FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Berlin Baggage Question - extra ticket for excess baggage?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 6:05 am
Tenerife

Programs: Celebrity Elite Plus, RCCL Diamond, Princess Platinum, Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Flying Lawyer, thank you for your response.

Indeed I was thinking what precisely the other 30kg piece of sports equipment bag meant. We often ski but will not be skiing that holiday. I was wondering whether swimming things including swimming clothes, towels, sandals and other related items would count.

In fact, does anyone have experience as to how the sports equipment bag is treated?

Thank you.
It used to be easier than it is now. We live part of the year on Tenerife, Canary Islands and part in Germany. We used to take an extra bag - up to 30 kg. - filled with books, household goods, etc. etc. and top it off with a pair of swim fins, snorkel, and such, and get it checked through as "sports/diving equipment" for our new house on Tenerife. A couple of times at pre-evening check-in I ended up with an Air-Berlin mgr. on duty. He wanted to see the contents of the bag. I said that it was my husband's case and I was just pre-checking us both in, and that my husband had the key for the lock. He actually walked with me to the screening area and had the bag put on the belt. Luckily the young men at the security belt "verified" that it contained sports equipment. YMMV.