Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Air Berlin Baggage Question - extra ticket for excess baggage?

Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

We shall be spending a few weeks in Europe and have F tickets for main long haul segments on BA. For a segment between Berlin and Zurich, we shall be buying a separate ticket. I have read good reviews about Air Berlin and their prices for the 1.5 hour trip between Berlin and Zurich is great.

Yet we will not be able to pack as light as 20kg per person given it is a long trip. Plus it will be kind of silly to limit ourselves to 20 Kg each if we have F on other segments.

I note from the Air Berlin site that they charge 8 Euros/kg for excess on that kind of route. Hence, if we are say, 30 kg over in total it will be 240 Euros between us, the price of two tickets between Berlin and Zurich.

Q: Is it possible just to buy one or two extra tickets for the excess baggage?

Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 1:59 am

No, but you can buy a "Top Bonus Service Card" (validity one year) in advance for 40 EUR which will give you 30 kg allowance instead of 20 kg.
http://www.airberlin.com/site/tb/pro...rdType=service
Old Jan 11, 2009, 3:06 am
Original Poster

XL seat?

Thank you very much Jarino. I intend to join the top bonus service. It seems a very good deal.

It mentions a discount of 10 Euros on an XL seat - what is that?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Thank you very much Jarino. I intend to join the top bonus service. It seems a very good deal.

It mentions a discount of 10 Euros on an XL seat - what is that?
XL Seats are the exit seats in row 12 or 13. I am AB Gold and get these seat for free. Very good comfort for money. Regarding your luggage: I never ever had problems with my hand luggage on AB and I pack verrryy heavy.

And: You can pack everything in a golf bag - they transport this free of charge
Old Jan 11, 2009, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Golf Bag/ Sports bag

Flying Lawyer, thank you for your response.

Indeed I was thinking what precisely the other 30kg piece of sports equipment bag meant. We often ski but will not be skiing that holiday. I was wondering whether swimming things including swimming clothes, towels, sandals and other related items would count.

In fact, does anyone have experience as to how the sports equipment bag is treated?

Thank you.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 6:05 am

Programs: Celebrity Elite Plus, RCCL Diamond, Princess Platinum, Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Flying Lawyer, thank you for your response.

Indeed I was thinking what precisely the other 30kg piece of sports equipment bag meant. We often ski but will not be skiing that holiday. I was wondering whether swimming things including swimming clothes, towels, sandals and other related items would count.

In fact, does anyone have experience as to how the sports equipment bag is treated?

Thank you.
It used to be easier than it is now. We live part of the year on Tenerife, Canary Islands and part in Germany. We used to take an extra bag - up to 30 kg. - filled with books, household goods, etc. etc. and top it off with a pair of swim fins, snorkel, and such, and get it checked through as "sports/diving equipment" for our new house on Tenerife. A couple of times at pre-evening check-in I ended up with an Air-Berlin mgr. on duty. He wanted to see the contents of the bag. I said that it was my husband's case and I was just pre-checking us both in, and that my husband had the key for the lock. He actually walked with me to the screening area and had the bag put on the belt. Luckily the young men at the security belt "verified" that it contained sports equipment. YMMV.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Sports baggage

Tenerife, thank you for the reply.

I am thinking that we will only have one sports bag between the family of 3 weighing probably no mre than 18 kgs - containing things one can actually find in the gym, eg swimming and sports clothes, underwear, sandals, running shoes, goggles, hats, some toiletries as those will also be appropriate for gym bag.

If I do NOT include items beyond what I have stated above, then it ought to be safe?

To quote from their website - http://www.airberlin.com/site/tb/pro...rdType=service

and

http://www.airberlin.com/site/flug_g...ng#sportgeaeck

their terminology is "One additional item of sports baggage/ equipment up to 30 kg free of charge (e.g. bicycle or surfboard)",

So items I intend to pack (above) ought to come within their rules.

What does everyone think?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
This should put you on the safe side. Invest 40 Euro, get 10 kg extra luggage plus a sports bag. We always take our dogs to PMI and they have a foldable cage, pretty heavy. This is always declared as sporting equipemnt, never had problems. We get 10 kg extra each because we stay longer (28+ days), 10 kg extra because of FF status and the sporting cage...

ZRH is a route for business travel. Most people have a small boardcase. I do not expect them to be any difficult....
Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Thank you.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Top Bonus Card now costs Euros 59-69!

http://www.airberlin.com/site/tb/pro...rdType=service
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:30 am

Air Berlin Luggage

When i purchased my husbands ticket from Berlin to Zurich i did not buy him luggage (didnt know i had to). He and my son had to pay 190Euro at the airport. I dont want this to happen when they return to Berlin but their site does not allow me to buy luggage. Or am i missing something
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:21 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Originally Posted by pinkroach
When i purchased my husbands ticket from Berlin to Zurich i did not buy him luggage (didnt know i had to). He and my son had to pay 190Euro at the airport. I dont want this to happen when they return to Berlin but their site does not allow me to buy luggage. Or am i missing something
You can add extra luggage to your booking online up to 30 hrs. before departure for the following fees. At checkin or at the airport there will be a surcharge.

Quote from AB website:

Additional baggage and excess baggage

If your baggage exceeds the quantity and/or weight specifications of the fare booked, it is regarded as excess baggage.

Up to 30 hours before departure, the following charges apply to your first piece of excess baggage up to 23 kg:
Just Fly Short and medium-haul: 15 - 35
FlyDeal, FlyClassic, FlyFlex Short and medium-haul: 70 - 90
Long-haul: 150
FlyFlex Short and medium-haul: 70
Long-haul: 150
Business Class Long-haul: 150

Charges apply for multiple excess baggage items, baggage heavier than 23 kg, and last-minute registration.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:14 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by pinkroach
you can login to your booking at airberlin.com and add a piece of luggage online.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.