Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by bitburgr
Can anyone share info on exit row leg room on Norwegian 787-8 planes? My son is going JFK-CDG on a class trip. I'm happy to pay for a set with extra legroom as he will need it. Seat guru doesn't offer much help.

Trying to avoid paying for Premium unless that's my only option for him.

Do the (limited number of) exit row seats actually have more leg room? Any ideas about pricing? We tried calling, but don't have a PNR number yet and customer service isn't much help without that.

Thanks.
It's $45.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:31 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question SWF query

I see Norwegian has announced service to Europe out of SWF.
The review of this airport is not great:
http://crankyflier.com/2016/12/19/no...ional-airport/
Any FTs with experience flying out of this airport?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:41 pm

First flight JFK-ARN

New poster here...

I booked a DY flight super cheap from JFK-ARN and then ARN-LGW on flex fare with a prebooked seat and only carryon. I booked it online using the Swedish version of the website for even more savings.

I was very anxious flying them for the first time having read mixed reviews especially regarding delayed flights.

I was pleasantly surprised. At JFK I was however disappointed at the quality of T1... very limited and poor dining options and only a few places to charge electronics. However boarding was quick and flight took off and arrived on time. The Boeing dreamliner is a very nice plane only complaints are that the overhead lockers seem small and the seat pocket was small as well. There was also no music on in flight entertainment... FA said it was removed due to copyright issues. Seats were comfortable and plane was very modern and clean. The lack of many people ordering in flight meals made the cabin much less busy and dirty and I was happy to eat my own airport bought food although next time I will buy it before the airport. The people sitting next to me were very happy as well and were able to sit together even though they didn't prebook seats.

Being a small airport arriving in ARN passport control was super fast and friendly and even though I only had 2 hrs for my connecting flight to LGW I was past customs and back through security with tons of time to spare. ARN T5 also didn't have many dining options however was very clean and organized.

ARN-LGW was also great no issues... typical intra EU budget airline experience aka easyjet.

With that said however I can see the late hours that DY flights depart JFK being an issue.. any delays mean you are sitting in T1 in the middle of the night with no food options. The JFK-LGW direct flight was delayed 3 hrs with a 3am takeoff time. I was glad I took the indirect route.
Sluggh likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:40 pm

Bkk - osl - mco

Norwegian has the best price and routing, one stop Bangkok to Orlando using B787-9 aircraft. For folks that have traveled this route or internationally with them, how is the seating for both economy and premium economy? Seatguru shows 32 inch pitch for economy and 46 inch pitch for premium. Are meals included in the price?

Thanks for any info provided.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by floridastorm
Norwegian has the best price and routing, one stop Bangkok to Orlando using B787-9 aircraft. For folks that have traveled this route or internationally with them, how is the seating for both economy and premium economy? Seatguru shows 32 inch pitch for economy and 46 inch pitch for premium. Are meals included in the price?

In the cheapest offers, no meals or drinks included for economy. It probably makes sense to buy that add on rather than buying items individually onboard. The seating in economy is 3-3-3 on the 787.

Meals and drinks are included in Premium Economy.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:56 am

I flew premium economy on the 787 from CPH-MCO and found the seating to be quite acceptable. The cabin feels airy and open, lots of leg room, good-sized screens for the entertainment. I believe there are power connections including USB for your own devices.

The windows are larger than other aircraft and dim nicely throughout the flight. Food was acceptable.

I did not walk back through economy so cannot comment on how cramped it was. I would definitely fly Norwegian again and would select premium economy.

By comparison, for a similar price and route, I can fly in Icelandair's Saga class or SAS economy extra. I think the seats are more comfortable than either of those on Norwegian; certainly the pitch is better. The meals are a bit better on Icelandair's Saga (their version of business class, but more like premium economy) and SAS economy extra meals probably similar or a step up from Norwegian premium economy.

I never expect a lot out of airline meals in E+ so when it's decent, I'm satisfied. But for the right price and route, I can recommend Norwegian's premium economy on the 787.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It probably makes sense to buy that add on rather than buying items individually onboard.
It makes sense not only from a price standpoint, but if you have not pre-ordered the meal service and only buy on board, you have to wait until all the pre-ordered meals have been served before they fulfill the buy-on-board requests.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SusanDK
It makes sense not only from a price standpoint, but if you have not pre-ordered the meal service and only buy on board, you have to wait until all the pre-ordered meals have been served before they fulfill the buy-on-board requests.
It does make for a strange service flow. Going through the cabin twice. Once for pre order and once for selling... I wonder if the meal service is fairly long, especially on night flights?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by SusanDK
I flew premium economy on the 787 from CPH-MCO and found the seating to be quite acceptable. The cabin feels airy and open, lots of leg room, good-sized screens for the entertainment. I believe there are power connections including USB for your own devices.

The windows are larger than other aircraft and dim nicely throughout the flight. Food was acceptable.

I did not walk back through economy so cannot comment on how cramped it was. I would definitely fly Norwegian again and would select premium economy.

By comparison, for a similar price and route, I can fly in Icelandair's Saga class or SAS economy extra. I think the seats are more comfortable than either of those on Norwegian; certainly the pitch is better. The meals are a bit better on Icelandair's Saga (their version of business class, but more like premium economy) and SAS economy extra meals probably similar or a step up from Norwegian premium economy.

I never expect a lot out of airline meals in E+ so when it's decent, I'm satisfied. But for the right price and route, I can recommend Norwegian's premium economy on the 787.
I've just recently watched some You Tube videos on Norwegian Air. A few of the videos are in depth reviews by people who are pretty good at documenting their travels. It does look like the seating is as good if not better than Delta, American, or United. The 787 is obviously a superb plane. The pricing is very good for long haul. My wife and I travel between Bangkok and Orlando about once a year. I know that Norwegian charges for just about every extra and also charges for checked luggage. I wonder if the price for Premium Economy includes meals, drinks, and two checked bags per person? I know that you can use the Business Class lounges.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:52 am

I wonder if the price for Premium Economy includes meals, drinks, and two checked bags per person?
Yes, it does. I cannot remember how frequently they went through the cabin with refreshments, but everything was free. We flew a year ago so I do not remember all the details, but we certainly had no complaints. I'm sure we had pre-dinner drinks, wine with dinner along with sparkling water, and enough still water throughout the flight that I do not remember feeling deprived (and I drink a lot of water, so appreciate when it freely available).

I do not remember if there was a pre-departure beverage but think there might have been.

Our only complaint was with an annoying passenger behind us (elderly woman) who was moaning a lot and had a flatulence problem, but halfway through the flight we moved from our 2-seats on the side (window/aisle) to an empty 3-seat row in the middle of the plane where we could stretch out even more.

While I've read a lot of complaints about DY, we were satisfied (albeit an experience of two flights only) and would not hesitate to fly again if the route is convenient. We would have used them this year, but they changed to seasonal on the CPH-MCO flight and only re-started in March and we were traveling in January and we did not want a connecting flight.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:56 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Of which around 230 are narrow body short haul planes. Taking on Ryanair, Easyjet, and the European short haul market as the main target.
So, I was in Milwaukee for a meeting yesterday and a couple of folks I was meeting with told me how they flew Norweigian out of Milwaukee down to Mexico (one to Cancun, the other to Puerto Vallarata).

I arrived at the airport a few hours before my flight yesterday evening and sure enough there were two Norweigian 737's parked on the D concourse ... parked there the whole time I was there with no activity.

From this article it appears these are charter flights, so I'm guessing maybe Norweigian doesn't really have any risk on these flights. BUT, I'm not sure how any airline can make much money with brand new planes just parked for hours on end during the day.

Where are the crews for these flights coming from? Do they have a crew base in MKE?

The business model for their operations in MKE seems dubious to me ...
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beckles
So, I was in Milwaukee for a meeting yesterday and a couple of folks I was meeting with told me how they flew Norweigian out of Milwaukee down to Mexico (one to Cancun, the other to Puerto Vallarata).

I arrived at the airport a few hours before my flight yesterday evening and sure enough there were two Norweigian 737's parked on the D concourse ... parked there the whole time I was there with no activity.

From this article it appears these are charter flights, so I'm guessing maybe Norweigian doesn't really have any risk on these flights. BUT, I'm not sure how any airline can make much money with brand new planes just parked for hours on end during the day.

Where are the crews for these flights coming from? Do they have a crew base in MKE?

The business model for their operations in MKE seems dubious to me ...
That is an interesting one. I know that they have been operating New York to Martinique and other islands in the Caribean that are overseas teritories of EU nations, thus Falling under the EU US open skies agreement. The argument was amongst others that they had spare capacity of planes in the European Winter season.

I guess the reason for operating these are the same. However I do wonder how they get permission to operate between US and Mexico? I guess it has to be somesort of wetlease construction.

I guess as opposed to parking the planes the whole day if the capacity is not needed at all, this is still favourable. Any revenue on the airframe is better than zero revenue on the airframe.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:55 am

DY will begin 2 x weekly service to DEN and 4 x weekly service to SEA from LGW starting mid September.

Denver - Begins 16SEP17

DY7171 LGW 09:50 - DEN 12:40 789 26
DY7172 DEN 14:40 - LGW 16:40 789 26

Seattle - Begins 16SEP17

DY7131 LGW 09:50 - SEA 11:45 789 x246
DY7132 SEA 13:45 - LGW 07:05 789 x246

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...from-sep-2017/
Old May 2, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm just learning about Norwegian and wondering if anyone can help. I am in Denver and I was playing around with some destinations from DEN to Spain in October. There were many flights to Spain, but none returning back to DEN. Any thoughts on why that is?
Old May 2, 2017, 8:10 pm

I was also playing with DEN-> Europe today and had to start travel out of BOS. DEN doesn't seem to be loaded into their system yet. You see the problem if you look for DEN on the "where we fly" page.

Use JetBlue to hop to BOS, then you could use Norwegian or IcelandAir to hop to Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.