Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

Kimpton charging for not-taken minibar items

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 1:57 pm
Company Representative - Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants

Programs: Kimpton Karma Rewards
Hi Everyone,

SO sorry our spiffy new email address is a dud. I'll be speaking to my friends in IT about that. In the meantime - and I'm sorry to make you go through the extra steps - would anyone who's having this issue please send me a private message and I'll make sure all of your erroneous charges are credited.

And no, StackM. A week's delay in either the hotel or our Kimpton Karma desk getting back to you is not normal. It's disappointing.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Susan
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: Currently: UA 1K | Previously: AS MVPG75K, SPG Gold, Kimpton IC, HH Gold
I'm a Kimpton IC and this hasn't happened to me yet. Perhaps the people at Hotel Vintage (Seattle) don't have this issue. I'm at the hotel every couple weeks, for business. I use my Raid The Bar benefit maybe half the time, and always mention upon checkout whether I used it or not, and what I took.

Also, I am exceptionally good looking. So, I just get free stuff. Y'know, for free.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Kimpton Inner Circle, Hertz PC
Out of my 8 stays at the monaco in Philadelphia this year, I did have this happen to me once. I called and they quickly refunded me. I always get my receipt from Kimpton electronically and noticed the mischarge immediately on my e-receipt.

I love everything about kimpton, so once in a while this is not a big deal for me, although I can definitely understand the frustration for the folks who have had this happen more frequently.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Costco Executive Member, Safeway Club Card
Originally Posted by BluHorseshoe
Out of my 8 stays at the monaco in Philadelphia this year, I did have this happen to me once. I called and they quickly refunded me. I always get my receipt from Kimpton electronically and noticed the mischarge immediately on my e-receipt.
e-receipt? Tell me more...
Old Nov 7, 2014, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by BluHorseshoe

I love everything about kimpton, so once in a while this is not a big deal for me, although I can definitely understand the frustration for the folks who have had this happen more frequently.
Originally Posted by RogerMurdock
e-receipt? Tell me more...
Blast! Just got hit with one of these mischarges. Simple resolution but a pain to detect.

I am VERY curious about the e-receipt since the only option I have been told is the paper receipt at check-out.

Knock on wood...luckily these mischarges have only happened on personal stays. It would be a much bigger pain for me on business stays due to our company expense reporting software and the difficulty of reconciling refunds. So much so that I would probably just let it go and say that I ate/drank the item.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Check your bills carefully... on my last stay I had the Raid the Mini Bar apply as a positive amount, not a credit -- i.e. they charged me double for the minibar item. Yikes! Had to call to get that fixed.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Just stayed at a Kimpton where there was a mini-bar charge after I left. I called and it was immediately removed. When I asked what might have occurred, I was advised that a third party handles the mini-bar and that on occasion room numbers might be inadvertently transposed. Otherwise, I haven't had any issues with unwarranted charges.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Sounds like systematic revenue enhancement.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:01 am

Damn! Just got nailed for a small mystery amount on a business stay. This is at a property that uses the red "access pull tab" on the mini fridge too (which I left intact.)

*All past errant Kimpton charges have been beverage related.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle, HHonors Silver, Delta Gold Medallion
Add the Seattle Palladian to the list of perpetrators.

I took $9 worth of items from the minibar and saw that it was properly charged and then credited (Raid The Bar) on my folio as I departed.

Two days later, a separate $21 charge popped up on my credit card statement. It turns out they not only charged me the $9 again but also added a mini-bottle of vodka that I didn't consume. It took a 10-minute phone conversation to get the charge reversed.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt

I had a ~$50 room rate charge added to an award stay. Didn't catch it on the way out but when reviewing my bill later I saw it. Two calls to the hotel and it was immediately removed. First call was later at night and the person who could remove such charges was home for the night.

Cheers
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by thegrailer
I had a ~$50 room rate charge added to an award stay. Didn't catch it on the way out but when reviewing my bill later I saw it. Two calls to the hotel and it was immediately removed. First call was later at night and the person who could remove such charges was home for the night.

Cheers
This was a room rate charge on an award stay? What was the explanation since this doesn't sound like a minibar mistake charge.

Was this under the guise of resort fees or something similar?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:25 pm

Had to follow up on several of these lately. Not difficult but it is time consuming.
I really hope there is a solution in the works.

I don't have any good ideas but a notification would be nice so that we don't have to sleuth these out on our own via cross referencing credit card statements.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by RogerMurdock
Had to follow up on several of these lately. Not difficult but it is time consuming.
I really hope there is a solution in the works.
The solution is to run a competent business. I know of no other hotel chain where this is a regular issue. I really can't figure out how/why Kimpton has let this be for so long. They do such a good job with other issues that it's a shame something like this leaves a bad impression on guests.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles, SPG
Funny, just checked out of Hotel La Jolla and noticed on my emailed receipt an extra mini bar purchase that we didn't take also. No provisional folio under the door to review and the item wasn't on the list of charges read to me at checkout. Ah well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.