FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Call to arms.
Thread: Call to arms.
View Single Post
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:31 am
doober
Suspended

Originally Posted by ORDflyer
I do not deny that the involuntary aspects of the machines are objectionable, but why do so many seem to object?
Reasons why so many people object:

1. The TSA is operating this technology and people just do not trust the TSA.

When one goes to a hospital and submits oneself to x-rays, being seen naked, whatever, it is done only after a thorough explanation of the procedure and giving written consent.

With WBI, we do not have the ability to determine if the person viewing the scan might be getting off on seeing our naked bodies (and the naked bodies of young children). In a hospital setting one gets to meet and interact with the person doing the examination and one has the opportunity to refuse a procedure if one becomes uncomfortable with the individual.

2. As many of the experts are saying, WBI might have caught this guy, not WBI would have caught him. To be subjected to a virtual strip search because a machine might catch something is demeaning and useless.

3. The risk is so minimal of a plane being blown out of the sky, that it is totally unreasonable to demand all passengers submit to be virtually strip searched or given a very invasive pat down in order to fly.

As much as I don't like the guy, I heard Peter King say this a.m. that we have to stop giving as much security screening to Scandinavian grandmothers as others might warrant.