Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Explosion on Daallo flight Mogadishu to Djibouti Feb 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Aircraft successfully returned to Mogadishu.

Details here:

http://avherald.com/h?article=4934dec0

I suspect the outcome would have been far worse if the same event happened at higher altitude with more of a pressure differential between the interior and exterior of the cabin.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:58 am

I guess this news will develop a bit more when the west wake up today... but I just saw a video with some footage inside the plane before and after landing!!!
https://gma.yahoo.com/video/explosio...233156927.html

Scary
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
So crazy!!

Captain's comments:

"It was my first bomb; I hope it will be the last," the pilot said. He said the blast happened when the plane was at around 11,000 feet (3,350 metres). (LINK)
I assume it could've been far worse had they been at a higher altitude?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by rwoman

I assume it could've been far worse had they been at a higher altitude?
Per some discussion at AH, that would likely be the case because of more of a difference between cabin and exterior air pressures at cruising altitudes.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 9:45 pm

I am a bit surprised this news havent got the attention or comments from other members, like in the incidents last year... yes this route has probably less FT's traveling still this could have been worst at different altitude as you guys mentioned, and AH Discussion.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by LoungeBum
I am a bit surprised this news havent got the attention or comments from other members
Lack of comments doesn't equate to lack of attention. Some of us are paying very close attention to the situation.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
It's a pretty scary event. I'm glad there was minimal lss of life. Was the explosive in the passenger cabin?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance
It would seem at least one of those sucked out of the plane was the bomber themselves, taking that holy war a bit too literally if true.
http://gawker.com/report-man-ejected...sui-1757112253

“bypass rigorous security screening in Mogadishu”
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LoungeBum
I am a bit surprised this news havent got the attention or comments from other members, like in the incidents last year... yes this route has probably less FT's traveling still this could have been worst at different altitude as you guys mentioned, and AH Discussion.
Perhaps most of us assume that they'll cover the hole with speed tape, repaint the plane in Alligiant Air livery, carry on, and count on no one noticing anything out of the ordinary.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Epod
Perhaps most of us assume that they'll cover the hole with speed tape, repaint the plane in Alligiant Air livery, carry on, and count on no one noticing anything out of the ordinary.

Nah, Allegiant probably went on a recent buying spree when a few of the Iranian airlines needed to free up some hard currency for the big post-embargo Airbus purchase in the works.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:10 pm

I read somewhere... (I cannot find it anymore) that the person who bypass security was a western, but not 100% sure, In other news they said only one person is missing according to the passenger list, but I cannot see the passenger list anywhere...

Perhaps they are following that link to another terrorists in the region. has anyone seen the passenger list and the Identified terrorist who carried out this attack?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:15 pm

Latest from CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/05/africa...ane-explosion/

The man sucked out of a Somali airliner after an inflight explosion has been identified as Abdullahi Abdisalam Borleh, an elderly Somali national, Somalia officials said Friday.
The source added that investigators believe the attack was orchestrated by the al Qaeda affiliate Al Shabaab, although they are not certain that Borleh was a direct member of the group. No group immediately took responsibility for the act.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.