have I missed something here?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by honeytoes
Sorry for a dumb question here, but why don't they just get rid of the offensive Nude-o-scope™ and use bomb-sniffing dogs? Have I missed something here?

Dogs are the best! There are those sniffer wands also.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TSORon

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Are you looking forward to personally handling used tampons, panty liners, colostomy bags or the like, or are you just in this for the the in-person- and/or video-monitoring of removals of those items? That is what will come with increased use of strip search machines.
I get to handel all that already, so there is not going to be a difference in my duties on their account.
You handle used tampons, panty liners and colostomy bags? No you don't, Ronnie.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:46 am

Oh get over it. Nothing detects explosives. All the technology does is detect elements that are commonly used in explosives, not the explosives themselves. ETD, ETP, WBI, MMW, none of it works without human assistance and intervention.

ETP and ETD only say that yes these elements are present. The actual detection of the explosives is done by the screeners.

WBI and MMW only give a picture of hidden items. Its screeners who decide if those items are hazardous or prohibited.

They all do exactly what they are designed to do, and they do it well. It’s the screeners who actually do the work of determining what is questionable, prohibited, or hazardous.
Even if I accepted your premise that images and chemical detection are equally dependent on human intervention to be effective, why would your organization prefer the methods that are disgusting and morally unacceptable for many of us, versus the methods that are not objectionable?

Have you seen the terrorist“s underwear? Unless WBI has the resolution necessary to, say, show the contours of you pubic hairs, there is no way it could have differentiated between underwear bomb and a maxipad, adult diaper, or any number of intimate necessities you do not need to know about. How do you expect to "resolve" such situations when using the WBI? Physical inspection of pads used by menstruating women? I can tell you ahead of time that will backfire very quickly.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Go ahead and yell

I know this will run against the grain of this thread and this forum, but if TSA wants to assign someone to view my 62-year-old penis, I really don't care. Why are some folks so concerned if some anonymous stranger sees their body? Have they never been to a hospital? Never been to a high school or YMCA locker room?
I would rather quickly walk through a machine than submit to the pat-down. I just don't think the "aversion to nudity" phobia evidenced in this Forum is as widespread as one might think if one lives here only.
I do not deny that the involuntary aspects of the machines are objectionable, but why do so many seem to object?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by GUWonder
What the "security" perverts in love with strip searching toddlers and great-grandmothers fail to acknowledge is that strip searches -- physical or electronic -- do not detect explosives. Bomb-sniffing dogs, ETP and ETDs do detect explosives.
I believe dogs would do a better job of managing the TSA as well.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:58 am

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
For those of us with impanted metal body parts the WBI is a terrific improvement over the penalty box and pat searches where you must interact with screeners who either don't give a ()&(& or those who use the opportunity to act like the gestapo.

Flying out of Denver I never miss the opportunity to use the WBI lane, just so I can keep screener's funky hands off my body. I wish every airport had them. I just came back from HNL and then LGA last week and hated every minute of it at their security checkpoints.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:05 am

I don“t think anyone here is against the use of WBIs as secondary screening devices, as an option instead of a pat down. We object to its use as a primary screening mechanism, and without clear explanations to the public regarding what it does and the option of a pat down.

I don“t have a penis, but I still generally have nothing against nudity, when and where appropriate. I do however stand against the principal that we must all be seen naked to fly. I also have a serious problem with the fact that I can“t see the person doing the screening, nor the image generated.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
I also have a serious problem with the fact that I can“t see the person doing the screening, nor the image generated.
And I get the impression that if this one thing were changed about WBI procedures, about half of the opposition to WBI would dissipate. Secrecy breeds suspicion.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ORDflyer
I do not deny that the involuntary aspects of the machines are objectionable, but why do so many seem to object?
Reasons why so many people object:

1. The TSA is operating this technology and people just do not trust the TSA.

When one goes to a hospital and submits oneself to x-rays, being seen naked, whatever, it is done only after a thorough explanation of the procedure and giving written consent.

With WBI, we do not have the ability to determine if the person viewing the scan might be getting off on seeing our naked bodies (and the naked bodies of young children). In a hospital setting one gets to meet and interact with the person doing the examination and one has the opportunity to refuse a procedure if one becomes uncomfortable with the individual.

2. As many of the experts are saying, WBI might have caught this guy, not WBI would have caught him. To be subjected to a virtual strip search because a machine might catch something is demeaning and useless.

3. The risk is so minimal of a plane being blown out of the sky, that it is totally unreasonable to demand all passengers submit to be virtually strip searched or given a very invasive pat down in order to fly.

As much as I don't like the guy, I heard Peter King say this a.m. that we have to stop giving as much security screening to Scandinavian grandmothers as others might warrant.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ORDflyer
If a TSA pervert wants to get off looking at my nude image (highly unlikely, given my shape, but you never know), I couldn't care less.

The single objection I have to the device is that it creates an electronic image that can be saved. You can tell me all day long about all of the procedures that TSA has implemented to prevent the storing and misuse of these images, and I won't believe you, because any system of safeguards can be overcome, and any computer can be hacked.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by honeytoes
Because there are things dogs cannot detect, they cant work 24x7, they are only as good as their training, and they have a fairly high miss rate.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Because there are things dogs cannot detect, they cant work 24x7, they are only as good as their training, and they have a fairly high miss rate.
But they detect explosives that strip searching machines do not.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:46 am

Serious question here: what is the miss rate for a highly trained dog versus the miss rate for a highly trained WBI operator? Is there any hard data available?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Serious question here: what is the miss rate for a highly trained dog versus the miss rate for a highly trained WBI operator? Is there any hard data available?
When I was in the military dogs were certified at 70% or higher.

The dog and the handler work as a team, the dog can do absolutely everything correct per its training and the handler can still miss it. But if the dog misses the item then there is no way that the handler can tell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.