Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kimpton stealth devaluations?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RogerMurdock
One of the ten Inner Circle benefits is the "Year end bonus reward tailored to you." Anyone receive that for 2013 or was that stealthily eliminated as well?
Nothing, after about 30 stays in 2013.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
I've only been IC since earlier this year and have had several stays.

1) Only received my welcome beverage once. Everywhere else it has been water.

2) Snack wise, only one hotel didn't deliver on my preferences. Instead it was 6 small chocolates only, but I did apprecaite the very nice note left for my mom's birthday. I have to say the Palomar Philadelphia's home baked cookies blew the Monaco Chicago's 'Grandma's' brand cookies valued at $1.78. <- Even when placed on a plate, that's really 'phoning' it in, while still managing to satisfy my profile.

3) Upgrades. Few. I had a nice river view at the Chicago Monaco, but that's about it. No suites yet, though maybe the demand was always great? I have two Philadelphia stays in the next 11 days, so I hope we at least get one nice upgrade.

4) I feel Kimpton HQ does seem to listen and care, contrary to how some posters feel through their experiences. They responded back to this thread fast for example. Sure we haven't received 100% of what we want to hear, but they are listening. Though as pointed out in the other thread linked here, the minibar or other extra charges are a hassle and always take 3-4 emails to rectify...even if it is over $5.50!

I'm still happy with Kimpton, but many times Kimpton rooms are a good $100-$150 more than the competition (Especially in Philadelphia & NYC), so we flyertalkers do expect to see value in that additional spend!
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
On the availability front, I was able to book one of my reward nights yesterday. SF was only showing availability at two of their hotels, but at least that was something. So on this latest round of free nights, it only took a dozen tries to find something that worked.

The new Goodland hotel in Goleta hasn't opened availability for booking rewards nights; I understand that they don't do that until the hotel actually opens. So, if you want to book shortly after opening, that's tough.

On the amenity front, I there is a wide disparity between what hotels offer, and since I haven't returned to any of the hotels I stayed at 'pre-devaluation'/wording change, I don't have a true apples-to-apples comparison. That said, based on what I have experienced, and what I have heard, my sense of a devaluation is not unique.

Hotel Marlowe did a really bang-up job with the amenity--everything was ready on arrival to my preferences and they provided a night cap with turndown service. A fantastic stay, overall. Donovan House was probably one of the weaker offerings--a bottle of cheap wine and fruit plate, despite that being exactly what I do not want. I see no point in getting wine with the welcome amenity, since it's usually the same as the wine hour offerings and arrives at the same time. At Surfcomber, I've stayed a few times and the snacks are always on-point, but I did not receive drinks with the last stay. Wilshire, Eventi, Burnham, and Palomar Phoenix all deserve high praise on amenities, as well.

It's unclear to me whether there is a regional trend with amenity stinginess. My guess is that

In terms of upgrades, I am about 75% able to snag a suite. No complaints there.

I agree that Kimpton does a good job of being active on social media and FT. My big beef is that they are far more reactive than proactive--there seems to never be any advance notice of program changes (if there are changes), and the T&Cs are not helpful in a practical sense.

In terms of the year-end gift, I had never heard of that before. I certainly didn't receive one at the end of 2013.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by woodyDCA

In terms of upgrades, I am about 75% able to snag a suite. No complaints there.
Wow! 0% here. Let's see about this Saturday and next Friday in Philadelphia...
Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Here are the bottom lines for me (In addition to Kimpton IC, I'm Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, and Marriott Silver):

1. Kimpton reward nights are not searchable online. That is inconvenient, especially with limited phone center hours. This is certainly lagging in technology compared to the competition.
2. The reward nights do not offer last room availability. Others have pointed this out already. I've benefited from the last room availability with Hyatt, Marriott, and Carlson myself. Also lagging compared to competition.

Those two factors have led me to booking Marriott and Hyatt stays, either reward or revenue, on nights when Kimpton had revenue rooms, but not reward availability. It is what it is.

The Kimpton system was great with few elites and a limited fan base. They are now more popular because of good press (well deserved, frankly), status matches, and a better economy. Perhaps the reward night system is overloaded. Will they change it? I hope they do. If they don't, I'll just spend more nights at Hyatt.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:12 am

One of the ten Inner Circle benefits is the "Year end bonus reward tailored to you." Anyone receive that for 2013 or was that stealthily eliminated as well?
For 2011 - Didn't get anything
For 2012 - Got an email (I think) offering several options (free stay, dining credit, credit for merch, etc). I selected a dining credit, but never received it.
For 2013 - nada
Old Jun 11, 2014, 2:38 pm
Company Representative - Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants

Programs: Kimpton Karma Rewards
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for this feedback. Truly. Just want you to know that, not only am I still following this thread, but I’ve forwarded your comments to our Execs so they know what our best members are saying on Flyertalk.

Now I need your help. We very much want to fix these inconsistencies you’ve been experiencing but we can’t address the amenity issues if we don’t have details.

I’ll be posting a dedicated Home Office email address so you can contact us directly in the future but, for now, it’s important that you private message me the names of the hotels where you’ve had bad amenity experiences so that we can look into them.

Please know that we take this very seriously and want to make sure that you get full value out of the program, as well as the VIP treatment you deserve when you’re with us. Thank you all for taking the time to help.

Susan
Old Jun 11, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Costco Executive Member, Safeway Club Card
I sincerely appreciate having KimptonInTouch active on FT. Thank you Susan.

Investigating the welcome amenity issue is a fantastic start but I still hope we hear from you regarding the other valid concerns raised on this thread.

So as to not detract/hijack, I've started a separate thread to collect data for you on the welcome amenity experiences. Private messages don't really help members make decisions on where to stay and I'd like to modify your request by also including positive experiences so that we can reward those locations. My guess is that the data will reveal a few bad apples but kudos at most spots.

No one should have to play a game of Sophie's Choice between eating the vending machine chocolate chip cookie or the loaner pet goldfish.

I'm trying to transition from longtime lurker to contributor one post at a time...
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Kimpton also advertises free nights in new hotels for Inner Circle members. The Brice and the Angler's have opened this year and yet there is still no way to redeem this benefit there. So are we really surprised that Kimpton dropped the ball on a published benefit?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by KimptonInTouch
Sorry to hear that you feel that way. We have not devalued our elite benefits. Reward availability has never been based on last room availability. A reward night still requires only one reward certificate regardless of where in the country you redeem (as opposed to more complicated redemption schemas with other programs), and if the limited inventory frustrates you, we understand and respect your opinion. Booking further ahead will definitely ensure more availability. We appreciate the feedback, and should you choose to stay elsewhere, we are sorry to see you go, but we understand and wish you the very best.
I read this official statement from Kimpton as: we heard you, but we don't care since we are getting plenty of business right now. If you don't like it, feel free to leave.

Last year I spoke proudly of my IC status. This year? Well, we have Susan's statement above to remember.

Last edited by italdesign; Jun 17, 2014 at 10:57 am
Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:58 pm
Company Representative - Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants

Programs: Kimpton Karma Rewards
Flyertalkers,

We'll never get so much business that we stop caring deeply about our loyal members. Guest care is embedded in our Kimpton DNA. I hope that that care is demonstrated not only on this board but in every hotel experience. We have set policies that we have to adhere to like any company, but we think we are pretty generous with perks overall.

I sat here for a while reading these comments, and thought about what to write, and finally concluded that all I can do is express our genuine and heartfelt care, but I can't apologize about our policies. We are doing everything we can to address the inconsistencies you have brought to our attention here and in private messages. Your feedback (thank you!) has been escalated to our top leaders, who are actively investigating and addressing. These comments are not falling in a corporate black hole but rather on the desks of people who very much care.

Susan
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
My DD (flyertalker in training) got this e-mail and immediately put Kimpton on her speed dial to get Inner Circle status via a status match due to her concerns about devaluation. I guess she is finally listening to her old mom
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Kimpton Inner Circle, Marriott Gold
Wow. I registered (after lurking for some time) just to respond to this thread. I just completed a stay at the MUSE in NY on 6/21/14 using a free night. I'd actually reserved three nights in a row, but canceled the other two because I had a business meeting so my employer paid. I believe I booked it in April (when I used another free night). I will say that when I called to cancel those nights, the person I spoke with was shocked that I had three nights in a row...

I've been Inner Circle for 3, maybe 4 years. I have had positive experiences 95% of the time with few exceptions (the SF Palomar during renovations in March of this year as one very notable example). My amenity is fairly simple (fruit and water), and is typically great. It has been less than ideal at some locations, but I can't recall off the top of my head. I'm also upgraded to a suite 80% of the time.

I did have a difficult time utilizing my free new hotel night when the Monaco opened in Philadelphia last year, and I did not receive a loyalty reward in 2013, although I did in 2012 and 2011. For me the most significant downgrade has been the 12 (vs. 24) month expiration period for free nights. But that happened some time ago.

Overall I'm quite pleased.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I love kimpton also, I wish I could stay more often but I'm often in cities without a Kimpton hotel. I still manage to do 20+ a year.

Anyways, I have had enormous difficulty using my free nights. I recently tried to use it in NYC and only found Sundays and Mondays available. I hope they fix this!
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Costco Executive Member, Safeway Club Card
I am ready to learn of the new program changes. The Kimpton Facebook has been teasing it for the last couple days with the mystery symbols.

"Things have a way of coming full circle. What would you like to see out of our new loyalty program?" People's comments have varied from consistency of treatment between all properties, easier award redemptions, and then the usual ask for more such as easier to earn free nights, free breakfast, free valet parking, easier to earn inner circle status.

I'm guessing the 4 symbols represent the new tier levels (perhaps a bump in tier every 5 stays with top tier being 20+ stays.)

KimptonInTouch : I am one stay away from renewing Inner Circle (some property rates are through the roof right now at 400-600/night), do I or others need to worry about getting a quick stay(s) in before the launch of the new program?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.