Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

RJ connection in AMM <24 hours, free transit visa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RJ connection in AMM <24 hours, free transit visa?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
Depends if you are city or down by the beach type.

From the airport you could head down to the Dead Sea, go up to the vantage point on the top of the mountain and take some food and drink up there. Head down to a hotel on the beach and hit the beach.

For the city: Go downtown, and check on the Roman ruins, the umbrella staircase, the markets. Or head to the Citadel. Take falafel at Hashem Restaurant downtown. Falafel, baba ghanoush, hummous, foul, bread and chi should be 4JOD or so.

Taxis got a lot better at AMM recently. Go straight to their little hut and they'll give you a receipt for the fixed price so the driver can't screw you. Should be 20JOD-30JOD downtown.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Great ideas. Thanks..what's the umbrella staircase? And I love the felafel suggestion. Can't wait.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:43 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Great ideas. Thanks..what's the umbrella staircase? And I love the felafel suggestion. Can't wait.
Hi! Amman is one my favourite cities in the region, it's a very welcoming place, and so much tasty food!

The umbrella staircase is an art installation of King Faisal St in downtown. You can't miss it. It's really rather beautiful when the sun catches it. I wrote a trip report about my last trip to Amman, but I'm struggling to sort out the photos to upload to it, so I can't upload a picture here sadly.

Very easy to see.

You should also check out Rainbow Street a short distance away. All cabbers will know it. 2 or 3 JOD at most.

Loads of places to eat Jordanian sweets, ranging from baklava to pastries to all manner of other things.

The felefal is great at Hashem!
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:27 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
Don't miss Habibe Kanafe. They sell it frozen to take home with you if you want.
Arafat across the street is not bad either, they have a specialty one that is coverred with pistachios.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by westmideast
Don't miss Habibe Kanafe. They sell it frozen to take home with you if you want.
Arafat across the street is not bad either, they have a specialty one that is coverred with pistachios.
Yeah,I agree. I always take some for our friends and family abroad. 1KG of knafe in Habiba costs 5.50JD/KG. It's frozen and is packed in multiple layers. They say it can be out of freezer for up to 12 hours,but I always take it to HKG (14 hours flight)+3 pre/post flight and nothing bad happened,you just microwave it for 3-5 min.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Has anyone to date tried to obtain a transit visa for 24 hours or less? If you have could you share the outcome i.e. was it free? if not, how much was it and for how long was duration of the visa given?

Thanks
Old Jul 1, 2022, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC, AA Exec Plat
Visa for <24 hours - recent experience?

Hi, wondering if anyone has recent experience with this? I found a few older posts - some say transit visa only to stay local/airport hotel and others than you can go freely into town.

I will arrive AMM with RJ around 5pm and leave with QR next morning. Same ticket. I would like to get the free transit visa, then taxi downtown for the evening? Is this possible (and easy to do) or would I need to get a full 40JOD entry visa?
Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:49 am

Hi. I just found this forum doing a few Google Searches. Going on a family trip using rj through AMM in Dec. We will have a 9 hour in transit layover in AMM. Is the Transit visa/Hotel worth it compared to the lounge access. We do have young kids with our family traveling. Any other suggestions for AMM? Any help would greatly be appreciated. I can also write a review here based on our trip and what we decided to do. Thanks.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: aa,ac,hh
34 Hour Transit

I have a somewhat different situation, a 34 hour transit. I was able to get a very good Business Class fare from YUL-BKK on RJ and discovered that my layover is 34 hours. Officially the limit is 24 hours.
I am wiling to accept a single hotel overnight (the flight leaves just after midnight) so the extra cost to RJ should be minimal. I sent an email to RJ last week asking for an exemption but no reply.
My predicament is if I take a chance and am refused at the transit desk, I am facing trying to find a hotel at very short notice. Has anyone been in the situation of a longer than 24 hour transit?

Second question. The RJ and Jordanian websites say that a transit visa is not required over 48 hours. Has anyone tested this?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by cimeron
Hi. I just found this forum doing a few Google Searches. Going on a family trip using rj through AMM in Dec. We will have a 9 hour in transit layover in AMM. Is the Transit visa/Hotel worth it compared to the lounge access. We do have young kids with our family traveling. Any other suggestions for AMM? Any help would greatly be appreciated. I can also write a review here based on our trip and what we decided to do. Thanks.
I dont know if they are still doing this, but pre covid there was a program called Zuwar stopovers which was great. We had 5 persons, a driver and van and did a city tour of Amman, went to Madaba and Mt Nebo and had a nice lunch and then back to the airport. Everything was arranged through Zuwar and they met us at immigration and delivered us back to the airport. We had 2 vegetarians in the group and it was no issue on food either. There are a variety of programs depending on the amount of time you have starting at 4 hours through 12 hours. They were great to work with you - you sent passport information and paid in advance.. I was a little worried, but my parents were also supposed to do this a couple of days later, and their inbound flight was delayed and they could not do the program and all monies were refunded quickly. You can look on the RJ site or google Zuwar. The city tour includes the open air archaelogical museum in Amman, which even in December and with kids might be good. If you have not been to Jerash, it is an amazing Roman ruin as well. The airport in Amman is small easy to get around, lounge is nice, but you dont need a lot of time to get through formalities at the airport so the stopover was really a great way to spend the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.