Copy of Passport Required?

Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Copy of Passport Required?

I purchased a SIM for Italy from Telestial for my GSM phone.

When the package arrived, it included a sheet of instructions which stated that the "issuer" of the SIM (an Italian company called TIM) requires that I send an image of my passport to Telestial for Telestial to activate the SIM.

It appears my choice is either to provide the image or to not have the SIM activated.

Having to provide an electronic copy of my passport sounds awfully fishy to me. I'm not particulary comfortable with doing so.

Can anyone comment on the appropriateness (the legality?) of and the reason for requiring an image of one's passport?
Old Aug 30, 2005, 7:53 pm
RCC

Euros phone system is VERY advanced, you know the service providers can PIN POINT your exact location etc.

they just want to know who is renting etc. very common to ask for passport etc.

Its all for security reasons.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
To RCC--

A point of clarification: I own the phone (am not renting it). I purchased a SIM card to insert in the phone. They want a copy of my passport to ACTIVATE the card.

I suppose one could consider that I am "renting" the phone company's bandwidth, but I think of it as purchasing a service; there is nothing tangible that I return to the company.

I read what you say about security, and at one level understand why in these days of post 9/11 paranoia they may want the ability to trace back to an "owner" any call that is made on their system. But I still think it is overly intrusive for them to require a copy of my passport in order for me to buy an intangible service.

But thanks for taking the time to reply.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.